Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

2 year holiday visa for wife wile i work

2 year holiday visa for wife wile i work

Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 year holiday visa for wife wile i work

hello everone , thanks for all the information this great resourse has already provided to me to help me get my IEC 2 year WORKING HOLIDAY VISA for Canada and for helping me get all the information i needed on trucking in Canada . I am back again to ask for some more information ,this time it is for the wife .
As i plan to go on my working visa to Canada for 2 years my wife would like to come also . She missed out on the IEC working holiday visa that i have due to her bing a year to old to apply , how ever that is not a big deal as she plans to come to Canada with me , not work and stay in the truck with me as i plan to do long haul trucking . How ever she can only stay for 6 months at a time untill i apply for permant resedency in Manitoba ( if all goes well and we like it of course ) but i have heard of a 2 YEAR HOLIDAY VISA that you can apply for and she is considdering applying for it , a medical and backround check is needed , that is not a problem at all ( bar the price of medicals and hassel of filling out forms of course lol ) MY question is does anyone have any knowledge of these 2 year holiday visas or is it just as handy for her to take a trip home after 6 months to see her mum etc then return a few weeks later to Canada on another 6 month hoilday visa , do customes officers frown at you on arival for staying for the full 6 months or 5 1/2 months with no job but your husband in canada to support you . My long haul trucking should pay well but long hours .

Any information on the 2 year holiday visa would be greatly welcomed as would any other advice
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 year holiday visa for wife wile i work

Originally Posted by bigreduk
hello everone , thanks for all the information this great resourse has already provided to me to help me get my IEC 2 year WORKING HOLIDAY VISA for Canada and for helping me get all the information i needed on trucking in Canada . I am back again to ask for some more information ,this time it is for the wife .
As i plan to go on my working visa to Canada for 2 years my wife would like to come also . She missed out on the IEC working holiday visa that i have due to her bing a year to old to apply , how ever that is not a big deal as she plans to come to Canada with me , not work and stay in the truck with me as i plan to do long haul trucking . How ever she can only stay for 6 months at a time untill i apply for permant resedency in Manitoba ( if all goes well and we like it of course ) but i have heard of a 2 YEAR HOLIDAY VISA that you can apply for and she is considdering applying for it , a medical and backround check is needed , that is not a problem at all ( bar the price of medicals and hassel of filling out forms of course lol ) MY question is does anyone have any knowledge of these 2 year holiday visas or is it just as handy for her to take a trip home after 6 months to see her mum etc then return a few weeks later to Canada on another 6 month hoilday visa , do customes officers frown at you on arival for staying for the full 6 months or 5 1/2 months with no job but your husband in canada to support you . My long haul trucking should pay well but long hours .

Any information on the 2 year holiday visa would be greatly welcomed as would any other advice
The 2 year one you are probably thinking about is the parent/grandparent super visa which won't apply in your situation.
On arrival and activating your IEC 2 year work permit your wife can ask CBSA to be issued with a 2 year visitor record providing you can prove you are married or common law. She won't be able to wok and she will need to have medical insurance covering her for the 2 years. no medical exam required. She can also go home at any time and the visitor record remains valid until it expires.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute

thats great information and great news for us . Thanks you for the help . one question that might seem some what silly of me but i take it she would buy the 2 year medical insurance cover before going to Canada like the 2 year insurance and medical cover i will need and would get from a backpacker insurance brokers type website and it is not some thing you buy from the Canadian Government .

many thanks for all your information , wife says thanks also .
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

thats great information and great news for us . Thanks you for the help . one question that might seem some what silly of me but i take it she would buy the 2 year medical insurance cover before going to Canada like the 2 year insurance and medical cover i will need and would get from a backpacker insurance brokers type website and it is not some thing you buy from the Canadian Government .

Buy it before coming to Canada.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The 2 year one you are probably thinking about is the parent/grandparent super visa which won't apply in your situation.
On arrival and activating your IEC 2 year work permit your wife can ask CBSA to be issued with a 2 year visitor record providing you can prove you are married or common law. She won't be able to wok and she will need to have medical insurance covering her for the 2 years. no medical exam required. She can also go home at any time and the visitor record remains valid until it expires.
If the OP finds a job, would his spouse not qualify for provincial healthcare? I think that's the way it is in BC anyway.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

In case your wife is not covered by provincial healthcar, note that backpackers insurance will generally cover emergencies only and will not cover routine day-to-day costs. In Canada, these costs can be significant and worth bearing in mind (up to $100 per visit to a walk in clinic for example). Not sure if there is any insurance that would cover day to day costs. Maybe someone else can advise.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bc2015
If the OP finds a job, would his spouse not qualify for provincial healthcare? I think that's the way it is in BC anyway.
Thats something the OP needs to check out with BC MSP.
Other Individuals in B.C.

Certain other individuals, such as some holders of study and/or work permits, or working permits on working holiday programs — which are issued under the federal Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and are valid for a period of six or more months — may be deemed residents. Tourists or visitors to B.C. do not qualify.
Are you Eligible? - Province of British Columbia
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thats something the OP needs to check out with BC MSP.
Other Individuals in B.C.

Certain other individuals, such as some holders of study and/or work permits, or working permits on working holiday programs — which are issued under the federal Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and are valid for a period of six or more months — may be deemed residents. Tourists or visitors to B.C. do not qualify.
Are you Eligible? - Province of British Columbia
But then it also says

Dependents of MSP beneficiaries are also eligible for coverage if they are residents of B.C. Dependents include a spouse and children who are residents of B.C. using the conditions as set out above.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:44 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

But the OP is going to Manitoba?
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
But the OP is going to Manitoba?
Oh I didn't see that. Still the same benefit though

Are You Covered? | Manitoba Health, Healthy Living and Seniors | Province of Manitoba

Visitor Record

You are not eligible for coverage unless you are accompanying a spouse or parent who has a Work Permit valid for 12 months or more or a Study Permit valid for 6 months or more.