Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

ACRO police check shows cautions - problem for IEC?

ACRO police check shows cautions - problem for IEC?

Old Mar 16th 2019, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

ollytom123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACRO police check shows cautions - problem for IEC?

Hello! I am please looking for some last minute advice for my IEC application as I just received my UK ACRO record back and it has 2 cautions as follows-
1- September 2008 'possess ketamine - class c controlled drug on 7/9/08' caution
2- March 2012 'possessing controlled drug - class a - cocaine on 26/2/12' caution.

I have been living and working on WH visas for the last 5

years in Australia, New Zealand and Japan and all the records for these countries are clean.
I have read threads of similar situations and seen advice to contact CHC London and try and get written advice that the caution is not a conviction and that hopefully that will help my case. However I am currently travelling and due to a series of small errors (applying for a CRB instead of ACRO originally etc) I have until the 20th March to submit my police checks as I've already completed the rest of my application!
Can anyone please offer any advice for my best course of action? Should I just send in all my checks with a letter explaining that I was young and foolish and haven't been in any trouble in any country since then? Or just send the checks without a cover note and see what comes back? Should I include the CRB check that has no convictions on? Is there any way of contacting the CHC London via phone for something like this (as I couldn't find any phone numbers, only web help forms)? Or is it doomed?...
Many thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 16th 2019, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO police check shows cautions - problem for IEC?

You can’t contact them by phone I’m afraid, and a CRB check will mean a rejection as that’s not what is asked for. All you can do is submit the ACPO check and I would suggest the covering letter is a good idea.

Good luck.

Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

ollytom123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! The letter idea paid off and I was granted a work visa today, woohoooo!
However, in the message it does say that this is not 'an authorisation permitting you to enter Canada'. Is there any chance that I could be turned away at the border because of my cautions, despite having a visa?
Hopefully not and I'm good to go now!
Old Mar 21st 2019, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ollytom123
Thanks! The letter idea paid off and I was granted a work visa today, woohoooo!
However, in the message it does say that this is not 'an authorisation permitting you to enter Canada'. Is there any chance that I could be turned away at the border because of my cautions, despite having a visa?
Hopefully not and I'm good to go now!
You don't actually have a visa until you arrive in Canada, you just have a Letter of Introduction and the actual IEC is granted once you get there pending final checks i.e. funds, insurance, etc. So yes, you could still be refused entry, same as anybody else (not Canadian citizens obviously). But you've essentially been 'pre-approved', so it's unlikely.

Good luck.