Take the Train.

Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Take the Train.

Surely all of this tattoo/horn talk is a little off-topic?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Now it is the other way round!
Now that I have looked at your picture I think I need a Palinka........or 3!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:19 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

What I don't understand is why nobody else in the airport looked twice, did I miss out on the etiquette lesson on how to react when seeing a man with horns and a face full of piercings
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:29 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammy100
Surely all of this tattoo/horn talk is a little off-topic?
6 months later.... The reply then is relevant now so I won't bother repeating it.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic may be, but interesting (in a ghoulish way) none the less.
To get back on topic.
I have spent more of my idle time looking at other rail alternatives, and really like the idea of travelling via Zurich which means crossing the Austria Tyrol and going through the Alps, very scenic route.

The problem is the more I look the more interesting trains or journeys I find, I will be going to the UK via Moscow or Barcelona soon!
Retirement is a wicked thing, .....or to return to the horns part of this thread......The Devil made me book it!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by duztee
Off topic may be, but interesting (in a ghoulish way) none the less.
To get back on topic.
I have spent more of my idle time looking at other rail alternatives, and really like the idea of travelling via Zurich which means crossing the Austria Tyrol and going through the Alps, very scenic route.

The problem is the more I look the more interesting trains or journeys I find, I will be going to the UK via Moscow or Barcelona soon!
Retirement is a wicked thing, .....or to return to the horns part of this thread......The Devil made me book it!
My skin is literally crawling at the thought of the hooks, whatever you do, don't google image search his name!

The journey through the alps sounds idyllic. One journey I have always wanted to make is the trans-siberian, that was until my son made me watch the film by the same name!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
My skin is literally crawling at the thought of the hooks, whatever you do, don't google image search his name!
Yes, on his Facebook page there is one photo if him hanging from the hooks with another bloke hanging off him for extra weight!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

I recall a similar journey that took me from Munich through the Tyrol to Innsbruck and then on to Geneva - via Basel (it was 20 years ago so I can't be 100% certain!) and the views of the mountains in Austria on a sunny autumnal day were fantastic and will never leave me. It wasn't a "special" train either and was covered by my inter-rail pass.

Did you manage to catch the recent European train journey programme hosted by Michael Portillo? If not, you should try to watch it online as I expect you will enjoy it.

I am heading to Berlin tomorrow and a part of the journey, north of Prague towards Dresden meanders for around 90 minutes along the Elba and it is stunning, and I always look forward to it.

The Deutsche Bahn website can be useful for timetable information if you haven't come across it although it doesn't quote fare-prices for journeys that don't involve a German start or finish.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have a good trip rammy.
Yes I have watched the Portillo series, He is just starting a new 25 part series of English travels tonight.
The one that confuses me is that on the Austrian fares I can ask for a 'Spar Schiene Schwiz' which is a Swiss Fare Saver, and very cheap, but hey-ho they can call it what they like as long as it's cheap.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Duztee

Yes, I saw that he was starting another UK programme although I have to pity him (well, a little) travelling around on UK railways. Some of my Northern Rail trips to work in the past were hell-on-earth.

I have not come across the Spar Schiene Schwiz but I will look into it. The return fare to Berlin comes in at €78 which I consider pretty decent.

Do let me know what you decide to do with your trip. You have me wanting to take another inter-rail trip now. Now, where is that man in seat 61......
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:11 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes, on his Facebook page there is one photo if him hanging from the hooks with another bloke hanging off him for extra weight!
Mind boggles
Old Mar 16th 2013, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Off to the UK at the end of this month.
I am flying over because I only have hand luggage, but I have booked the return in May by train.

Total cost was 190 euro, which included a supplement for a single sleeper compartment between Munich and Budapest.
Which I think still compares favourably with cheap flight airlines by the time you add their excess luggage charge for the suitcase full of teabags etc that will cost me nothing to take on the train.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Off to the UK at the end of this month.
I am flying over because I only have hand luggage, but I have booked the return in May by train.

Total cost was 190 euro, which included a supplement for a single sleeper compartment between Munich and Budapest.
Which I think still compares favourably with cheap flight airlines by the time you add their excess luggage charge for the suitcase full of teabags etc that will cost me nothing to take on the train.
LOL - suitcase of tea bags. When I am in Hungary I drink Sir Morton Garzon (English) tea bags. I quite like this blend and even brought some home.