"Dual Citizenship"

Old Feb 4th 2001, 3:08 pm
Lyndi

Hi All

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living and working full time in the USA. The
longer I am in the US - the more I realize just how Canadian I am. I also realize that it
would be to my advantage to apply for American citizenship. My job will soon require that
I go to Washington, DC to lobby under the ADA. I think I would be taken more seriously if
I had American citizenship.

Moving my American husband to Canada is not an alternative at the present time. His
parents are quite elderly and will need him to be nearby for several more years. That is
the main reason I moved south instead of him moving north.

I am concerned with taking US citizenship for a couple of reasons. The first being, that
although I know (on paper anyway) that it won't effect my status as a Canadian, that it
may be more of a burden than a blessing. Border crossing, moving, job hunting, two
passports, etc.

My big concern is that the Oath one must take to get American citizenship says I must
renounce Canada. I can't imagine ever renouncing Canada (even when I get annoyed with
Alberta's and Quebec's separatists Although the INS says that the renouncing isn't taken
seriously anymore, I am very uncomfortable with the following statement:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all
allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or
which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the
Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and
domestic; etc"

I know in my heart, that if the relationship between Canada and the US were to get nasty,
I'd be packing up and heading north. My first allegiance will always be to Canada.

Have any of you been in a similar position? If so, how did/do you handle it? All replies
public or private would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lyndi