16 year old and citizenship

Old Aug 18th 2021, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute
Default 16 year old and citizenship

Hi all we are now PR approved and the next step will be Citizenship, myself and my husband would like to wait until we are 55 which will be in 4 and 5 years I understand that we will probably have to reapply for PR as that will be close to my PR needing renewing. My question is I have read that children can apply without their parents as my daughter is 16 she will not need to take the test if she applies next year before she is 17/18. We have been in Canada for over three years full time so would qualify for the days in Canada. Has anyone done this with their children? I would love for her to have her citizenship before she turns 18 to be able to have the security of dual citizenship.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 11:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 16 year old and citizenship

Just a note that you won't be applying for Permanent Residence if you are already permanent residents, you will be applying for PR card renewal. Your PR status doesn't expire, just the cards. (you don't have to renew them - but if you want to / need to leave the country or need them for ID it's better to. It's not a requirement to have a PR card unless you want to fly back to Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...w-replace.html

You can only count some of the time you are in Canada before you obtain PR status for Citizenship purposes.. so you may need to wait a tad longer. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...lity.html#time
Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person within the last 5 years counts as one half day when you calculate your physical presence. You can use a maximum of 365 days as a temporary resident or protected person toward your time spent in Canada.
As to your daughter - this may be of use. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ty/minors.html
Old Aug 19th 2021, 9:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
We have been in Canada for over three years full time so would qualify for the days in Canada.
Unfortunately not - as above, although time before PR does count towards citizenship, it can only be used for a maximum of one year. At least 2 of the 3 years must be as Permanent Residents - https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/...ew.do?&lang=en

Old Aug 25th 2021, 5:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calfemyn
Please keep us up to date with updates. My daughter also needs to do citizenship.
The posters daughter won't be able to submit an application for citizenship for another 2 years (when they will have the minimum 2 years as a PR, they can only claim 1 year maximum for temporary residency) - they only became PR's in July '21 .. so there won't be an update for a while

Do you have any questions about the process? If you do, feel free to start a new thread with more info, we'll help if we can.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 25th 2021 at 5:14 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Just a note that you won't be applying for Permanent Residence if you are already permanent residents, you will be applying for PR card renewal. Your PR status doesn't expire, just the cards. (you don't have to renew them - but if you want to / need to leave the country or need them for ID it's better to. It's not a requirement to have a PR card unless you want to fly back to Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...w-replace.html

You can only count some of the time you are in Canada before you obtain PR status for Citizenship purposes.. so you may need to wait a tad longer. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...lity.html#time

As to your daughter - this may be of use. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ty/minors.html

Thanks Siouxie as always you are a great help. We will wait it out and apply as soon as we qualify.