Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Watchpost's first post

Watchpost's first post

Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Watchpost's first post

I've just come across this site/forum and it looks friendly and helpful, so I signed up. (I did though discover Rural Hungary's blog a couple of years ago – appreciated, RH.)

I'm originally from the UK but emigrated to Germany 20 years ago. Then almost ten years ago – amazing how time flies – I bought a house in the Őrség. Hence my name here, the site software wouldn't let me have "Őrségi" . The Őrség is a national park in the western corner of Hungary where the country borders Austria and Slovenia; my village is about an hour and forty minutes west of Keszthély.

No plans at present to move to Hungary permanently so it's just visits two or three times a year, but I've definitely been bitten by the Hungary bug and look forward to meeting others similarly afflicted!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:10 am
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice
Default Re: Watchpost's first post

Originally Posted by Watchpost
The Őrség is a national park in the western corner of Hungary where the country borders Austria and Slovenia;
Hi watchpost we didn't get chance to visit the park when we were over although really wanted to. if you have any info on the park, would love to hear more about it
and you are right, you will find great people and loads of useful information on this forum
Old Dec 9th 2011, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi SteveNLisa,

There's surprisingly little information on the Internet about the Őrség.

It has its own website, with English version:

onp.nemzetipark.gov.hu/index.php?lang=en

The server was down when I looked just now, kind of sums it up...

There isn't much other information, especially in English. There isn't even an English Wikipedia page. Slightly more info in German.

There's a site here of an Anglo-Hungarian couple who run an estate agency/renovation business there (with the emphasis on renovation):

www.keeling.hu

Click on "Locate Us" to get some of the flavour.

The Őrség isn't a spectacularly scenic place that tourists throng to. It's pretty, but in a low-key, unspoilt way. Tourists wizz past on the E66 ("Route 66" as I call it) and the E65 (which I think of as the Amber Road, though I'm not sure whether that's historically accurate; in any case, it seems there were several of them). Some foreigners have bought places here but I don't think that many actually live here; you'd have to be a hermit or want an alternative lifestyle.

If I you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them, but otherwise I'd better stop before I write a book.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 3:23 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Watchpost and welcome to the forum. apologies for the delay in welcoming you but I was gaining first hand experience of the local hospital - the things I do for this forum

Glad you found your way here and thanks for the comments about the blog, it's nice to get feedback and know that people are actually reading it.

The majority of users here are a friendly and helpful bunch so feel free to join in. Lovely part of Hungary you are in and I believe one of the forum users might have a home near you - will try and find their user name for you.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 1:58 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Many thanks for the links, They did work and give a great flavour to the park and surrounding areas I can see how you come about your username now It looks absolutely gorgeous, will defo be on top of the list of places to visit.
The mushroom info made me laugh, my granddad always used to come back with mushrooms after going out for his morning paper when on holiday when i was a kid, declaring they were fine to eat (this was in the UK!) maybe why i am not so keen on mushrooms as an adult lol, he would have loved the park.
Sure we could spend an infinate amount of time in that area without ever getting bored, can't wait