Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

21 weeks study permit processing time!

21 weeks study permit processing time!

Old Feb 24th 2019, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Teal2019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 21 weeks study permit processing time!

Hi all,

I am in a state of freaking out. Due to commence study mid August 2019. Cannot submit study permit application until mid March due to funds from house sale required for proof of funds. Current processing time states 21 weeks!

I have checked the processing times quite regularly throughout the last year and have seen an average of around 8 weeks. It seems to have jumped up massively for the London office processing times. At this point, before I pay the money to hold my seat, I'm wondering if there is any point at all in submitting my application for a permit. As it likely won't be issued in time for classes to start. Then we are in a position of losing thousands.

Looking for some constructive advice, really don't know what to do now.

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 21 weeks study permit processing time!

Originally Posted by Teal2019
Hi all,

I am in a state of freaking out. Due to commence study mid August 2019. Cannot submit study permit application until mid March due to funds from house sale required for proof of funds. Current processing time states 21 weeks!

I have checked the processing times quite regularly throughout the last year and have seen an average of around 8 weeks. It seems to have jumped up massively for the London office processing times. At this point, before I pay the money to hold my seat, I'm wondering if there is any point at all in submitting my application for a permit. As it likely won't be issued in time for classes to start. Then we are in a position of losing thousands.

Looking for some constructive advice, really don't know what to do now.

Thank you in advance.
Not really sure what anybody can advise you to do tbh. If processing times remain as currently stated (remember they tend to be longer this time of year, as everybody applies for the start of the academic year) then it's a risk you'll have to take unfortunately. Would you be allowed to start a little later if you don't get the study permit in time? Might be worth asking the university.

One other quick comment - you mention selling your house but do you have another residence in the UK (or wherever your home country is)? Remember that to get a study permit you have to show ties to your home country and proof that you will return at the end of your studies, if the house you are selling is your only property, that's a huge red flag. Plus ever so risky given it's only a temp visa!
Old Feb 24th 2019, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not really sure what anybody can advise you to do tbh. If processing times remain as currently stated (remember they tend to be longer this time of year, as everybody applies for the start of the academic year) then it's a risk you'll have to take unfortunately. Would you be allowed to start a little later if you don't get the study permit in time? Might be worth asking the university.

One other quick comment - you mention selling your house but do you have another residence in the UK (or wherever your home country is)? Remember that to get a study permit you have to show ties to your home country and proof that you will return at the end of your studies, if the house you are selling is your only property, that's a huge red flag. Plus ever so risky given it's only a temp visa!
I will enquire with the college about starting later if that is allowed.

My husband and I planned to travel North America and don't come from a wealthy background with parents to help us out etc. So we bought a house that needed work. Have spent 18 months doing it up for sale and worked that around our jobs and we've now sold it and complete in March. The plan was always to use the money to travel, then we looked into study abroad options as I didn't want to have nothing to show for it. So studying a course that enables me to still work towards long term career goals while being able to experience living abroad became the plan. All of our family is here, we have no family in Canada at all, we do not have intentions of staying in Canada after I'm done studying. Not everyone can fund such a venture without selling their property. I don't know many people my age with two properties either. Not only that, but the majority of young people I know, rent. I'm not worried about that aspect of the visa process. I'm worried about how long it will take.

I appreciate your reply, however in the most respectful way, we know it's risky selling up for a temp visa but we come from nothing, have worked hard and want to travel. That's simply it.

I was hoping that someone who had maybe been through to process could shed some light on their experience of processing times and if theirs fell in line with averages. It's a risk we are willing to take but thought it wise to seek some advice too.

Last edited by Teal2019; Feb 24th 2019 at 4:46 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 12:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I will enquire with the college about starting later if that is allowed.

My husband and I planned to travel North America and don't come from a wealthy background with parents to help us out etc. So we bought a house that needed work. Have spent 18 months doing it up for sale and worked that around our jobs and we've now sold it and complete in March. The plan was always to use the money to travel, then we looked into study abroad options as I didn't want to have nothing to show for it. So studying a course that enables me to still work towards long term career goals while being able to experience living abroad became the plan. All of our family is here, we have no family in Canada at all, we do not have intentions of staying in Canada after I'm done studying. Not everyone can fund such a venture without selling their property. I don't know many people my age with two properties either. Not only that, but the majority of young people I know, rent. I'm not worried about that aspect of the visa process. I'm worried about how long it will take.

I appreciate your reply, however in the most respectful way, we know it's risky selling up for a temp visa but we come from nothing, have worked hard and want to travel. That's simply it.

I was hoping that someone who had maybe been through to process could shed some light on their experience of processing times and if theirs fell in line with averages. It's a risk we are willing to take but thought it wise to seek some advice too.
With respect, unfortunately the advice you have been given by christmasoompa (who is very knowledgeable and experienced in visa and immigration matters) is valid. Without ties to the UK you may not be granted a study permit at all, it's up to you to show proof that you have ties to the UK and without some kind of residence, job to go back to or whatever, you may struggle to show proof. Not just to the issuing officer but potentially also to the officer at the port of entry who must be satisfied with your intent to leave Canada at the end of your visit. Do also ensure that the college is on the approved list and that the course is relevant.

Whether it takes 8 or 21 weeks (or possibly longer) will be down to the processing officer, the number of applications received - not just study permits, the hundreds of other visas being processed at the London office (or where ever you have applied to). Nobody can really offer you any advice nor guarantees unfortunately. It's one of those things that you just have to be patient about.. perhaps having sold your property you could stay with friends or in a rental and reapply for the following semester if all else fails... these things do take some careful planning, it's never simple is it!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dy-permit.html
Good luck regardless

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 25th 2019 at 12:58 am.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With respect, unfortunately the advice you have been given by christmasoompa (who is very knowledgeable and experienced in visa and immigration matters) is valid. Without ties to the UK you may not be granted a study permit at all, it's up to you to show proof that you have ties to the UK and without some kind of residence, job to go back to or whatever, you may struggle to show proof. Not just to the issuing officer but potentially also to the officer at the port of entry who must be satisfied with your intent to leave Canada at the end of your visit. Do also ensure that the college is on the approved list and that the course is relevant.

Whether it takes 8 or 21 weeks (or possibly longer) will be down to the processing officer, the number of applications received - not just study permits, the hundreds of other visas being processed at the London office (or where ever you have applied to). Nobody can really offer you any advice nor guarantees unfortunately. It's one of those things that you just have to be patient about.. perhaps having sold your property you could stay with friends or in a rental and reapply for the following semester if all else fails... these things do take some careful planning, it's never simple is it!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dy-permit.html
Good luck regardless
Hi Siouxie,

​​​​​​The course is at a DLI and is on the list of eligible courses, should I want to apply for pgwp. But that isn't something we are planning at this stage.

We have rental accommodation here in the UK lined up, so if we have to stay on in that, that's OK. But this risk lies in putting the fee down for securing a seat and potentially not being able to go because the permit is taking such a long time.

The IRCC processing times specifically for study permits are excessively high in comparison to everywhere else in the world, at this moment. I wasn't looking for guarantees, I know that it is down to officers processing the forms, but I was hoping someone may be able to provide some reassurance. I wondered if perhaps some people on the forum had applications being processed currently or recently approved and could offer advice regarding timeliness specifically. What their experience was, did their timelines match the averages, applications advice etc. I have no idea if I apply online that my application will even be processed in London. These are the things I'm trying to gauge and put feelers out for. As said previously it is a big decision and a risk no matter what but the more information we get before 'putting money down' the better.

While I appreciated the concern, showing ties to the UK is something I'm taking very seriously and will factor into my application. However for those applying for study permits, I am sure the demographic is usually under 25 (not me, I wish) I suspect most won't own property or have jobs lined up to go back to, in this economy. I do have a job to come back to, so that's not what I'm worried about. That isn't what I was asking for advice for in my post as I feel that base is covered.

Old Feb 25th 2019, 7:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Siouxie,

​​​​​​The course is at a DLI and is on the list of eligible courses, should I want to apply for pgwp. But that isn't something we are planning at this stage.

We have rental accommodation here in the UK lined up, so if we have to stay on in that, that's OK. But this risk lies in putting the fee down for securing a seat and potentially not being able to go because the permit is taking such a long time.

The IRCC processing times specifically for study permits are excessively high in comparison to everywhere else in the world, at this moment. I wasn't looking for guarantees, I know that it is down to officers processing the forms, but I was hoping someone may be able to provide some reassurance. I wondered if perhaps some people on the forum had applications being processed currently or recently approved and could offer advice regarding timeliness specifically. What their experience was, did their timelines match the averages, applications advice etc. I have no idea if I apply online that my application will even be processed in London. These are the things I'm trying to gauge and put feelers out for. As said previously it is a big decision and a risk no matter what but the more information we get before 'putting money down' the better.

While I appreciated the concern, showing ties to the UK is something I'm taking very seriously and will factor into my application. However for those applying for study permits, I am sure the demographic is usually under 25 (not me, I wish) I suspect most won't own property or have jobs lined up to go back to, in this economy. I do have a job to come back to, so that's not what I'm worried about. That isn't what I was asking for advice for in my post as I feel that base is covered.
Unfortunately, it's irrelevant how long other countries may take to process a student application - Canada is very popular (and a very big country) and there are always a lot of students applying... and during the peak application times processing takes much longer... just as everything does... nobody can give you any reassurance because processing times are like pieces of string... nobody knows how long it will take at any given time.. what may take 19 weeks today might take 28 weeks in a months time and 10 weeks a month after that! That's why it's important to have everything set up and apply as early as you can, whether for a study permit, a visa, a work permit or permanent residency.

Regardless of whether it was what you were asking for advice on, unless you can show ties to the UK the length of time of processing is a mute point as you may not be approved anyway if you don't show those ties! That is what christmasoompa was trying to explain to you. Most foreign students under 25 still live with their parents - perhaps are going back to school when they return home - return flights booked - so have ties to their home country.

Nobody said you need to OWN property to show a tie.. you could have a rental agreement.. or you could be living with parents... those are ties. Having a job to return to - showing that you have a leave of absence for longer than the length of the course (which must be 8 months or more to get a PGWP) or a contract perhaps to start work on a set date in the future - or a college course booked - would be another tie. Things that show you have a reason to return to your home country is what they are looking for.

Do you have your offer letter (proof of acceptance) from the college already? Is there any way to submit your application any sooner to give you a little leeway? If the course is less than a year, could you start it at a later date, perhaps? May be worth asking the college... hang in there, things have a way of working out.. don't give up. Did you check if there's any other colleges with the same course that start at a different time of year perhaps?

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 25th 2019 at 7:41 am.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Unfortunately, it's irrelevant how long other countries may take to process a student application - Canada is very popular (and a very big country) and there are always a lot of students applying... and during the peak application times processing takes much longer... just as everything does... nobody can give you any reassurance because processing times are like pieces of string... nobody knows how long it will take at any given time.. what may take 19 weeks today might take 28 weeks in a months time and 10 weeks a month after that! That's why it's important to have everything set up and apply as early as you can, whether for a study permit, a visa, a work permit or permanent residency.

Regardless of whether it was what you were asking for advice on, unless you can show ties to the UK the length of time of processing is a mute point as you won't be approved anyway! That is what christmasoompa was trying to explain to you. Most foreign students under 25 still live with their parents - perhaps are going back to school when they return home - return flights booked - so have ties to their home country.

Nobody said you need to OWN property to show a tie.. you could have a rental agreement.. or you could be living with parents... those are ties. Having a job to return to - showing that you have a leave of absence for longer than the length of the course (which must be 8 months or more to get a PGWP) or a contract perhaps to start work on a set date in the future - or a college course booked - would be another tie. Things that show you have a reason to return to your home country is what they are looking for.

Do you have your offer letter (proof of acceptance) from the college already? Is there any way to submit your application any sooner to give you a little leeway? If the course is less than a year, could you start it at a later date, perhaps? May be worth asking the college... hang in there, things have a way of working out.. don't give up. Did you check if there's any other colleges with the same course that start at a different time of year perhaps?
Thanks for the reply and advice.

I have followed christmasoopma's advice and sent an email off to enquire about starting late and deferring entry, should I need to. So fingers crossed there is some leeway there .

The course I will be doing is two years long, so not sure I can book a return flight at this point but we will be returning anyway for my sisters wedding in summer 2021. It times it nicely for coming home.

Would you recommend submitting a statement of purpose with the visa application? Because I'm not sure how else they would know about ties to UK or plans etc without that. Or is that taken care of at POE? Although we are selling our property, all of our family is here, I can't have children and my niece and nephew I am extremely bonded with. I am the oldest of four girls and they depend on me quite a lot. Hence why we aren't planning a permanent move.

Also, it's too early to apply yet but the plan is to come back in 2021 and I am then applying for my specialism course at Nottingham University. We have a plan but anything can happen I suppose. Is this the type of thing I should write in a statement?
Old Feb 26th 2019, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​What their experience was, did their timelines match the averages, applications advice etc.
Its an average, by definition some will take less time and some will take more time.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

ahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond reputeahughes has a reputation beyond repute

I am considering changing from job hunting to gain TFW permit to a study permit initially then a TFW then hopefully PR. We have sold the 2 properties we owned as we eventually hope to gain PR but the proof of returning with the study and TFW permits is something that is worrying me so I am very pleased with these replies as they've helped me. Thanks!
Old Mar 17th 2019, 7:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahughes
I am considering changing from job hunting to gain TFW permit to a study permit initially then a TFW then hopefully PR. We have sold the 2 properties we owned as we eventually hope to gain PR but the proof of returning with the study and TFW permits is something that is worrying me so I am very pleased with these replies as they've helped me. Thanks!
Proving you’ll return home isn’t required for a TWP but is for a study permit. Two different permits with different requirements.

As a UK citizen (low risk) then it’ll be slightly less stringent than for somebody from a high fraud country, but even so the requirement is there.

I thought you had a job offer and sponsoring employer already? If so I’d definitely stick to the TWP route, that’s far preferable to a study permit for many reasons.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 17th 2019 at 7:31 am.
Old May 27th 2019, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

unstirling is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Sorry to bump the thread but curious how this has gone for you.

I have been in a similar situation, I applied for student visa first week of Feb and have had no updates. Was given 14 week processing time and am now at 15/16 weeks. Did you apply and have you had any progress?

Cheers
Old May 27th 2019, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by unstirling
Hi,

Sorry to bump the thread but curious how this has gone for you.

I have been in a similar situation, I applied for student visa first week of Feb and have had no updates. Was given 14 week processing time and am now at 15/16 weeks. Did you apply and have you had any progress?

Cheers
Hi.

We applied the first week of April. No updates yet. The processing time dropped to 2 weeks when we submitted and did biometrics. It's been 1 week ever since. I realise that's likely to be for straight forward cases with no accompanying family members etc.

We are at almost 8 weeks since we applied. we already submitted a case specific enquiry to see if there had been any updates but they provide no case specific updates, just a generic response.

We sent some extra documents in a few weeks back as we paid the full tuition and thought having the receipt added for that might help.

All we can do is wait. It's frustrating because they have sections online for application progress but they don't seem to update that so you never really know what stage you're at.

Old May 27th 2019, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

luketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond reputeluketarplin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Teal2019,

I completely empathise with your situation, we are in a similar position, not for a study visa but for a temp work visa, we are a family of 4 and have had our application in since the beginning of April this year. The processing time kept getting pushed back when I applied at first the wait time was 5 weeks, then 7 now 8 weeks, which would be the end of this week. I have no doubt that it won't get processed in the next few days since it doesn't appear to have been looked at for the past 7 weeks. At least I should be able to open a case specific enquiry, which would be something.

The waiting seems to be the hardest part as far as I can tell, we have been in limbo for the last few months, not knowing makes planning a head very difficult and not receiving adequate information about where you are in the process, who your application is with, even how many other applications in the pipeline would be useful info.

I hope you get your study visa through soon.
Old May 27th 2019, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by luketarplin
Hi Teal2019,

I completely empathise with your situation, we are in a similar position, not for a study visa but for a temp work visa, we are a family of 4 and have had our application in since the beginning of April this year. The processing time kept getting pushed back when I applied at first the wait time was 5 weeks, then 7 now 8 weeks, which would be the end of this week. I have no doubt that it won't get processed in the next few days since it doesn't appear to have been looked at for the past 7 weeks. At least I should be able to open a case specific enquiry, which would be something.

The waiting seems to be the hardest part as far as I can tell, we have been in limbo for the last few months, not knowing makes planning a head very difficult and not receiving adequate information about where you are in the process, who your application is with, even how many other applications in the pipeline would be useful info.

Sorry to hear you have been waiting such a long time too. I sent a case specific enquiry and they just advised that only 80% of the applications are processed within the specified timeframe. That's information we all already know, so not sure why they call it a 'case specific' enquiry as they don't seem to give you any information about your individual case. I hope you get a clear response from them.

The inability to plan is really frustrating. We do have flights and an airbnb booked, but that's purely because I just can't abide last minute planing and rushing. There may have been nowhere available and August is peak travel time.

I hope you hear something soon and your visa comes through.

Take care.
Old May 27th 2019, 10:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by luketarplin
Hi Teal2019,

Have you considered applying at the Port of Entry (i.e. at the Airport) when you arrive in Canada? It's much the easiest way... info in the link
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:...o_apply-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; May 27th 2019 at 10:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.