British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Solar Power (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/solar-power-945048/)

Peter_in_Hungary Oct 15th 2022 9:16 am

Re: Solar Power

If you have thermostatic radiator valves (which you should have) then the room in which you use the wireless CH programmer should have the radiator valve turned up to max.
South and west facing windows get the most solar gain
I would expect your external insulation to be 10 cm on the walls and 2 cm on the window returns. This has been the standard for several years now.

FenTiger Oct 15th 2022 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13147921)
If you have thermostatic radiator valves (which you should have) then the room in which you use the wireless CH programmer should have the radiator valve turned up to max.
South and west facing windows get the most solar gain
I would expect your external insulation to be 10 cm on the walls and 2 cm on the window returns. This has been the standard for several years now.

To be honest I have been wondering why we don't have thermostatic radiator valves. We do have automatic air release valves as recommended by our plumber.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...8936bf36b7.jpg

Sachina Oct 15th 2022 9:50 am

My house faces south with two windows facing east and the bathroom and toilet windows, both very small, facing north. As the house is buit of adobe the outside walls are 18 inches thick which keeps the house warm in winter and cool in summer. Despite having two dogs who go in and out of the house like yo-yos in winter the inside temperature rarely drops below 19C. The roof space is fully insulated as are all the ceilings in the house which have been tongued and grooved. I've also just had the original windows refurbished and refitted and notice how much warmer the house now is.

I have a Baxi Combi boiler central heating which also provides hot water plus wood burning stoves in every room. Unless it's really really cold I only ever use the one in the living room which normally is lit around 4pm or if it's bitterly cold outside and I plan to work in there, just after lunch.

Peter_in_Hungary Oct 15th 2022 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13147925)
To be honest I have been wondering why we don't have thermostatic radiator valves. We do have automatic air release valves as recommended by our plumber.

You don't normally have more than 1 or 2 automatic air release valves on a CH system and these are usually on the high points of the pipe work. However it is not either thermostat valve or air valve because the thermostat valve goes (normally) on the flow and the air valve will fit at the top of the rad where there is no pipework.

FenTiger Oct 16th 2022 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13147972)
You don't normally have more than 1 or 2 automatic air release valves on a CH system and these are usually on the high points of the pipe work. However it is not either thermostat valve or air valve because the thermostat valve goes (normally) on the flow and the air valve will fit at the top of the rad where there is no pipework.

We have eight radiators, 5 with automatic air release, so that's 3-4 too many!

Peter_in_Hungary Oct 16th 2022 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13148164)
We have eight radiators, 5 with automatic air release, so that's 3-4 too many!

Ordinarily I would say yes however it depends on the pipe layout, if it was installed properly then yes tee many - bad workmanship might need more.

FenTiger Oct 17th 2022 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13148210)
Ordinarily I would say yes however it depends on the pipe layout, if it was installed properly then yes tee many - bad workmanship might need more.

:( I'll have a chat with one of my local friends. He's not a plumber by trade but can do alot of DIY stuff.

Peter_in_Hungary Oct 17th 2022 7:17 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13148276)
:( I'll have a chat with one of my local friends. He's not a plumber by trade but can do alot of DIY stuff.

It is worth fitting thermostat rad valves but not worth changing anything else if it is working