6 month visa - then what?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

kirsty5501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 month visa - then what?

Hi there, I'm new here and just dipping my toe in to the world of emigrating.

I'm 26 and have family in Ontario and would like to move there. With my (lack of) qualifications and skilled work experience, I don't think I'd qualify for any permanent visas, and according to the little online quiz I took I don't qualify for the family visa either.

I need to make this change so I think I might end up having to go for the temporary residency option. My question is: is it possible to extend/change this visa once in Canada? Is one able to look for work or look into setting up a small business during these 6 months?

I'm sorry if this is a silly question or if I'm mistaken in any way, this visa stuff is making my head spin!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 month visa - then what?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Not sure what 'temporary resident' option you are thinking of to be honest?

There is a six month visa available for UK citizens, but it's only a visitor visa and doesn't give you any residency at all - you can't work on it or anything like that. Plus do note that it's up to six months, you may be given less on entry so don't count on getting the full six months.

Why not just do a Working Holiday Visa? At least that would give you a year and you could work during it. Then you could try and get somebody to sponsor you for a more permanent visa once you are there.

Good luck.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your reply! Sorry, I saw it described elsewhere as a 6 month temporary residency visa.

I think I need to speak to someone about my options. The more I read the more confused I get.

Edited to add: I missed your suggestion for the working holiday visa, that sounds great, thank you! I hadn't seen anything about that. Do you know if family members can sponsor? I have my grandmother & three blood-related uncles, plus a host of cousins, second cousins, married relatives etc.

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited by kirsty5501; Jul 8th 2011 at 2:59 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's only a visitor visa I'm afraid.

Seems to me that your best bet by a mile is a WHV, as I said it would give you a year's open work permit. But without knowing everything about you i.e. your job, family, education, etc, it's difficult for us to advise you on your best visa route.

Most immigration consultants will do a free visa assessment to give you an idea of your options, so maybe do a quick search on here for who has been recommended recently and give that a go?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by kirsty5501
Do you know if family members can sponsor? I have my grandmother & three blood-related uncles, plus a host of cousins, second cousins, married relatives etc.
Unfortunately, a grandmother or uncle isn't close enough family to sponsor you under the Federal program.

But are they all in Ontario? Just that there are some provinces where they could sponsor you under the Provincial Nominee Program, but Ontario isn't one of them.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much! You've been an enormous help. I know I wouldn't be able to get specific advice about visa routes. I really don't think I'm eligible for any of them as it stands anyway, but I will look for a free consultation, that's what I meant when unsaid I need to speak to someone, I had seen that offered on one of the many sites I've been trawling through.

The family are all in Ontario, yes.

The WHV definitely sounds right for me, how exciting. Got a trip planned for September to stay with my Grandmother, I'm trying decide whether to wait til then to have the "I'm going to come live with you for a year, that's OK right? Oh and my dog will be coming too." good job she lives on a big farm!

Last edited by kirsty5501; Jul 8th 2011 at 3:34 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kirsty,

You don't need to see a consultant at this stage. If you are under 31 you can apply for an International Experience Canada Visa. It's valid for 12 months and you can apply for an extra year. You would be able to work with this visa and perhaps later be able to find an employer willing to sponsor you.

You can read many threads here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...00551&page=111 from people who are doing this.

I am presuming you are from the UK, if so then you can register to get the application here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I really don't think I'm eligible for any of them as it stands anyway
You may be surprised - with over 50 routes to a visa, I'd be surprised if you didn't qualify for anything at all. But hopefully a consultant will be able to advise on your best route, and if you decide to do a WHV then you'll at least have a 'Plan B' and an idea of how you can get Permanent Residency.

The WHV definitely sounds right for me, how exciting. Got a trip planned for September to stay with my Grandmother, I'm trying decide whether to wait til then to have the "I'm going to come live with you for a year, that's OK right? Oh and my dog will be coming too." good job she lives on a big farm!
LOL! Just don't wait until then to apply for the visa, there are only 5000 available each year so they could run out at any time. If you know that's what you want to do, apply now and then you've got it (you don't have to use it straight away, think you've got a year before you have to activate it). So maybe you could just go in Sept and not come back!

Good luck.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Seriously - thank you so much. What a help!

I'm going to get the ball rolling straight away, I'd be wanting to go next year, April/May would be my ideal, will have to wait and see how it pans out.

I'm going to read some of that monster thread now.