Accounting jobs in Canada

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

abcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accounting jobs in Canada

Folks,

My friend will be finishing her undergraduate accounting degree from a US college by Dec 2005. For her except that degree, no real life work experience however no doubts about her personal integrity, work ethics, and academic strengths.

She plans to move to Alberta or may be somewhere in Ontario...So question is how are her chances of getting one accounting job in Canada without prior work experience... In US, accounting market is booming, however lately for legal aliens, there are so many restrictions

She has Canadian PR, only thing holding her here yet is un-completed BS degree...

Thanks for your time.....Please comment

Regards
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

bold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accounting jobs in Canada

I got a bachelor in accounting from US and moved to Toronto 6 months ago. I do have three years of experience but you will be asked a Canadian experience. Here is the important point: all depends on your freind. If she is smart, has a good resume and knows how to handle an innterview, then no worreis. I am serious. Prepare for everything before coming. Don't try to apply for a job from a abroad. It is a waste of time.

Good luck

Originally Posted by abcd
Folks,

My friend will be finishing her undergraduate accounting degree from a US college by Dec 2005. For her except that degree, no real life work experience however no doubts about her personal integrity, work ethics, and academic strengths.

She plans to move to Alberta or may be somewhere in Ontario...So question is how are her chances of getting one accounting job in Canada without prior work experience... In US, accounting market is booming, however lately for legal aliens, there are so many restrictions

She has Canadian PR, only thing holding her here yet is un-completed BS degree...

Regards
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks my man!! At least you did not say that there are no accounting jobs in canada, ...Other things you mentioned as in the personality requirements are so subjective...Thanks again..
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Folks,

Regards
It would probably make sense for her to complete her degree and obtain the US CPA qualification. She should check the website of the provincial CA/CGA body where she intends to live to see how they recognise US CPA - it may vary depending on the state board concerned.

Canadian employers may well recognise US CPA anyway. She can study for the CPA while living in Canada (many state boards do not require residence and she can go back to the US for the exam).

Is she a US citizen?

Jeremy
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks Jermy...nope she is not US citizen, 8th year on H4 status
....what was your chain of thought on that......

About CPA, thanks for the suggestion that is in her plans..in typical immigrant do-it-too style...

All this information is so helping...God bless!

Last edited by abcd; Apr 19th 2005 at 12:26 pm. Reason: adding new sentence
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Jermy...nope she is not US citizen, 8th year on H4 status
....what was your chain of thought on that......
A matter of opinion, but permanent residence in Canada (and ultimately citizenship) is better than nonimmigrant status in the US.

About CPA, thanks for the suggestion that is in her plans..in typical immigrant do-it-too style...
The Uniform CPA exam can only be done in the US, so if she doesn't complete it before moving to Canada she will need a US tourist visa if she does not have a visa waiver passport.

Jeremy