British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   UK Referendum: It's Leave. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/uk-referendum-its-leave-879356/)

fidobsa Jun 25th 2016 6:26 am

Re: UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 11983349)
If you haven't got residency yet - in your place I would apply for it soon based on your wife being Hungarian. I'm not sure of the exact regs. however I believe that non EU people need to prove income whilst EU members do not, either way if you don't have residency IMO you should get it soon

I had to provide proof of income when I applied for residency in January 2012. This was in the form of 2 bank statements showing rent payments from my tenant in Scotland.

Peter_in_Hungary Jun 25th 2016 11:29 am

After some consideration and although I have a settler status in Hungary, being an EU citizen (i.e. a citizen of a member state of the EU) gives advantages living here that following Brexit I would loose, therefore I have decided to apply for Hungarian citizenship.

duztee Jun 25th 2016 11:56 am

Possibly the wider issue that Hungary may also decide to withdraw from the EU is now more likely.

The Leader here has already given a radio interview making the point that the EU has failed to answer the questions asked by the Hungarian parliament, not in itself a statement of intent, but one of growing dissatisfaction.

jetsam1 Jun 25th 2016 12:45 pm

I'm wondering if Visas would be made difficult by the government? I'm still not convinced the Visegrad group would actually leave too? Too many people in power playing political games.

I do have my residence and all the cards too (ADO, TAJ etc). Just struggling with the language as two small children limit your time.

wolfi Jun 25th 2016 1:59 pm

If Hungary leaves the EU, they'll even have more need of any money that tourists and expats might bring - so they won't make it too difficult to visit/live here.

Pollypaprika Jun 25th 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 11984071)
After some consideration and although I have a settler status in Hungary, being an EU citizen (i.e. a citizen of a member state of the EU) gives advantages living here that following Brexit I would loose, therefore I have decided to apply for Hungarian citizenship.

Out of interest, I am assuming you need to be fluent in Hungarian to apply for citizenship if you live here?

fidobsa Jun 25th 2016 2:58 pm

Hungarian Citizenship Now Much Easier To Obtain - Xpatloop.com - Expat Life In Budapest, Hungary - Current affairs

Pollypaprika Jun 25th 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks. So no Hungarian roots or no Hungarian marriage basically bars you from applying.

jetsam1 Jun 25th 2016 3:22 pm

So basic conversational Hungarian then? Say hello, how are you and basic statements about you and your life? Ok, that's achievable......

fidobsa Jun 25th 2016 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 11984288)
So basic conversational Hungarian then? Say hello, how are you and basic statements about you and your life? Ok, that's achievable......

You do have to understand the questions though! This is the thing with learning a language, they can teach you questions and answers but they can't teach you every possible answer to a particular question or every possible wording of a question like "How are you?".

Pollypaprika Jun 25th 2016 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 11984305)
You do have to understand the questions though! This is the thing with learning a language, they can teach you questions and answers but they can't teach you every possible answer to a particular question or every possible wording of a question like "How are you?".

Exactly. Always a way to catch you out ;) In my last Hungarian exam everything was in Hungarian, i.e. all the instructions even though it was at B1 level. The invigilator spoke only in Hungarian so I had to watch other people to see when I had to turn over the paper. lol

jetsam1 Jun 25th 2016 6:40 pm

Does anyone know anyone who has done it? I could in theory go for it next year apparently as I have a Hungarian wife and Hungarian children and it's reduced to 3 years apparently.......!

So potentially can be safe then. I assume that the test would be much like the UK citizenship test which I understand was pretty challenging even for a local! So history, culture, language etc. What sort of level of speaking/written language? I will be relying on books and my Wife though....

fidobsa Jun 26th 2016 5:36 am

Did you look at my link? I assumed that the simplification referred to meant that now they only test you on language, not history or whatever.

jetsam1 Jun 26th 2016 5:45 am

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 11984924)
Did you look at my link? I assumed that the simplification referred to meant that now they only test you on language, not history or whatever.

I also checked the webpage of the President's Office and a few other places and they all mention a constitutinal test. Whether that has changed again very recently and no-one has updated any of the official documents yet I don't know. I would expect they would want evidence of knowing howthe country worked and some background too I would have thought?

I'm still frazzled from Saturday morning.

FenTiger Jun 26th 2016 7:56 am

Wonder where this places me being deaf? I would need assistance via a sign language interpreter. I have a deaf friend in Hungary who was born in Egypt and he is now a Hungarian citizen so should I decide to go down this route I'd ask him.