Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Taking the Plunge !!!!

Taking the Plunge !!!!

Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Avalon1959 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking the Plunge !!!!

Well, we have decided to do it. We are moving to a small village about 12 miles west of Tamasi. Arriving on the 12th May.
We will be running a small camping, caravan and motorhome site just outside the village.
Anyone on the forum living nearby please get in touch as we no doubt will have many questions to ask !!!
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Taking the Plunge !!!!

Originally Posted by Avalon1959
Well, we have decided to do it. We are moving to a small village about 12 miles west of Tamasi. Arriving on the 12th May.
We will be running a small camping, caravan and motorhome site just outside the village.
Anyone on the forum living nearby please get in touch as we no doubt will have many questions to ask !!!
Good luck with it all

At least you might get some bookings from people going to the Ozora Festival this year (August)...although I think camping is mostly on site.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
Watching what I say as the messenger is sick of getting shot but... not sure which village it is but make sure things are secure and watch out for duplicitous minions down that way
Old Mar 12th 2014, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Good Luck with your new venture
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:10 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck ! Have a wonderful summer & beyond
Old Mar 19th 2014, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best for the future
Old May 26th 2014, 9:14 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to add to this that I have recently been told that a British agent is advising folk that they don't require any permissions to open a campsite on their land. This is simply not true and will only serve to cause people problems in the future. An accommodation licence is required as well as registration of the accommodation, insurance, tax registration - to name but a few.
There are strict requirements in Hungary regards the providing of accommodation and inspections do occur - especially if the locals feel you are a threat to any services they provide.
If the site intends providing +9 spaces, the requirements are far greater.

It's great that people are looking to invest in Hungary but remember, an estate agent is there to sell you a property, some at twice it's market value and what problems you have later is not their concern. Do your research and do not rely on just the word of one person.
Old May 26th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
It's great that people are looking to invest in Hungary but remember, an estate agent is there to sell you a property, some at twice it's market value and what problems you have later is not their concern. Do your research and do not rely on just the word of one person.
Its the same old same old....making people believe they can just buy anywhere in Hungary and make a thriving business. Hungary is not the South of France or the Costas...you have to be careful where you choose to invest.
Old May 26th 2014, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Good luck
Old May 26th 2014, 9:55 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Its the same old same old....making people believe they can just buy anywhere in Hungary and make a thriving business. Hungary is not the South of France or the Costas...you have to be careful where you choose to invest.
Location is paramount and if you cater to a niche then you have even more chance of success - oh, where have I read that before.......

What is worrying me is folk starting up B&B's, campsites and the like without the correct advise regards licences, insurance etc.
Not condoning it but I know several Brits running B&B's where they under declare the number of visitors - they are at least registered as accommodation and have the correct license, insurance in place and retain an accountant.
Old May 27th 2014, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck Avalon and make the most out of your opportunities in Hungary. There is small issue here, as Rural said, the location is paramount on setting up your business. Tamasi is situated quite South from the Balaton, Siofok, the most popular areas for caravanning.

You need to know which area around your village is the most popular with visitors in order to be able to set up a successful business. Make all the necessary enquiries, as Hungarians like to be catered for, they like to have shower facilities, as well as clean and tidy toilets. These days people want some access to Wifi, so you have to think about quite a lot of things before you start a good caravanning site.

If this is your dream then go for it, but be aware of the legal procedures, paying the right taxes, and many more before you jump into something that later you may regret. Here corruption is high, and sometimes in order to obtain licences and other rights to run a business, you need to have the right contacts, otherwise the authorities refuse to talk to you. Do you speak the language, or have you have someone in your family to help you out, as that can be very tricky if you do not understand the Hungarian system. I speak the language fluently, and we still have to encounter so many obstacles when we need some advice or a good service.

Just be aware of builders should you need any, and never ever pay in advance for any work!!!,!!!

All the best
LZ x
Old May 27th 2014, 6:04 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Lady Zelda
If this is your dream then go for it, but be aware of the legal procedures, paying the right taxes, and many more before you jump into something that later you may regret.
LZ x
Apparently there are no regulations - all you need is a field and off you go.
What can you do though as some people don't want to hear the truth and folk love to shoot the messenger.
Old May 27th 2014, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Apparently there are no regulations - all you need is a field and off you go.
What can you do though as some people don't want to hear the truth and folk love to shoot the messenger.
Hi Rural,

I do 't know if you have ever come across with a detailed summary of the bureaucratic and legal hurdles faced by entrepreneurs wishing to incorporate and register a new firm in Hungary, but believe me there are lots of regulations besides a field to open a business. If you look at the procedures, time and cost involved in launching a commercial or industrial firm, it will not happen overnight.

First of all you need a good lawyer who will represent the company; he will create the company deed and prepare any other necessary legal document. When you fill the submission to the Registry Court you will need to pay at least 50% of subscription amount (at least HUF 250,000) into the bank account designated at the time of subscription.

Then you have to apply for registration at the Registration Court (or use a simplified electronic registration) . From March 2012 a tax registration process has been introduced, the Tax Authority first examines if the request for company’s registration was submitted to the Court of Registration and whether or not one of the statutory obstacles of the issue of a tax number exists. The Tax Authority can refuse to issue a tax number if a hindrance (e.g. tax debt exists) exists regarding an owner entitled to represent the limited company.
Registration fee is around 50000Ft to 100000ft, depending on the type of registration...it can be done electronically, but you need to feel an application form and provide with many other requested documents specified by the provisions of law.
The new company or business need to register with the Hungarian Security Office for social security reasons.

I know all these from my ex husband who many years ago set up a few businesses, and he had to hand over a hell of a lot of paperwork in order to obtain all the approvals for a registration. Perhaps times have changed and one can get it all done in a day these days.

Whoever wants to run their own business here has to follow certain legal procedures in order to obtain the right documentation. The other option is to run one illegally and risk a huge fine. After all we all have the right to park a caravan on our land, and as long as nobody knows about our business, the authorities cannot accuse one for running a business. They have to prove it first.

Anyway, I lived here before so I know that nothing goes that smoothly here.

I wish good luck to all of those who are determined to succeed. Go for it, follow your heart, just be careful. That is all I can advise. The rest comes with experience and good Networking!

LZx
Old May 27th 2014, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Forgotten Avalon, if you need help to set up your business go to Helpers.hu and ask for a quote, as they can help you set up your business in only a few days, as per what they advertise. You just never know what they can do for you to get a work permit or licences, or anything that you need.

All the very best, and when the site is running let us know to go and try our new tent there. We had no chance to try it yet, as last year we were project managing the building work around our new house and missed a good break away with the grandchildren.

LZ x
Old May 28th 2014, 6:58 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Our company helps incorporate companies, obtains permits and licences etc for entrepreneurs - we have an exceptionally good bunch of people who work with us. Hence I know the the amount of red tape involved. We are involved in attempting to have a historical building in Bereny delisted at the moment and the for that is quite demanding.

The problem is, there is a British chap who, after selling folk a property priced at up to 100% higher than the local market price, then advises that setting up a camp site is easy - so long as there are less than 10 pitches. It's actually 9 or less pitches as it then comes under a different category of accommodation and the requirements are not the same but there are still procedures and requirements.

Lets hope the couple have taken advise elsewhere and set the site up properly, as it is now up and running, otherwise they could find themselves in serious trouble. It's one thing somebody doing a bit of B&B on the side but a whole different ball game having caravans coming and going.
One of my concerns would be what do you say to the police if guests are broken into - the village has had several house breakins in the past year and the neighbouring village has quite a high crime record considering the size of the village. Do they ask their paying guests to pretend to be friends or kick them out before the police come.
Okay, it might never happen but is it worth the risk?

That said, perhaps they did manage to rush through all the relevant paperwork as electric hook ups and chemical disposal facilities are advertised and you just wouldn't mess about with those in Hungary - can you imagine how hard you would get hit if you had either without the relevant paperwork.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.