Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Referendum: It's Leave.

So, now it has come to pass (mathematically at least) how is this going to effect all of us?

Should I be preparing to get booted out? My wife and kids are Hungarian citizens but I'm not and I have no idea how that is going to be treated? Oh and if it gets that bad could be fun with my son and wife going to Non EU entrances at the borders whereas me and my daughter go the UK citizens entrance. And vice versa. I think moving back to the UK is not possible for the whole family anyway as we have seen what happens to UK citizens with non EY/UK spouses.... I have also witnessed this first hand to.

I have 3 years to get fluent and apply for citizenship. Can all the chaos last until just after that? Assuming Hungarian magically becomes easier to learn......

Now I'm seriously wondering about putting everything on hold until it's clearer exactly what is going to happen. Which is a problem as we had already agreed to move in two months time.

Just can't believe it
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Referendum: It's Leave.

I know the results are still being counted but looks like 'Leave' will win. Long term plan is to move to Hungary, probably next three years. My wife is Hungarian so atleast I have one foot wedged against the door stopping me living in Hungary. Hungarian citizenship is becoming an option.
Wonder what will happen to the 500,000 Brits living in Spain? Also what will happen to all the EU non-Brits living and working here?
I think the EU are to blame for the 'Leave' because of the talk of admitting Turkey into the EU and saying 'Non' or 'Nem' whenever Britain tried to cut a better deal.
Immigration, whether legal or illegal won't end ..... it will continue .....
A sad day for Britain and EU unity
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:20 am
Just Joined

canadaelk is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting to see how this affects everything. Sympathy of course to those who are distressed by the unknown changes that will take place, which includes many of us.

Can somebody clarify the difference between EU and EEA membership and how that pertains to expats residency rights?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winston1618
Interesting to see how this affects everything. Sympathy of course to those who are distressed by the unknown changes that will take place, which includes many of us.

Can somebody clarify the difference between EU and EEA membership and how that pertains to expats residency rights?
From what I understand the free movement principle is actually part of the EEA as Norway have to abide by the same rules as full members of the EU. The issue is I suppose that the momentum could well be for complete removal of the UK from all European agreements which then would remove the right for workers to work anywhere within the EEA.

However, I think anything could happen and I am really wanting to know how the Hungarian government are going to react.

Seeing as over half of all immigration to the UK is from non-EU countries I honestly think the wrong target has been fired at by the leave campaign and voters.

After seeing this campaign and it's fall out I don't think I would want to go back and live in the UK to be quite honest. Especially the area I used to live as I think the vote simply clarifies what I always suspected to be true.

Oh and Scotland now. Will there be a UK in a few years time? I would be eligible for Scottish citizenship potentially......

Last edited by jetsam1; Jun 24th 2016 at 5:28 am.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:48 am
Just Joined

canadaelk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jetsam1
From what I understand the free movement principle is actually part of the EEA as Norway have to abide by the same rules as full members of the EU. The issue is I suppose that the momentum could well be for complete removal of the UK from all European agreements which then would remove the right for workers to work anywhere within the EEA.

However, I think anything could happen and I am really wanting to know how the Hungarian government are going to react.

Seeing as over half of all immigration to the UK is from non-EU countries I honestly think the wrong target has been fired at by the leave campaign and voters.

After seeing this campaign and it's fall out I don't think I would want to go back and live in the UK to be quite honest. Especially the area I used to live as I think the vote simply clarifies what I always suspected to be true.

Oh and Scotland now. Will there be a UK in a few years time? I would be eligible for Scottish citizenship potentially......
Apologies, I was thinking this was in the general 'europe' thread and not specific to any one country, so I'm afraid I've not got any real insight into Hungary's mindset.

Could be business as usual for another few years, or it could be the catalyst for WW3 (!). As you say, it seems to emphasis a number of divisions that having been building for some time. But to what extent nobody can speculate with any certainty.

At this point I suppose I'll remain philosophical and flexible and hope that's good enough going forward.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by winston1618
Apologies, I was thinking this was in the general 'europe' thread and not specific to any one country, so I'm afraid I've not got any real insight into Hungary's mindset.

Could be business as usual for another few years, or it could be the catalyst for WW3 (!). As you say, it seems to emphasis a number of divisions that having been building for some time. But to what extent nobody can speculate with any certainty.

At this point I suppose I'll remain philosophical and flexible and hope that's good enough going forward.
No worries! I'm trying to calm down.

I will automatically be able to take up Scottish citizenship and so will both my kids so that will quite possibly be haapening as the UK breaks up.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

when I came to Hungary in 1992 I got settler status which in (main) part was due to me being married to a Hungarian. This status gave me the right to live work and buy land in Hungary. The only difference is that I can't vote in national elections, (local elections I get to vote). Hungary joined the EU and most of my settler rights were overtaken by EU rights. I now presume that with Brexit my settler rights come to the fore again. I will inquire of the relevant office but I would expect this status to be available to those married to Hungarians. It must be worth asking the question. By the way I have a Hungarian ID card the same as my wife - except that it is green.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
when I came to Hungary in 1992 I got settler status which in (main) part was due to me being married to a Hungarian. This status gave me the right to live work and buy land in Hungary. The only difference is that I can't vote in national elections, (local elections I get to vote). Hungary joined the EU and most of my settler rights were overtaken by EU rights. I now presume that with Brexit my settler rights come to the fore again. I will inquire of the relevant office but I would expect this status to be available to those married to Hungarians. It must be worth asking the question. By the way I have a Hungarian ID card the same as my wife - except that it is green.
I will be very interested if this comes back. I am just worrying about my status as I came to Hungary under the EU rules and what might happen. I would hope being married to a Hungarian would help!!! However I know that the UK doesn't care about that. So if I do have to go back I probably wouldn't be able to take the wife and one of the kids back.

I'm just panicking a little! Especially as I don't think the EU will be disposed to give much away in the negotiations.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

The other question is whether you can still afford to live in Hungary if your income comes from UK. The £ hit a 31 year low this morning and I can't see it picking up again any time soon.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
The other question is whether you can still afford to live in Hungary if your income comes from UK. The £ hit a 31 year low this morning and I can't see it picking up again any time soon.
Got bees and we are of working age. We will muddle through somehow. People on pensions though......... I worry about them.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe I am being naive, but I cannot see it having an impact on people already in Hungary who have bought a property and registered here. Just like legal immigrants in the UK will be allowed to stay.

What would become an issue would be if Hungary were to leave the EU.

I concur that your pound might not go as far as it used to for a while, but I should expect it will recover.

What disappoints me most about Brexit isn't actually the IN or OUT issue, but at how divided people are on this issue. I have seen some awful things being posted on social media...people calling other people stupid for their views etc.

What's done is done. Now let's all pull together and make the best of it.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Keep Calm!
I personally don't think anything much is going to change.
Brits have been exporting them selves all over the world for eons.
Just take a look at this forum, there are probably more non EU ex pats, and they are not panicking.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty foresees a two-year negotiation process between the UK and other Member States, during which time the terms of the UK’s exit from the European Union will be decided. This can be looked on as a breathing space or 2 years of having the sword of Damocles over ones head
Old Jun 24th 2016, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Got bees and we are of working age. We will muddle through somehow. People on pensions though......... I worry about them.
If you haven't got residency yet - in your place I would apply for it soon based on your wife being Hungarian. I'm not sure of the exact regs. however I believe that non EU people need to prove income whilst EU members do not, either way if you don't have residency IMO you should get it soon
Old Jun 24th 2016, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm only concerned just a little bit (my sister is married to an Englishman) but as a European I find it a bitter result.

And everybody I know thinks the Brits will have to pay for this somehow - of course not the old geezers which voted Brexit overwhelmingly, but the young people which voted remain (at least two thirds of them).

But for you expats in Hungary (or other EU states) I think not much will change!

Well, I'm still hoping that there will be a modus vivendi for all of us in Europe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.