About the medical exam...HELP!

Old Dec 9th 2004, 6:31 am
atm
Just Joined

atm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About the medical exam...HELP!

Hi people!
We applied as a family in 2001, my husband as the principal applicant. passed the interview last october 2004 and did medicals oct.25th. as someone from the medical field, they are fussy about my xray. did a ppd test on me and got a positive result. they did further physical examinations and got cleared according to protocol given to them by Ca Embassy. after a month, got a letter from the embassy requesting further exams like sputum test and repeat xray 3 months after initial med exam. undergoing sputum exam at present. question, will my present status affect our application? we we're really hoping for a pp request soon and I'm afraid this will greatly affect our timeframe, not to mention the class action lawsuit issue about applications before jan. 2002. really need an expert's advice on our situation now. please help. thanks!
atm
Old Dec 9th 2004, 6:38 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: About the medical exam...HELP!

Final decision won't be made until all - principal applicant and his/her dependants - pass all admissibility checks, medicals included.

Originally Posted by atm
Hi people!
We applied as a family in 2001, my husband as the principal applicant. passed the interview last october 2004 and did medicals oct.25th. as someone from the medical field, they are fussy about my xray. did a ppd test on me and got a positive result. they did further physical examinations and got cleared according to protocol given to them by Ca Embassy. after a month, got a letter from the embassy requesting further exams like sputum test and repeat xray 3 months after initial med exam. undergoing sputum exam at present. question, will my present status affect our application? we we're really hoping for a pp request soon and I'm afraid this will greatly affect our timeframe, not to mention the class action lawsuit issue about applications before jan. 2002. really need an expert's advice on our situation now. please help. thanks!
atm
Old Dec 9th 2004, 6:41 am
atm
Just Joined

Thanks Mr. Miller for your prompt reply.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 6:49 am
atm
Just Joined

Hi! It's me again...
Just needed some reassurance, I guess. The letter they gave us said they will notify us within the next 3-6 months if
1. they need additional documents or information (in our case, they needed addl. info about my medical status) or
2. pp request for visa issuance.

question, is it still a good sign for us?

before, in their letters, there is a 3rd option which is "if application is denied".

I know that they will just require me to take some preventive medications if something comes up with my medical results. any comments? thanks.

atm
Old Dec 9th 2004, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atm
Hi people!
atm
I can't say for sure but I will tell you what happened to me. There is a cloud on my left lung. I knew it would show up in x-ray so I brought letter from my doctor explaining it was from 1998 pneumonia. They requested my previous x-rays, and I sent them. I was admitted, but there was a "medical undertaking" form attached to my COPR requiring me to report to the infectious disease center where I am immigrating within 30 days of landing. The form came with a letter saying that their doctors had determined I have "inactive TB".

My doctor thought it was silly but I told her I have to play by the rules. So I had skin prick test done. Negative. Then I gave them sputum samples (except I have no sputum, but I did the best I could). My doctor in the states can't understand why they need sputum samples when the skin prick shows I was never exposed. No matter--they are making the rules. In your case, I assume they are attempting to rule out any active contagion.

Basically, it is likely if you don't have active TB that you will be admitted, but require monitoring. If they think it is something more serious, who knows? But I have heard several stories of people in your situation being admitted contingent on monitoring.

Good luck
Old Dec 11th 2004, 11:20 am
atm
Just Joined

Hello MrBosco!

Thanks for your reply. Here's my story...they said there are calcifications showing in my xray. They're thinking that I got exposed to TB before but thanks to my immune system, they said it's already cured that's why I had those calcifications. They did a skin test on me and I got a positive result. My sister, who is a medical doctor, said that almost all will test positive on that particular test even the DMP who gave me the injection. Finished with my sputum exam and I'll be getting the results this coming week. They also requested another xray by January. Well, what can we do? We are at their mercy and they call the shots. My sister also told me to get on with it just to comply and even if I get a positive result, that won't be a hindrance cause they'll just ask me to take some medications. I hope everything will be alright. Again, thanks for your story and your encouragement. I really appreciate it.

atm
Old Dec 11th 2004, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atm
Hello MrBosco!

Thanks for your reply. Here's my story...they said there are calcifications showing in my xray. They're thinking that I got exposed to TB before but thanks to my immune system, they said it's already cured that's why I had those calcifications. They did a skin test on me and I got a positive result. My sister, who is a medical doctor, said that almost all will test positive on that particular test even the DMP who gave me the injection. Finished with my sputum exam and I'll be getting the results this coming week. They also requested another xray by January. Well, what can we do? We are at their mercy and they call the shots. My sister also told me to get on with it just to comply and even if I get a positive result, that won't be a hindrance cause they'll just ask me to take some medications. I hope everything will be alright. Again, thanks for your story and your encouragement. I really appreciate it.

atm

I am not an expert, but I have heard stories like yours. My guess is, if they decide you don't have anything active, they will admit you with a medical surveillance undertaking. This is not a big deal. You just have to report to public health authorities within 30 days of landing. It only becomes a big deal if you want to land and them go back to your home country for a while before moving.

Good luck.