Voting particularly in the EU referendum

Voting particularly in the EU referendum

Old Feb 29th 2016, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Voting particularly in the EU referendum

Any one who is interested, and we should all be, should check out the website

Home - About my vote

This explains how you get registered for postal voting as long as you have not been out of the UK for more than 15 years.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voting particularly in the EU referendum

I'm curious .... and yes, it is none of my business really but I expect all of you will be voting to stay in the EU! Although I don't live in Hungary and long term aim is to move over when I finally take retirement, either official working retirement age or early retirement, you can guess which way my vote will go. If UK opts out with my wife being Hungarian I should have too many problems becoming a permanent resident.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
If UK opts out with my wife being Hungarian I should have too many problems becoming a permanent resident.
It should not be an issue with a Hungarian wife. I had no problems moving here before Hungary joined the EU. Being married to a Hungarian made permission more or less automatic and that was just after the regime change so things were a lot more bureaucratic. We did all the paperwork at the Hungarian embassy in London first.

Yes you can guess which way I would vote - except that because I have been living in Europe for 20 years (= more than 15 years) I am not entitled to a vote
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
It should not be an issue with a Hungarian wife. I had no problems moving here before Hungary joined the EU. Being married to a Hungarian made permission more or less automatic and that was just after the regime change so things were a lot more bureaucratic. We did all the paperwork at the Hungarian embassy in London first.

Yes you can guess which way I would vote - except that because I have been living in Europe for 20 years (= more than 15 years) I am not entitled to a vote
Oops .... meant to say '... sould NOT have ...'
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:55 am
Just Joined

ursus3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Everybody - go to www.gov.uk/registertovote.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Sent my papers back 2 months ago. Just waiting for confirmation from my old council. Very easy to do.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Steve_Turin is an unknown quantity at this point

It is important to ensure you are registered to vote for the Brexit referendum. Expats in the EU have very little to gain from an exit and a lot at risk . This is the website to register to vote: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Cheers
Old Apr 7th 2016, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Alcogod is an unknown quantity at this point

I am torn between this vote as i am still living in the UK and want to vote out of the EU but it will probably make it more difficult when i can finally move over to Hungary.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alcogod
I am torn between this vote as i am still living in the UK and want to vote out of the EU but it will probably make it more difficult when i can finally move over to Hungary.
If you would consider voting FOR Brexit consider what the implications for the approximately 1.26 million UK citizens who already have made the choice to live in the EU. OK so you have about 2 million EU nationals working in the UK. The Brexit camp as far as I can see have migration and its control as one of its main issues. So vote for Brexit and swap the 1.26 million Brits for the 2 million EU workers - its not going to happen. And any way as far as I can see the majority of EU workers do jobs that the Brits don't want. (e.g. my family in the UK need a carer for my mother, advertised in the UK - no takers - so we hired an EU worker. And she pays taxes and NI !!)
Old Apr 8th 2016, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Steve_Turin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alcogod
Also, I would think future expats would be more at risk than current expats (same for Europeans already in UK, vs. new immigrants) as it is much easier to remove future rights/frameworks than existing arrangements.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_Turin
Also, I would think future expats would be more at risk than current expats (same for Europeans already in UK, vs. new immigrants) as it is much easier to remove future rights/frameworks than existing arrangements.
I would have thought that all will be treated the same. If the law / rules change then they change. I can see a period of grace where workers can apply for work permits, resident pensioners can apply for residence the same as any non-EU person, there would probably be a fairly short period of time to sort out NHS cover as reciprocal EU arrangements would cease. Any one rejected by the host country would have to leave or be an illegal immigrant. Those who left because their pensions go further abroad, if any of them have to return then UK social services would have to pick up the bill until foreign property is sold etc. It is potentially a horrible bag of worms.

By the way 0.8% of the Spanish population are Brits as are 5.5% of the Irish population, with Malta having 2.6% Brits. (source International Business Times) I believe the social impact of Brexit in both directions has so far been (intentionally) ignored
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Bad news for those of you Brits who have been away for 15 years:
British expats lose legal battle for right to vote in EU referendum | Politics | The Guardian
Old May 18th 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

So mixed bag of those in favor and against Ok just one question if Uk is out of European Union first does that mean we shall have to apply for Visa to enter E.U Country's and moor so if here when to exit the E.U can we clam to be here as Asylum Seekers ❓ digger47
Old May 18th 2016, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by digger47
So mixed bag of those in favor and against Ok just one question if Uk is out of European Union first does that mean we shall have to apply for Visa to enter E.U Country's and moor so if here when to exit the E.U can we clam to be here as Asylum Seekers ❓ digger47
You almost certainly won't need visas, even as a child before the EU was invented there was no need for a visa travelling from the UK to mainland Europe. Visa are only used / required when the home country wants some control over who they let in form a particular country.

Under the international rules you can only claim asylum if you are in danger. The odds on successfully claiming you are in danger in the UK are a bit slim.
Old May 18th 2016, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

But you might need a visa if you want to stay longer than say three months - just as we Europeans need one for the USA (ESTA i e Visa Waiver means you can stay 90 days) and vice versa ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.