Van Insurance

Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Van Insurance

I will probably be using a UK registered van in Hungary and Germany for a while. My Direct Line insurance only lets me take out European cover for up to 3 months, although I can get a green card that covers the whole year. The green card only provides the bare minimum of cover though. I'm wondering if I can take out insurance in Hungary so that I can stay fully covered?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:57 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Van Insurance

Hi Fidbosa, I have only heard of one Brit trying to insure a UK registered car here but it would only have been third party. In they end they couldn't insure it as the vehicle was RHD. We searched but couldn't find any other way except for the green card.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:43 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I will probably be using a UK registered van in Hungary and Germany for a while. My Direct Line insurance only lets me take out European cover for up to 3 months, although I can get a green card that covers the whole year. The green card only provides the bare minimum of cover though. I'm wondering if I can take out insurance in Hungary so that I can stay fully covered?
I have sent you a link to a company who will insure a UK reg vehicle even if you have no UK address
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:52 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hope they do Hungary for you.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

This is turning out to be a real nightmare. I rang my insurance today to try to get a green card but now they are threatening to cancel my policy. I am going on a househunting trip but don't know how long it will take so only booked the ferry one way. When I was unable to give them a return date they said they will only cover me if I'm a permanent resident in UK. My policy runs out in August anyway and by the time I find a house, do the legal stuff, move all my stuff etc it will probably be getting to August. I will have to book a return ferry crossing or flight but then, knowing my luck I will then have to go back to Hungary a couple of weeks later to sign documents for a house purchase.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:05 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fidbosa, in most instances, the house purchase can be completed within a few days.
If I'm correct and you are bringing the camper, what about the caravan and camping club insurance? We insured our motorhome through them and were covered fully comp in Europe and third party in Africa for 12 months, granted that was some years ago but it might be worth looking into?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, I'm not bringing the camper this time, when I booked the crossing I had to give vehicle details and didn't risk putting down those of the camper as it's not MoTd at present. I have booked it for my normal Vauxhall Combo van. I might leave the van in Hungary when I come back as I will need a bigger van for the actual move. The Vauxhall is not worth all that much so I would risk leaving it parked up somewhere uninsured with my cover transferred to another vehicle. I might even be able to sell it in Hungary.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:40 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Have sent you a PM
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:49 pm

I am interested to know, Did the link I sent you prove useful?

This IMO is the worst thing about living abroad, I find it cheaper and much less hastle to have a car in each country, the down side of this is that you have to get used to driving old bangers, unless of course you are loaded.

I will be selling my Hungarian estate car before I leave in march, it cost me about 1000 GBP in all but I would be happy to get €600 not sure how to put it into an other persons name but I know it does cost, the insurance on it is about €70, the Mot has about 14 months to go, (it's 2 years here).

I will be advertising it as soon as I get a Van.

Last edited by anonimouse; Jan 31st 2011 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the replies and PMs. I did email those brokers to see if they can do cover in Hungary but no reply yet.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

That's a good buy Anonimouse, if I hadn't just bought the Rover I would be interested. Let me know if it's still available nearer the time as I might be getting rid of the Chevy.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
That's a good buy Anonimouse, if I hadn't just bought the Rover I would be interested. Let me know if it's still available nearer the time as I might be getting rid of the Chevy.
Will do
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:00 pm

Just remembered this morning, my Hungarian friend insures his English reg car through the Farmers Union in the Uk, I think he may use his UK address, I'm not sure how much foreign cover he actually has but he is here more than in the UK, might be worth an enquiry.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:52 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
The green card only provides the bare minimum of cover though.
Just confirming that the green card is no longer required in Hungary. We, unfortunately, had a 40 year old girl racer drive into the back of our stationary car and have spent two days trying to deal with her, her parents (don't ask) and her insurance company. She was getting herself worked up into a right state because we only gave her our insurance details and not the number of our green card, until her father and the insurance agent confirmed that it was no longer required.
Have to admit I was impressed with the police, who, arrived within 15 minutes and couldn't have been more helpful. Having hit the car, she left the scene and were it not for her "thoughtfulness" in leaving her number plate behind we would never have found out who done it as there were no witnesses. The damage is in excess of £1,300. Food for thought then as I was only insured third party, so VERY lucky in this case.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry to hear that, was it the Rover?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.