6 Month Stay

Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 Month Stay

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I have been to Canada many times, from Goose Bay as a kid to all over the Rockies and Vancouver Island as an adult. I have always planned to move to Canada for the wilderness, the vast expanses and the life experience.

For various reasons, I have thus far failed to execute the move, and I am unable to make a permanent move just yet.

I have an internet business, which doesn't make me rich, but keeps my head above water, just. In addition, I am starting the final push for my Masters Degree at University. All I have to to to complete the study is my dissertation. University is set up nowadays so that all of the academic material required is available through the university portal.

My best friend live on Vancouver Island, in a large house, and has invited me to stay.

I have looked online, and the maximum tourist visa appears to be 6 months.

This would suit me perfectly, and my plan would be for me to complete my dissertation at my leisure whilst enjoying an extended holiday in Canada.

Upon completion of 6months, I would return to the UK, as I am in real terms at least 18 months away from having everything in place to move permanently.

I have a number of queries which I would be grateful if someone could advise me.

I want to take my two year old Labrador. He goes everywhere with me. I am looking at approximately £1400 each way for this. If I can't take my pooch, I cannot go as I am a big softy and he means the world to me.

Would there be an issue with me using UK Resources from my UK University whilst completing my dissertation, which is an academic piece of work, not commercial.

My online business is based in the UK and will continue to trade in the UK. I am a sole trader, with no employees. I do minimal work for the site, but would need to keep my site active, just to keep some income coming in. Would this be an issue? (The reason I set up the business was that so, in principle, I could sit on a beach any where in the world and work).

I would be living free of charge. Would I need some kind of confirmation that this is the case?

I want to be 100% honest with Canadian Customs Officials, as I want to return to live in Canada permanently in approximately 2 years.

I am not sure if my situation is unique, or quite common. I want to communicate the fact that I will be self sufficient, and that my reasons for travel are genuine and that I am not attempting to 'sneak in' to the country.

Would I need to complete any kind of visa request form for the 6 month stay?

My tickets would be 'one way' because I would not know the exact date of return (I might come back after a month if I don't like it), but for animals, you can only buy a one way ticket, so that would be two 'one way tickets', as opposed to one return ticket.

I could only buy my return ticket to the UK after I had purchased the ticket for my dog to return, and I would for obvious reasons, prefer to be on the same flight as my dog for both journeys.

I would be very grateful for any advice regarding my situation.

Many thanks for reading.

Paul
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Month Stay

If you are a citizen of the UK you dont need a visa to enter. The 6 month rule is at the discretion of the officer without requiring written authorization from CIC/CBSA.
Your situation has a potential for raising a number of red flags.
At the end of the day you must satisfy an examining officer that you will not work or study and will leave Canada.
Your internet work I would not consider as working for a Canadian entity.
You must satisfy the officer that you have sufficient funds to look after yourself while you are here. Yes a letter from your friend outlining your stay may help though no guarantee. Dog will need to have valid rabies certificate.
The final decision though will be made by the examining officer as to how much time they will let you stay.
Just be prepared for an interview and to answer a bunch of questions. Try and get some documentation that shows you have ties to the UK such as property titles etc etc.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute

I am very grateful for your reply.

I appreciate what you say about raising 'red flags', as my plan is not really a regular plan, and from an official point of view would need further investigation.

I would be more than happy to sit in with an immigration officer or customs officer to answer any detailed questions, as it would make me feel better/relieved that my situation was known.

I would have the pet passport from my vet, and all required jabs, and I would be on the same flight as my dog.

I asked the question because of, for example, the one way tickets which until the situation was explained, would raise an eyebrow or two.

Sadly, apart from my family, job and my University Course (I will have to return to present the dissertation and answer questions/make alterations) but I don't have a house as I currently rent.

With the costs of getting myself and my dog over to Canada, it would need to bee for 5 or 6 months to make it worthwhile. If it is less, the cost to time ration would simply not be worth it.

Does anyone know of a procedure with Canadian Customs Officials where I can present my case in advance? Or am I simply worrying too much?

Whilst in Canada, I will have a couple of road trips, explore the area further, write my dissertation and generally soak up the lifestyle/info as much as possible which would help me make a decision as to whether I move permanently in the next year or two.

I am just aware that the situation is not the norm, and wanted to pre-empt any issues I may be met with before hand.

Once again, many thanks for your reply.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:49 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

there are loads of threads on this , so do a search but the one problem you may have is trying to board a flight with a one way ticket. Many airlines won't let you on with one and no visa.

you may not get as far as Canada
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolob99
I am very grateful for your reply.

I appreciate what you say about raising 'red flags', as my plan is not really a regular plan, and from an official point of view would need further investigation.

I would be more than happy to sit in with an immigration officer or customs officer to answer any detailed questions, as it would make me feel better/relieved that my situation was known.

I would have the pet passport from my vet, and all required jabs, and I would be on the same flight as my dog.

I asked the question because of, for example, the one way tickets which until the situation was explained, would raise an eyebrow or two.

Sadly, apart from my family, job and my University Course (I will have to return to present the dissertation and answer questions/make alterations) but I don't have a house as I currently rent.

With the costs of getting myself and my dog over to Canada, it would need to bee for 5 or 6 months to make it worthwhile. If it is less, the cost to time ration would simply not be worth it.

Does anyone know of a procedure with Canadian Customs Officials where I can present my case in advance? Or am I simply worrying too much?

Whilst in Canada, I will have a couple of road trips, explore the area further, write my dissertation and generally soak up the lifestyle/info as much as possible which would help me make a decision as to whether I move permanently in the next year or two.

I am just aware that the situation is not the norm, and wanted to pre-empt any issues I may be met with before hand.

Once again, many thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately you wont be able to get a decision made prior to arriving.
Yes yours is a more unique situation than others. Another way of looking at it pretend you are an examining officer and think what you would want to see or hear to make a decision on how long you would give a person in that situation?
Can it be done yes it can but unfortunately you wont be given a straight yes or no answer as it will be down to the examining officer and how you can convince him/her.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:09 pm
PR living in Vancouver

jobop will become famous soon enoughjobop will become famous soon enough

I say buy a return ticket, it's cheaper than a one way ticket, also most airlines also let you change the date of your return as long as its within a 12 month period, I have never done this and think there is a small charge for changing the return dates if needed.

Speak to the airline you intend to travel with I am sure it's possible then you can arrange the return flight to be the same as your dogs