Wikiposts

22year old staying in UK for Uni

Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice
Default 22year old staying in UK for Uni

Hi there peeps,

Question

As l have not looked at the necessary forms to apply to Canada, (awaiting assessment) would some one be so kind as to let me know what the situation is with my daughter...up until this coming week she's lived at home. Shes off to Bournemouth Uni and will be there for hopefully the 4 years. She has asked what is the best route for her to go if she wants to come to Canada to work once Uni is complete.
Thank you in advance
xxElainexx
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 22year old staying in UK for Uni

Originally Posted by xxElainexx
Hi there peeps,

Question

As l have not looked at the necessary forms to apply to Canada, (awaiting assessment) would some one be so kind as to let me know what the situation is with my daughter...up until this coming week she's lived at home. Shes off to Bournemouth Uni and will be there for hopefully the 4 years. She has asked what is the best route for her to go if she wants to come to Canada to work once Uni is complete.
Thank you in advance
xxElainexx
If you apply before she turns 22, then she's considered a dependent and would be able to come with you and get PR too. She'd have to keep up her PR status (2 years out of every 5) the same as anybody else, but could get the visa at least.

After 22, it's very different and she'd have to qualify for a visa in her own right, the same as anybody else. You couldn't sponsor her, so she'd have to meet the same criteria as anybody else i.e. Skilled Worker visa, find a job, or similar.

Could you put her on your application, and then she do uni in Canada instead maybe?

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Elaine

Its a few years since I went through this situation and others will correct me if things have changed.
Did your daughter remain in full time education since school?

Its important because if she was in full time education "since before turning 22" she may be able to be included in your application.

Its ok to have taken a break from full time education after school so long as she was in full time education before turning 22 and remains in full time education until processing is complete.

We had a similar situation when we applied, but our son was 21 and was in full time work. He went to uni so he could get in on our visa.

I think you also have to be able to prove that they are largley dependent on you finacially. It was easy for us because our son lived at home and so we were supporting him.
We were living in Bournemouth and so thats where he went.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

We also put my step son with my husband, he too will be in uni for at least 3-4 yrs, I feel we wasted money putting him on app. as he will not be able to fulfill the residency requirements. Hundreds of people trying to get into Canada and my step son has a wide open door and won't go thru it, very annoying.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you apply before she turns 22, then she's considered a dependent and would be able to come with you and get PR too. She'd have to keep up her PR status (2 years out of every 5) the same as anybody else, but could get the visa at least.

After 22, it's very different and she'd have to qualify for a visa in her own right, the same as anybody else. You couldn't sponsor her, so she'd have to meet the same criteria as anybody else i.e. Skilled Worker visa, find a job, or similar.

Could you put her on your application, and then she do uni in Canada instead maybe?

Hope that helps.

Hi thank you for the information, we had already discussed what you've suggested and because we are unsure of our own situation with regards to being able to get into Canada... Daughter's decision to go to Uni has been based upon it being a very good Uni for her chosen courses..Forensic Sciences, and Anthropology...Hubby is working on putting together his CV and a covering letter to Paul Wildy as and when time allows, as he rightfully says we need to get it all right for Paul to be able to give us the answers to go ahead and apply.

We are very much hoping that we can go and daughter wanted to know plan of action when we get the go ahead.

xxElainexx
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Hi Elaine

Its a few years since I went through this situation and others will correct me if things have changed.
Did your daughter remain in full time education since school?

Its important because if she was in full time education "since before turning 22" she may be able to be included in your application.

Its ok to have taken a break from full time education after school so long as she was in full time education before turning 22 and remains in full time education until processing is complete.

We had a similar situation when we applied, but our son was 21 and was in full time work. He went to uni so he could get in on our visa.

I think you also have to be able to prove that they are largley dependent on you finacially. It was easy for us because our son lived at home and so we were supporting him.
We were living in Bournemouth and so thats where he went.

Hi,
Thank you for your comments, have them noted...She has been in fulltime education yes. No break...she studied to work with children got her NVQ levels in that only to find believe it or not, not challenging enough....so a career change. For the past 2 years she has really worked hard to be able to get on the course mentioned in above reply, she got the grades required and above the points needed, so overall she's very pleased. We shall be looking into what you have pointed out to us thank you.

xxElainexx

We also put my step son with my husband, he too will be in uni for at least 3-4 yrs, I feel we wasted money putting him on app. as he will not be able to fulfill the residency requirements. Hundreds of people trying to get into Canada and my step son has a wide open door and won't go thru it, very annoying.
Thank you to for your comments, l hope that your step son re thinks what you're trying to do for him...l too would feel very dis-gruntled about the situation as one of the reasons for us going to Canada is to give all our children opportunity to do the same.

xxElainexx
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:55 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Well - school is not full year and hols can be spent in Canada easing the situation for PR retention. I suggest that she be included in the application and land when the visas are issued. She could also check into transferring to a Canadian Uni at some point.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Well - school is not full year and hols can be spent in Canada easing the situation for PR retention. I suggest that she be included in the application and land when the visas are issued. She could also check into transferring to a Canadian Uni at some point.
Thank you Jim for your help, shall discussing all these points with hubby over next few days....

kind regards
xxElainexx
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

This is very similar to my own thread (kids are alright)
Except people answered yours better!(only kidding guys)
Very similar situation although my daughter has been buried in the garden for past 48hrs!
How I now plan to work it (obviously this is very much dependent on my daughters opinion as well) she has 2 years in full time college still to do and a possible 3rd year which she is currently not needing but will give her full quals for her occupation. She will take her holidays in Canada with us! Then she will either look at complimenting her quals by going to college in Canada or by taking up employment in Canada! Done deal she will have 2 in 5 years, but this has changed 18 times in the past 5 minutes and now she has to phone 800 mates to confirm each of the 18 changes! Teenagers! Grrrrrrrr!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
This is very similar to my own thread (kids are alright)
Except people answered yours better!(only kidding guys)
Very similar situation although my daughter has been buried in the garden for past 48hrs!
How I now plan to work it (obviously this is very much dependent on my daughters opinion as well) she has 2 years in full time college still to do and a possible 3rd year which she is currently not needing but will give her full quals for her occupation. She will take her holidays in Canada with us! Then she will either look at complimenting her quals by going to college in Canada or by taking up employment in Canada! Done deal she will have 2 in 5 years, but this has changed 18 times in the past 5 minutes and now she has to phone 800 mates to confirm each of the 18 changes! Teenagers! Grrrrrrrr!
Hiya,

Sorry if l hijacked your thread, it was reading yours that prompted me to post the new thread... Hope all goes well with your daughter bless her...hope she like the new lawnmower haircut
Thanks for your imput too
xxElainexx