Tow Bar or not?

Old Sep 20th 2020, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tow Bar or not?

I'm looking into buying a new car and one option comes up for a tow bar and electrics connection.

Is it worth having one added on before driving away or at a future date? I can't see myself towing anything although I might want to add a bike rack on the rear at some point. There's a Thule version which you can lean at an angle so you can open the rear door without having to take the bike/s off.

Old Sep 20th 2020, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tow Bar or not?

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'm looking into buying a new car and one option comes up for a tow bar and electrics connection.

Is it worth having one added on before driving away or at a future date? I can't see myself towing anything although I might want to add a bike rack on the rear at some point. There's a Thule version which you can lean at an angle so you can open the rear door without having to take the bike/s off.
It is not as simple as sticking a tow bar on a car here.
If you put a tow bar on it has to be fitted professionally and is part of the MOT so if you get a new car and then decide to get a tow bar 6 months later then your car needs an MOT to inspect the tow bar installation and your log book will need updating to reflect the fact that there is a tow bar and the log book will also define the weights of trailers, both with and without breaks that your car is allowed to tow.

So if you think you might need one then get it fitted as part of the options of a new car. Much easier than doing it later.
Old Sep 20th 2020, 10:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEpL...CarBuyersGuide
Personally I would have one, they are very useful as protection for your car, I had one on every car, although I did have a caravan at one time I still kept on even after the caravan was sold, I had two minor prangs with idiots running into the back of my car, which as unharmed, but I couldn't say that for the car behind, which, on one occasion had a damaged radiator. Well worth the savings on hassle of getting the car repaired, and all the problems with insurance companies.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 12:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Personally I would have one, they are very useful as protection for your car, I had one on every car, although I did have a caravan at one time I still kept on even after the caravan was sold, I had two minor prangs with idiots running into the back of my car .....
I agree with this advice. While my daily vehicle at the moment is a pickup truck, and so larger and tougher than a "car", not to mention higher, I have been rear-ended by a Hyundai.

If there was any damage to my truck it was confined to some minor abrasion to the paint on the tow-bar receiver (the square channel the tow hitch is pinned into), but the Hyundai had a beautiful square hole punched through his front bumper. ... He was lucky that [1] I didn't have ball hitch inserted that day, and [2] he didn't destroy his radiator.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 21st 2020 at 12:28 am.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

As a bonus you can reverse into cars when parking at Tesco, damage their bumper and number plate at the sane time.

Thanks tow bar people 👍
Old Sep 21st 2020, 12:41 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
As a bonus you can reverse into cars when parking at Tesco, damage their bumper and number plate at the sane time.

Thanks tow bar people 👍

Another bonus of a tow bar is you can just about put yourself on the ground in agony when you walk into one and hit it with your knee. I've done that twice because I was in a hurry and forgot about the thing.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 1:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Another bonus of a tow bar is you can just about put yourself on the ground in agony when you walk into one and hit it with your knee. I've done that twice because I was in a hurry and forgot about the hitch.
Me too! .... Which is why, per my post above, I didn't have the ball hitch installed in the receiver (the receiver does not protrude beyond the bumper) and only do so when I actually need to tow a trailer.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 2:55 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Me too! .... Which is why, per my post above, I didn't have the ball hitch installed in the receiver (the receiver does not protrude beyond the bumper) and only do so when I actually need to tow a trailer.
I have an old estate wagon and it had the set up when I bought the thing. It actually has a painted piece of plastic to match the car paint and when its removed all you have to do is insert the metal part that has the ball on it. I am not sure it is even mentioned on the cars inspection paperwork for the Hungarian Muszaki (inspection) the vehicle just had a couple months ago. I have since removed the thing and stowed it in the back and replaced the plastic bumper insert. I will have to look to see on the inspection papers if they checked that.. I have only pulled a trailer with it once to collect some stuff at a local home center. I did not know until seeing another thread that you were required to have an endorsement on your DL for pulling one. I guess if I can ever get the drivers license thing sorted I will try to make certain I can do that legally. Our car has the Hungarian plates on it and even doing that was a major pain to get sorted. Nothing is easy here dealing with vehicles here in Hungary.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Tow bar it is then. Thanks for the great advice.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to have the car's electrics updated properly, all the lights and the distance warner too (if you got one).
I bought my little Opel 12 years ago already with a detachable tow bar, it's only put on when we have to move a trailer.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
Don't forget to have the car's electrics updated properly, all the lights and the distance warner too (if you got one).
I bought my little Opel 12 years ago already with a detachable tow bar, it's only put on when we have to move a trailer.
The detachable version with electrics is what I want.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever;12912463.
I did not know until seeing another thread that you were required to have an endorsement on your DL for pulling one. I guess if I can ever get the drivers license thing sorted I will try to make certain I can do that legally.
you don't need an endorsement on your driving licence. As I said above a group B licence gives you car and trailer up to 3500kg.
The endorsement needed is on the cars registration document
If you passes your UK test before January 1997 with a group B you are allowed a total weight of 8250kg so on this basis you could argue for a group BE on your Hungarian licence.
With regard to getting your Hungarian licence sorted - get a move on because all the info says things could get more difficult after Jan 1st 2021, although if you have started the process you should be OK - so I am told.

And another reason to have a hook on your car - OBI have trailers that you can borrow free (for 3 hours) if you have more than will fit in the boot (or stuff that you don't want in the boot)

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Sep 21st 2020 at 11:41 am.