Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spiky weeds everywhere. "Kiraly Dinnye"?

Spiky weeds everywhere. "Kiraly Dinnye"?

Old Sep 6th 2020, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spiky weeds everywhere. "Kiraly Dinnye"?

We have had this problem at our other Tanya for a while. It is this grass like weed that produces spiky seeds that get everywhere. We have tried cutting, manure to condition the soil more and reseeding the field with wild clover and flowers. This stuff just will not die!

Not the best picture! We have been loath to spray weedkiller etc but if that is what needs to be done..... The kids don't like going up to this Tanya due to this stuff so it gets harder and harder to do much with it.

Plan is to forest the back half with Acacia and the front half to grow root veg, animal feed etc. This part has a water irrigation system so it would be nice to persevere. Especially the way things are going and the upward trend of prices.

So, is this something anyone has battled with before and how did you kill it. I would like to get rid of it as it makes even simple things a pain. Literally, have to vut out around the bits a tractor can't reach and the small trees and irrigation system and then see if we can find a local farmer prepared to cut the main part of the field. 1.7 hectares isn't being done by hand. Our tractor is dead by the way.......
Old Sep 6th 2020, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiky weeds everywhere. "Kiraly Dinnye"?

Is it this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
The article gives tips to fight it - good luck!
Old Sep 6th 2020, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Is it this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
The article gives tips to fight it - good luck!
Similar. But this weed we are battling is much more of a grass. When it first starts growing it appears to be normal grass and then starts developing the spiky balls of doom.

I am worrying a little bit about seeds being viable for 7 years and needing to essentially plough it twice a year!!
Old Sep 7th 2020, 4:34 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Not the answer you want to hear but you may have to literally burn your garden to get rid of it and the seeds. I would be very hesitant before taking that step but I encountered a similar nuisance like this about 20 years ago and we had to burn the lawn to get rid of it and so did our neighbors. Then we rotavated the soil and sowed grass seed to restart the lawn. Even with that you may have it trying to return.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I have identified it but I don't know if that helps at all.
A common Hungarian name is átoktüske English translation (curse spike)

A link to a Hungarian site ;
https://www.kertportal.hu/atoktuske-...ktalajok-reme/

but other common English names for similar plants,
Spiny burrgrass, Coast sandbur

Old Sep 7th 2020, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ecurb
I think I have identified it but I don't know if that helps at all.
A common Hungarian name is átoktüske English translation (curse spike)

A link to a Hungarian site ;
https://www.kertportal.hu/atoktuske-...ktalajok-reme/

but other common English names for similar plants,
Spiny burrgrass, Coast sandbur
That is it. 25 years the seeds can last............ Ouch.....!!

Well, planting the forest it is then I think! And condition the soil as it apparently only likes sand. Hmmmm.

Parts of the Tanya with better soil and less direct sun seem to resist it so getting the Tarcsa out and covering it in poo may well help to knock it back. It is a 1.7 hectare Tanya so physically pulling them out may be a big job!!!

Last edited by jetsam1; Sep 7th 2020 at 3:49 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
That is it. 25 years the seeds can last............ Ouch.....!!

Well, planting the forest it is then I think! And condition the soil as it apparently only likes sand. Hmmmm.

Parts of the Tanya with better soil and less direct sun seem to resist it so getting the Tarcsa out and covering it in poo may well help to knock it back. It is a 1.7 hectare Tanya so physically pulling them out may be a big job!!!
The identification is correct - (I didn't know the plant so I asked our local expert). It needs a sandy soil and good light so the problem will be less is shady areas (as you have found) It is an annual and typical of annuals it will produce lots of seeds (up to a 1000) per plant in conditions it likes. It is important to stop it setting seeds by cutting before the seeds ripen. I have found that cutting by using a machine that chops is better than say a strimmer that will leave the stem intact because sometimes there is enough energy left in the stem to ripen seeds if the plant is close to that stage. It is going to take some time (years?) to get on top of this weed as the latent seeds will germinate. Best thing would be to get your tractor fixed and get a topper so that you are not reliant on others to do this important weed control at the right time. (IMO 1.7ha needs a working tractor anyway)

If you plant your forest this will deter the weed once the trees are established but you will need to control the weed until then otherwise it will continue spreading its seeds.
By the way what are your plans for the forest? (once trees are planted it is difficult (= expensive) to get the land back to cultivation)
Old Nov 15th 2020, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi! Long time no speak. Once again just struggling a little mentally over the last month or so.

Someone we know is asking if the Tanya is up for sale, and I will be honest I think I will see what we can negotiate. With everything else I don't think I will have time for it really.