Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Wish me luck. Going to the Embassy to try and get an Emergency Travel Doc.

Wish me luck. Going to the Embassy to try and get an Emergency Travel Doc.

Old Mar 9th 2016, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wish me luck. Going to the Embassy to try and get an Emergency Travel Doc.

Well, it should be an adventure shouldn't it?

Lost the passport somewhere in the house, turned it upside down and just gone. Going to the UK tomorrow by car so if they let me have an Emergency Travel Document I can still make my Nuremburg stopover and the ferry in good time. If not I'm knackered really.

I was being so careful as well............

It had its very own place. Took it out as we had to show it to the next nursery for my daughter and I remember it being in my hand. I can only hope they will show me pity.

The thought of getting the replacement fills me with dread as for expats the horror stories of 10-12 weeks or so...... Fortunately after this trip if I can go, will be the last for a year or so.The UK passport office could issue me a replacement in that time frame shurely?

Now to fill in the forms......
Old Mar 9th 2016, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wish me luck. Going to the Embassy to try and get an Emergency Travel Doc.

Wish you all the best!

Btw the German border should be no problem - the German police just look at you ...
We went on Sunday and instead of waiting on the Autobahn for an hour or more decided to use a small road from Hallein to Bad Reichenhall. That detour cost us less time and my wife really enjoyed the scenery.

Up in the mountains at the border (or rather in Germany already) the police were waiting for us. They asked:
Do you have your passports with you?
And when I said yes and my wife wanted to open her handbag they said: Not necessary - have a good trip!
So it was faster that way.

Last time in March I came via Passau and also used a small road (with no checks at all!) instead of waiting on the Autobahn ...

But of course you'll have to show some paper at the ferry ...
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wish me luck. Going to the Embassy to try and get an Emergency Travel Doc.

I think I would struggle going off the Autobahn as I don't know Germany at all really! I'm going to try and make my booking for Nuremburg as I think I'll need to stop over night. It just depends if they are ok with me arriving around midnight. I hope if I get my paperwork to leave at the latest 2pm and with a couple of half hour stops and time for the borders that seems fair? If I get my papers I will phone them.

I am tired already so need it to be simple! The comlplicated part will be crossing into Austria from Hungary....... Hope my Hungarian plates won't prove a problem.

If the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to do the whole thing in one go. 19-20 hours including stops and borders......... Ouch!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolfi
Wish you all the best!

Btw the German border should be no problem - the German police just look at you ...
We went on Sunday and instead of waiting on the Autobahn for an hour or more decided to use a small road from Hallein to Bad Reichenhall. That detour cost us less time and my wife really enjoyed the scenery.

Up in the mountains at the border (or rather in Germany already) the police were waiting for us. They asked:
Do you have your passports with you?
And when I said yes and my wife wanted to open her handbag they said: Not necessary - have a good trip!
So it was faster that way.

Last time in March I came via Passau and also used a small road (with no checks at all!) instead of waiting on the Autobahn ...

But of course you'll have to show some paper at the ferry ...
There aren't Autobahn tolls yet are there? Can't find any info if they brought them in or not? Just talk that they were thinking about it.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Alcogod is an unknown quantity at this point

One piece of advice i can give for the return. My friend managed to sort his passport out within a week by going directly to the offices rather than waiting to send it off, wait for authentication and getting it sent to them. In your case that may be worthwhile before a return journey.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Alcogod is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry i should of said, this is a UK passport. It may take less time for a replacement.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was thinking about it but I would need to go through to Liverpool i think and the fastest I could have is the 1 week service as the passport was lost. If I get to the UK I will look into it then but I have to get through tomorrow first!

A bit too tired and stressed to think that far ahead really. Was supposed to pick up all the baby gear we have in storage among sorting a few other things out. Can't really afford to take the hit of losing the bookings and having to rebuy all that stuff. So tomorrow is a biggy!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Jetsam, no, there are no tolls in Germany (and probably won't be ...).
Going via passau the queues might be shorter than via Salzburg, so good luck.
Have a safe trip!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jetsam, no, there are no tolls in Germany (and probably won't be ...).
Going via passau the queues might be shorter than via Salzburg, so good luck.
Have a safe trip!
Thanks very much! Going by Passau and up the A3 so hopefully will be ok. I've done this return trip three times by car and never seen it all that busy so hopefully the queues won't be too bad! But that was before the new checks.

I have about a weeks worth of comedy on the ipod so that will definately help! And I will go no faster than 130Km/h!!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Then you will be one of the slowest from Passau to Deggendorf ...
After Deggendorf you might find some road works, but it shouldn't be too bad.
Have a safe trip!

PS:
Don't forget to fill up in Austria, gas (and gasoil) is much cheaper there - off the Autobahn of course. We paid less than1 € last Sunday, Diesel would have been around 90 Cents/liter.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Then you will be one of the slowest from Passau to Deggendorf ...
After Deggendorf you might find some road works, but it shouldn't be too bad.
Have a safe trip!

PS:
Don't forget to fill up in Austria, gas (and gasoil) is much cheaper there - off the Autobahn of course. We paid less than1 € last Sunday, Diesel would have been around 90 Cents/liter.
Last time was with a 184 bhp BMW turbo diesel and this time is a petrol Astra! I have read that 130 km/h is a suggested top speed by the German authorities! I found 90 mph or so ok? Quick enough to accelerae past the lorries while keeping a watch on the fuel. I will probably be near half tank by the Austrian border so if fuel is that sort pf price you have to!

If I get the docs I have an arrangement with the hotel so I can arrive as late as I need so I don;t have to push it.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Update in case it happens to anyone else.

I got my emergency passport today within an hour. I thought this was pretty good. The British Embassy in Budapest was fine, the security staff were friendly and efficient and the lady who dealt with me in the consulate was efficient and businesslike. For the first time I have ever had to use the service it was a good experience.

Now to eat, pack and run to the UK!
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh well. Got to the hotel misjudged the tiny garage they gave me and have scraped all along the edge of the car doors pretty badly.

It's not being a good year so far...........