Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

TAJ card refused !

TAJ card refused !

Old Oct 1st 2019, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAJ card refused !

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Just out of interest, when we came 5 years ago Generali offered us health insurance for about 60K per person, p.a. No idea what it covered as we didn't need it (we are pensioners so we winged it for 12 months before getting our TAJ cards) but certainly seemed cheap (but obviously would not cover pre conditions).

In fairness to Generali, we took out life cover with them for a quoted figure of 85K p.a for the two of us, when we answered their final questions (height & weight) they reduced the price by 10K.
​​​​​​
75k HF per annum for two people sounds pretty good. Think me and the wife will have to go down this path. My wife moved to UK thirty years ago so I have wondered if she would be entitled to the Hungarian NHS? By then she'd contributed fourteen years to the Hungarian NHS. She still has her Hungarian passport and as an Hungarian passport holder cannot vote in the UK General Election, only local elections.
Old Oct 6th 2019, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try speaking to (emailing) the British embassy in Budapest.

I did this before re TAJ issues. They spoke to the Hungarian side and got back to me relatively quickly.

Might be worth a try, at least to clarify if the info you have received so far is correct.
Old Oct 6th 2019, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Stegy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rickster
Goodd idea but we already tried the embassy but they couldnt clarify our situation or help us any further. Also tried Helpers Hu and they were just the same. Maybe they are both too busy with the brexit issues and other people etc. Either way they left us feeling left out on a limb. Should have turned to the forum first as I think the Ostermelo status is the way to go.
Am seeing the local falugazdász tomorrow along with a Hungarian neighbour. Hopefully my fairly limited Hungarian will be up to it as they speak no English but I will post how we get on
Old Oct 6th 2019, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary
That scenario sounds totally illegal so I must remind members about our BE rules.

Rosemary
Not sure how it could be illegal to start a job then jack it in, whatever the reason or cause of it.

Interestingly, the same solution was proposed to me by two different Hungarian accountants and a Hungarian tax expert when I was having problems getting my TAJ Card.

Old Oct 6th 2019, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stegy
Hi Rickster
Goodd idea but we already tried the embassy but they couldnt clarify our situation or help us any further. Also tried Helpers Hu and they were just the same. Maybe they are both too busy with the brexit issues and other people etc. Either way they left us feeling left out on a limb. Should have turned to the forum first as I think the Ostermelo status is the way to go.
Am seeing the local falugazdász tomorrow along with a Hungarian neighbour. Hopefully my fairly limited Hungarian will be up to it as they speak no English but I will post how we get on
Good luck with it !
Old Oct 6th 2019, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rickster000
Not sure how it could be illegal to start a job then jack it in, whatever the reason or cause of it.

Interestingly, the same solution was proposed to me by two different Hungarian accountants and a Hungarian tax expert when I was having problems getting my TAJ Card.

Yes sometimes if legally you fall between the cracks you need a legal loophole to get back out.

Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t understand this at all. We are both in our 50s and live off savings etc. Got our Taj cards six years ago. We do have to regularly renew ours as they put an end date on our cards. Am hoping Brexit won’t cause us any problems...
Old Oct 7th 2019, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cathyg
I don’t understand this at all. We are both in our 50s and live off savings etc. Got our Taj cards six years ago. We do have to regularly renew ours as they put an end date on our cards. Am hoping Brexit won’t cause us any problems...
Yes I dont understand either we are in the same position and I know of others who are and have been issued their TAJ cards as well. I was very disapointed that the British embassy were no help I thought it was part of their remit to do so..
Old Oct 7th 2019, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cathyg
I had an awful time getting my and my daughter's TAJ cards. Took me months to get them.

There is certainly a flaw in how two social security systems - UK and Hungarian - work together. I know this because they admitted this to me.
From what I gather, you can get lucky and the process goes ok. Or you can be unlucky and the process will put you in a state of limbo where both sides claim they can't help to resolve the problem.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 8:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stegy
I was very disapointed that the British embassy were no help I thought it was part of their remit to do so..
It's been a long time since the embassies fulfilled that kind of role.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

I had an awful time getting my and my daughter's TAJ cards. Took me months to get them.

There is certainly a flaw in how two social security systems - UK and Hungarian - work together. I know this because they admitted this to me.
From what I gather, you can get lucky and the process goes ok. Or you can be unlucky and the process will put you in a state of limbo where both sides claim they can't help to resolve the problem.
Yes it seems that luck and the office you go to and the staff you see play a part in what seems at times to be a bit of a lottery.
15 months of trying and we are still in that limbo where we can not access health care through the social security system of either country or even get an EHIC card despite paying into the UK system for over 30 years and now being willing to pay into the Hungarian system.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I have a similar problem but in Croatia, not Hungary. I moved to Hungary in 2011 and my income was from renting out my house in UK. I did get a TAJ card and paid into the Hungarian state health system. I failed dismally at learning Hungarian so decided to move to Croatia, where a lot more people speak English. I sold the house in Hungary and moved in October 2018 but so far have been unable to register with the Croatian state health system. The Croatians require a form E104, issued in Hungary but the Hungarians are refusing to give me this. My latest attempt to get it sorted has been to ask for help from the British Embassy in Budapest. This looks hopeful but it is early days.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I have a similar problem but in Croatia, not Hungary. I moved to Hungary in 2011 and my income was from renting out my house in UK. I did get a TAJ card and paid into the Hungarian state health system. I failed dismally at learning Hungarian so decided to move to Croatia, where a lot more people speak English. I sold the house in Hungary and moved in October 2018 but so far have been unable to register with the Croatian state health system. The Croatians require a form E104, issued in Hungary but the Hungarians are refusing to give me this. My latest attempt to get it sorted has been to ask for help from the British Embassy in Budapest. This looks hopeful but it is early days.
There is an EU office to sort such disputes. Will try to find the link again.
Are you working or are you retired?

Last edited by Thairetired2016; Oct 12th 2019 at 7:23 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
There is an EU office to sort such disputes. Will try to find the link again.
Are you working or are you retired?
Solvit?

Good idea.

https://ec.europa.eu/solvit/index_en.htm
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. You were quicker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.