Towing Trailers

Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Towing Trailers

Help in understanding regulations, Trailer under 750 kg towed by Car, trailer no breaks, new Towing Bracket Fitted document for this I will have, Do I have to Test and regersted the Trailer as only used as a Hobby Trailer, my Uk licence cover Towing Trailers thanks digger
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Towing Trailers

Hi
First I assume you are driving a car with Hungarian number plates.

Trailers are classed as separate vehicles in Hungary. This means that they have their own identity, which means number plates and MOTs along with road tax and their own insurance. So all of this will be needed before you can go on the road. This also means that home made trailers are not allowed, or at least if you want to make your own then it has to be designed by an engineer and then design approved, then the build approved. (I did this for my 2 ton tipping trailer, but not worth it for a small box trailer)

If you are only going to use the trailer on unmade dirt roads technically you still need all the regulations but in practice no one will bother - until something goes wrong!!!

The maximum gross weight for a trailer without brakes is 750kgs gross, but not all cars will be able to tow this. I believe the maximum weight for a trailer without brakes that can be towed is half the kerb weight of the towing car.

When you have a tow bar fitted the car will need a new MOT and the log book updated to reflect that fact of the tow bar and the new log book will define the maximum allowable gross weights of both braked and un-braked trailers. Home made tow bars are not allowed. Depending upon the type of Hungarian driving licence held the driver will be limited to a maximum total weight limit. (standard 'B' licence is up to 3500kgs)

If you are resident in Hungary you eventually will have to have a Hungarian driving licence, but the rules about when you have to change to a Hungarian licence have changed since I came here and I am not sure what the new rules are, although I seem to remember a thread on the forum about this. (perhaps your UK licence is good until it expires??)
Old Jan 19th 2014, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Hi
First I assume you are driving a car with Hungarian number plates.

Trailers are classed as separate vehicles in Hungary. This means that they have their own identity, which means number plates and MOTs along with road tax and their own insurance. So all of this will be needed before you can go on the road. This also means that home made trailers are not allowed, or at least if you want to make your own then it has to be designed by an engineer and then design approved, then the build approved. (I did this for my 2 ton tipping trailer, but not worth it for a small box trailer)

If you are only going to use the trailer on unmade dirt roads technically you still need all the regulations but in practice no one will bother - until something goes wrong!!!

The maximum gross weight for a trailer without brakes is 750kgs gross, but not all cars will be able to tow this. I believe the maximum weight for a trailer without brakes that can be towed is half the kerb weight of the towing car.

When you have a tow bar fitted the car will need a new MOT and the log book updated to reflect that fact of the tow bar and the new log book will define the maximum allowable gross weights of both braked and un-braked trailers. Home made tow bars are not allowed. Depending upon the type of Hungarian driving licence held the driver will be limited to a maximum total weight limit. (standard 'B' licence is up to 3500kgs)

If you are resident in Hungary you eventually will have to have a Hungarian driving licence, but the rules about when you have to change to a Hungarian licence have changed since I came here and I am not sure what the new rules are, although I seem remember a thread on the forum about this. (perhaps your UK licence is good until it expires??)

Thanks Peter, the information is clear now, but I think until I have needs to travel om the main roads I will have to take a chance on the Law. I have to travel around the Plot Area, collecting horse manure straw bales and later on apples for the cider press last year it just abought killed me with pushing pads barrow, I have concerns over taking a test over hear if they insist then end of my driving in Hungary
Old Jan 19th 2014, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

No, if you have a UK licence you can get it changed to a Hungarian one but you will need to pass a medical and then take regular medicals which get more frequent as you get older. I had to get mine changed because my 10 year photo licence expired. I was a bit concerned when they started asking me what is the biggest vehicle I drive. I thought they might restrict my groups but I think I can still drive a 7.5 tonne with trailer if ever I feel the need!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
No, if you have a UK licence you can get it changed to a Hungarian one but you will need to pass a medical and then take regular medicals which get more frequent as you get older. I had to get mine changed because my 10 year photo licence expired. I was a bit concerned when they started asking me what is the biggest vehicle I drive. I thought they might restrict my groups but I think I can still drive a 7.5 tonne with trailer if ever I feel the need!
Thank,s for information, my usege is above but if need to collect bulk items say from Bamax they offer the hire of Trailer all I need is just something to use on the Plot Area roads. thanks again to all to the support in this blog digger