Administrative Assistant

Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Steez1982 will become famous soon enoughSteez1982 will become famous soon enough
Default Administrative Assistant

does this count as relevant work experience?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:19 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Administrative Assistant

Your position or title is completely irrelevant and nobody can tell you if your experience counts if the only information you provided is "administrative assistant".

You need to do some homework yourself my friend. You need to do some reverse engineering to find out the answer.

First - only work experience in occupations listed in NOC Matrix in skills level 0, A and B counts. Matrix is here:

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/generic/matrix.pdf

In order to claim experience in certain occupation you must have performed at work substantial number of main duties and all essential duties listed in that particular occupation's description here:

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/groups/index.shtml

So, the reverse engineering works like this:

- you look into descriptions of occupations you think may match your work experience and find the one or more (as you can claim experience in more than one skilled occupation) occupations in which your experience fits the requirement to perform substantial number of main duties and all essential duties as listed in such occupation's NOC description. Write down NOC numbers and occupations you narrowed down and see in what skills level they are listed in NOC matrix. If one (or more) of occupations you selected is (are) in skills level 0, A or B then you can claim it.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Steez1982 will become famous soon enoughSteez1982 will become famous soon enough

Hmm okay here is my job spec:

Management and co-ordination of diaries for meetings
Arranging, scheduling and supporting meetings;
Preparation and circulation of documents for meetings and following up on actions arising from them;
Production of all correspondence (drafting letters, memos etc.)
Management of hardcopy and softcopy filing systems to provide complete audit trail for all correspondence
Prepare Powerpoint and other visual presentations;
Making travel arrangements as appropriate for the Chairperson and Co-ordinator;
Monitoring of budgets and expenditure;
Assisting in research and drafting of papers;
Maintaining and managing data entry process;
Photocopying, compiling and distributing information as required.

Whaddya reckon?
Old Aug 19th 2007, 2:45 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry but I can't do your homework for you - you must do it yourself. Follow my instructions for "reverse engineering".
Old Aug 19th 2007, 2:52 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steez1982
does this count as relevant work experience?
Here's a tip. Go look at the Canadian government's job opportunity website (the bit on jobs open to the public). There are many Admin Assistant positions. The adverts come with very detailed specifications regarding qualifications, duties and experience.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

thanks! just off to do some "reverse engineering" now