Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

183 days or more in a row outside of Canada in last 4 years

183 days or more in a row outside of Canada in last 4 years

Old May 31st 2021, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default 183 days or more in a row outside of Canada in last 4 years

Hi Everyone - thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

I'm filling out my online Citizenship application, and got to the question that reads:
"In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?"

I lived in the UK between November 16, 2016 and November 28, 2017, which is a total of 376 days.
However, only 181 of those days were within the past 4 years (between May 31, 2017 and November 28, 2017).

I initially put "No" as the answer, but now I'm second guessing myself. The physical presence calculator goes back 5 years, so it shows that I was in the UK for 376 days in total, but since only a portion of that absence was during the past 4 years, I'm not sure.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 183 days or more in a row outside of Canada in last 4 years

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Hi Everyone - thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

I'm filling out my online Citizenship application, and got to the question that reads:
"In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?"

I lived in the UK between November 16, 2016 and November 28, 2017, which is a total of 376 days.
However, only 181 of those days were within the past 4 years (between May 31, 2017 and November 28, 2017).

I initially put "No" as the answer, but now I'm second guessing myself. The physical presence calculator goes back 5 years, so it shows that I was in the UK for 376 days in total, but since only a portion of that absence was during the past 4 years, I'm not sure.
Did you move to Canada on 28 Nov 2017 from the UK?

This application is only asking for time spent since you became a PR and moved to Canada.

So in that case you would ignore the UK stint.

Is this for police record check?
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 183 days or more in a row outside of Canada in last 4 years

I moved over on July 2, 2016 and activated my PR. I stayed for about 4.5 months over the summer, and then went back to the UK for just over a year. I then moved back to Canada in November 2017, and have been here since. The stint in the UK was AFTER I became a PR, but only 180 days were within the past 4 years.