Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Vehicle nightmare

Vehicle nightmare

Old Jan 27th 2024, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vehicle nightmare

I've bought and sold several vehicles in Hungary over the years but never had an experience like my latest acquisition.
I've been looking for another car for some time now and was set on a petrol 1.6 Renault Scenic or Citroen Picasso. I didn't want to pay too much as I feel that used cars are way over-priced here and they're all a gamble. I am aware of certain electrical issues with these, along with engine problems on some models. Looked at a few but didn't find anything.
Then, I decided on a 2.0 diesel Mazda Premacy/MPV/5. Found what appeared to be an 'ok' one 3 hours away in Siófok with a brand new mūszaki. Went down, haggled due to certain issues and drove it home.
Next day I got the eredeti vizsga, following day went to kormányablak and was told that I couldn't register it as the business that I bought it from was suspended. Spoke to the guy I bought it from and he wasn't prepared to refund my money so went to police ....who weren't interested. To cut an even longer story short, I ended up going back to Siófok and getting new paperwork and the car is now in my name. Now looking at getting the timing belt belt done and the parts alone can cost up to 200,000ft. It's been an incredibly stressful and expensive week.
There are lessons that I've learned from this experience
And now I'm on with the registering the newly imported German motorbike that I bought last October.....
Old Jan 27th 2024, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle nightmare

I can't offer any advice but I do have sympathy. I moved from UK to Hungary in 2011 and I bought an LDV Convoy van to move all my stuff. I had wanted a Mercedes Sprinter van as I knew these were popular in Hungary so there would be spares available. I looked at several Sprinters but they were all very rough and rusty. After moving the plan was to register the van in Hungary and use it to fetch materials for the house renovation and as a makeshift camper for a bit of exploring. I wanted to find a mechanic who would check out the van, make sure it meets Hungarian rules, get the inspections done and the paperwork. They do this all the time with vehicles imported from Germany and other countries but the stumbling block was finding anyone willing to drive a right hand drive! Eventually I found a British guy who runs a repair garage in Hungary. He was about 2 hours drive from me, near the border with Austria. On my first attempt to take the van to him it broke down soon after setting off. I got it going but returned home to check it over properly. Next time the van was running OK and a mate was following in my car. I got about half way there and my left hand door mirror was clipped by the mirror of an oncoming lorry, which carried on without stopping. This broke not only the mirror but also the passenger door glass. I phoned the mechanic to ask if it was worth us still coming but he said no. I did get a secondhand door glass shipped from UK but by then the mechanic had lost interest. My mate who had been following me said I had been driving too close to the middle of the road the whole time! I suppose I had got used to my left hand drive car and failed to adjust properly when going back to the right hand drive van. I now live in Croatia and still have the van, still on GB plates.
Old Jan 27th 2024, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Next day I got the eredeti vizsga, following day went to kormányablak and was told that I couldn't register it as the business that I bought it from was suspended. Spoke to the guy I bought it from and he wasn't prepared to refund my money so went to police ....who weren't interested. To cut an even longer story short, I ended up going back to Siófok and getting new paperwork and the car is now in my name.

Now looking at getting the timing belt belt done and the parts alone can cost up to 200,000ft.

And now I'm on with the registering the newly imported German motorbike that I bought last October.....
Your problem at the kormányablak would have been a civil matter so the police wold not have been interested. A civil court procedure would be needed - not a cost effective solution.

IMO anyone buying a second hand diesel car should factor in the timing belt replacement in the price agreed. What I do with my land Rover is to buy after market parts for everything except the belt and give these to the garage and let them get the belt. (In the case of subsequent belt failure the garage did a supply and fit) I am probably lucky in my garage accepting this mode of working. (they don't want the hassle of sourcing bits for a 26 year old Land Rover)

Good luck registering the motor bike.

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I now live in Croatia and still have the van, still on GB plates.
How do you sort the annual MOT? Or is it an drive to the UK?
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
What I do with my land Rover is to buy after market parts for everything except the belt and give these to the garage and let them get the belt. (In the case of subsequent belt failure the garage did a supply and fit) I am probably lucky in my garage accepting this mode of working. (they don't want the hassle of sourcing bits for a 26 year old Land Rover)

Good luck registering the motor bike.
I know a guy at Unix parts supplier, as I used to teach his daughter, and he always gives me trade discount on parts. He quoted 63,000ft for the complete timing belt kit and water pump. My local mechanic was quoting up to 200,000ft for parts alone, plus fitting. That's a huge difference. Unfortunately, he won't guarantee the work if I supply the parts.
Whilst crawling about underneath the car yesterday doing the oil change, I noticed a lot of rust (and holes) in the floor pans and sills so I'm now also looking for an inexpensive welder. I don't want to tackle it myself.

On the bike front, it went through it's first mūszaki and eredeti vizsga on Friday so Monday morning I'm off to the vámhivatal and kormányablak to finish off the registration. Hopefully, there'll be no problems as I've already got the paperwork from the kormányablak to say that everything is ok with the legality of the bike. I had to go there in October as the bike hadn't been on the road since 2003 and came with old style German paperwork so they had to write to the German authorities.
Fingers crossed 🤞
Old Jan 28th 2024, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary

How do you sort the annual MOT? Or is it an drive to the UK?
No, I just don't use it on the road. When I moved it came on a low loader. I still want to re-register it but sitting for over 12 years has taken its toll. I've had to do quite a lot of welding on it and will also need to do work on the brakes to get it ready for the inspections. Money is tight at the moment so it might have to stay off the road until 2027 when I get my UK pension.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I know a guy at Unix parts supplier, as I used to teach his daughter, and he always gives me trade discount on parts. He quoted 63,000ft for the complete timing belt kit and water pump. My local mechanic was quoting up to 200,000ft for parts alone, plus fitting. That's a huge difference. Unfortunately, he won't guarantee the work if I supply the parts.
And the local mechanic probably buys his parts from Unix as well! Either he doesn't know the cost of the parts or he just wants the extra mark up on the bits as extra profit. (It could be the difference between original manufacture parts and after market parts - and he probably uses after market bits anyway and charges for OM parts)
Choices
1 Ask the mechanic if he will use Unix parts and give a guarantee and give a better price.
2 Find a more reasonable priced mechanic.
3 pay up and look big.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Searching for a more reasonably priced mechanic.

The bike is now registered 👍😀 Need to source some new tyres for it though. The current tyres are almost like new with 'as new' tread. Unfortunately, the front was made in the 1980s and the rear in the 90s. The bike is a 1990 Suzuki Intruder with 11,000km from new and has been garaged since 2003.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The story gets worse....
It would appear that the car I bought should have failed it's mūszaki 8n a big way due to rust. When I bought it, it had only passed its test a few days earlier.
Fortunately, a family member is a body repair guy and is currently welding it, although, to be honest, it should be scrapped it's so bad.
We seriously contemplated reporting the testing station but that would mean a very long process and me losing more money so we've opted to have it repaired.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

The story gets worse....
It would appear that the car I bought should have failed it's mūszaki 8n a big way due to rust. When I bought it, it had only passed its test a few days earlier.
Fortunately, a family member is a body repair guy and is currently welding it, although, to be honest, it should be scrapped it's so bad.
We seriously contemplated reporting the testing station but that would mean a very long process and me losing more money so we've opted to have it repaired.
Unfortunately duff MOTs are all to common here.
Old Feb 26th 2024, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

And so it continues..... I bought the timing belt kit. I know the guy at the parts supplier and trust his recommendations, plus I get a big discount. Then it came to finding a mechanic to fit it. My first choice was my neighbour, the mayor's brother, who runs a small car repair business. He didn't seem confident and came back with a price of about 80,000ft just for labour and he wasn't keen on fitting parts that I supplied. I understand that garages make a good profit on supplying parts but come on. Anyway, he said he'd watched a YouTube video and it was a difficult job. I KNOW IT'S NOT EASY! But he's the mechanic. So he was out of the equation.
Next stop was a private Mazda workshop in Eger. Labour price about 50,000ft BUT if I supplied the parts the labour price would be 100,000ft!! and they weren't happy about me supplying the parts.
In the end we phoned the mechanic that we've used for pretty much everything for the last 15 years. He estimated around 45,000ft labour and didn't bother about me supplying the parts. it's booked in tomorrow.

​​​
Old Feb 26th 2024, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

It sounds like about half a days work.

What I do is to get the bits except for the belt and leave the garage to get the belt. They are happy with this. I leave them to get the belt 'cos if it breaks because they put it in wrongly they can't blame the belt that I supplied.

The annoyance I have with modern cars is that the cam belts were only introduced to reduce cost on build and to get a slight noise reduction. For the end user it just increases cost over the old good for ever timing chains.
Old Feb 27th 2024, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

My local mechanic reckoned it would take him at least a day but the guys that are doing it have a lot more experience.
I much prefer timing chains. It was a big plus point when we were looking for a car for my wife a couple of years ago and bought a Chevrolet Aveo.
Old Feb 28th 2024, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

We dropped the car off yesterday morning and received a call from the mechanic in the afternoon saying that he didn't want to work on the car as it was so rotten underneath. He advised not to spend a penny on it.
I can't tell you how stressed this is making me. I have bought dozens of cars over the years but had no idea how bad this one was.
I now have 3 choices:
Scrap the car and lose around half a million forints.
Sell the car for someone else to do the welding as the rest of the car is fine and is a very economical good runner and lose 200-300,000ft
Report the garage that did the fraudulent műszaki in January and try and recover and try and get back most of my money. This will be the longest, most drawn out option, with no guarantee of a positive outcome and will prolong why stress and anxiety.
Old Feb 28th 2024, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

We dropped the car off yesterday morning and received a call from the mechanic in the afternoon saying that he didn't want to work on the car as it was so rotten underneath. He advised not to spend a penny on it.
I can't tell you how stressed this is making me. I have bought dozens of cars over the years but had no idea how bad this one was.
I now have 3 choices:
Scrap the car and lose around half a million forints.
Sell the car for someone else to do the welding as the rest of the car is fine and is a very economical good runner and lose 200-300,000ft
Report the garage that did the fraudulent műszaki in January and try and recover and try and get back most of my money. This will be the longest, most drawn out option, with no guarantee of a positive outcome and will prolong why stress and anxiety.
I would go to the garage first and tell them that unless they refund the cost of the car (and any other expenses you have had) you will report them to trading standards and the police and as part of the conversations you can ask them if they really want the police investigating all the MOTs they have done in the past months. Based on their reaction you then make further decisions.
You never know they might just roll over - worth a try

Either way I would report them anyway because if they did it to yours they will have done it to others and who knows how many unsafe vehicles are on the road.
Old Feb 28th 2024, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

We've got an appointment with our solicitor on Friday so we'll see what she suggests.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.