Abandon hope at 46?

Old May 21st 2019, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Lollylou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abandon hope at 46?

Hi
I'm looking for some advice please. My partner and I (46 & 44) and our 9-yr old daughter are looking to make a permanent move to Ontario. However, I'm beginning to think we have left it just too late! Neither of us has enough points for EE and I've been told that we are too old to really be considered for any economic / job-related visa and that the only way would be to have a job offer. However, this seems almost impossible when we are both based in the UK.

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received, thank you.
Old May 21st 2019, 9:21 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abandon hope at 46?

The only way you will find out is by checking your CRS and proceeding from there. Are you looking at the FSW stream.

What are your numbers on here: Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Remember that regardless of what you score on CRS, you would need 67 on the FSW calculator to qualify for the federal skilled immigrant program.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

There are other routes usually available if you don't meet the criteria but some of them can be expensive and/or offer less reassurance.

Good luck.
Old May 21st 2019, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks
My CRS is 335 and the FSW score is 66 I think!
So near and yet so far!
Old May 21st 2019, 1:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lollylou
Hi
Thanks
My CRS is 335 and the FSW score is 66 I think!
So near and yet so far!
Are you sure you're a 66? If you are then you may be able to push yourself over the 67 somehow. You don't need to excel at the FSW test, just hitting the pass mark is usually sufficient.

Considering people were invited with a 332 CRS this month and last year it went under 300, I wouldn't say that you're totally at a loss here. It depends on how you're calculating that 335 though. Is that based on assumed full IELTS scores, ECA's for you both etc?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...vitations.html

Last edited by DigitalGhost; May 21st 2019 at 1:43 pm.
Old May 21st 2019, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Considering people were invited with a 332 CRS this month, I wouldn't say that you're totally at a loss here.
332 was only for those applying under Federal Skilled Trades (electricians, plumbers, etc) though, which has a MUCH lower points threshold than Federal Skilled Workers. The OP hasn't said what they do for jobs, if either of them qualify under FST then that's great, but if not 332 is far too low.

OP - unless FST is an option, then a job offer is the way to go, but you're right that you are unlikely to get one from the UK. You need to get out to Canada and job-hunt in person. Network, network, network! Don't give up hope, but you will need to be prepared to put the leg work in. Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how to go about finding that all important job offer.

Perhaps most importantly, what do you do? And would you consider a province other than Ontario?
Old May 21st 2019, 1:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
332 was only for those applying under Federal Skilled Trades (electricians, plumbers, etc) though, which has a MUCH lower points threshold than Federal Skilled Workers. The OP hasn't said what they do for jobs, if either of them qualify under FST then that's great, but if not 332 is far too low.
Ahhh, that makes sense then. Sorry, my mistake. I did think those numbers seemed a bit unbelievable tbh.
Old May 21st 2019, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Ahhh, that makes sense then. Sorry, my mistake. I did think those numbers seemed a bit unbelievable tbh.
No probs. It's actually much higher than the usual FST level score by about 50 points, much to the annoyance of a lot of FST applicants! They don't do FST draws very often so a lot of people were waiting on that one.

It's still about 450 or higher as a rough guide for FSW applicants, hasn't changed much in the past 12-18 months.
Old May 21st 2019, 1:56 pm
Sidecar Falcon

No probs. It's actually much higher than the usual FST level score by about 50 points, much to the annoyance of a lot of FST applicants! They don't do FST draws very often so a lot of people were waiting on that one.

It's still about 450 or higher as a rough guide for FSW applicants, hasn't changed much in the past 12-18 months.
I never really looked into FST much when I did my own EE application mainly because it didn't apply to me but I've just taken a look through the requirements for it. It's strange that I recall many of those trades were the people Canada was really looking for back when I first started looking at moving there in the days of 'the list'.
Old May 22nd 2019, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice and help.

I work in administration (NOC 0421) and my partner is currently working in sales, so neither of us has a "trade" as such.

I'm only looking at Ontario as my son lives there. He is 17, so I don't think I can count him on any application, because a relative in Canada has to be 18 or over. To be honest, he is the main reason I want to move to Canada.
Old May 22nd 2019, 5:06 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I work in administration (NOC 0421) and my partner is currently working in sales, so neither of us has a "trade" as such.

I'm only looking at Ontario as my son lives there. He is 17, so I don't think I can count him on any application, because a relative in Canada has to be 18 or over. To be honest, he is the main reason I want to move to Canada.
Are you sure you're 0421? 0421 isn't for regular office administrators. It mostly covers program and faculty management roles in higher education and is in Canada's highest skill level index.

I'm assuming you've looked into this immigrant stream already, right? Your son may be able to sponsor you and therefore your skills would be largely immaterial from an immigration standpoint. He would need to meet financial requirements though which would be beyond the means of most teenagers. What is his status in Canada?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

Last edited by DigitalGhost; May 22nd 2019 at 5:10 pm.
Old May 22nd 2019, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As DG has asked, when you say your son lives there, what is his status? He's not old enough to sponsor you yet, but it's a possibility for the future at least, depending on what visa/status he's living there under.

If Ontario is the only province you'll look at (understandably), then it sounds like one of you will need a job offer to be in with a shot in the short term.
Old May 22nd 2019, 6:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

…. If Ontario is the only province you'll look at (understandably), then it sounds like one of you will need a job offer to be in with a shot in the short term.
Are there programs in other provinces that would be easier for the OP in the short term, to get her into the country, with a view to relocating to Ontario later?
Old May 27th 2019, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are there programs in other provinces that would be easier for the OP in the short term, to get her into the country, with a view to relocating to Ontario later?
Yes, Manitoba has a very generous PNP program, as does BC if you're willing to live in the North-East development region.
Old May 27th 2019, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Yes, Manitoba has a very generous PNP program, as does BC if you're willing to live in the North-East development region.
Don't want to thread-jack, but whats the generous PNP program for BC? are we simply talking the regional pilot, or is there something else I am unaware of (I'm someone trying to get in via FST but fully aware I'm borderline to getting in so looking at any and all back up plans).
Old May 28th 2019, 1:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I thought I had heard that the Maritimes had some additional programs supporting inward migration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.