Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Snow - will it ever stop!

Snow - will it ever stop!

Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow - will it ever stop!

Its all melting here - Oh Hum - After the snow comes the mud.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Its all melting here - Oh Hum - After the snow comes the mud.
You're all making me think .... what would I be letting myself in for once I move to Hungary on my retirement!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry it's still OK. Even if its melting so fast that the snowmen need more support than the Greek economy
Attached Thumbnails Snow - will it ever stop!-p1100442.jpg  
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Here comes the sun da da da da da da, as the song goes!

Hope it dries the mud bath that is supposed to be our garden up a bit!

We went from building site to mud bath, no doubt it'll be baked earth by April!

Well, at least it's dry and sunny for today anyway. More snow next week if the forecasts are right. But I don't really think they have a clue!

Enjoy it everyone
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Tis a nice sunny day here too!
Been sitting on the balcony watching the world go by, .... and thinking this is going to be a really hot spot when the summer sun starts to make it's presence felt.

But this is not getting the new kitchen fitted! so back to work.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just done the same thing, proper coffee homemade Biscotti biscuits and 26 deg!

This is not getting the bathroom done either!!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

This weather is a bit bonkers. I just cannot believe we have seen the last of it. The forecast is cold again next week and then appears to be on the up. I know last year February was frightfully cold. Is this normal?

PS I am not complaining and would love more sun, just don't want to get my hopes up
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:27 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Mud bath here as well..... I always think you can tell the village folk in town by the amount of dried in mud on their shoes & the splatters all over the car

This has been a strange winter though that said, since being here, every winter has been different.
Last year was colder but little snow, this year it is far milder but a lot of snow here. February is usually a mix of extreme cold and a few sunny days but if the forecasts are correct, we aren't going to experience the extreme cold. I wouldn't say it is over yet but what is left doesn't look particularly bad. The worry with the mild February though is that trees and plants can start to bud early and if we experience late frosts, as we did last year, the crops are ruined!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
The worry with the mild February though is that trees and plants can start to bud early and if we experience late frosts, as we did last year, the crops are ruined!
Yes our apples and pears were ruined by last years late frost, but big bumper crops in everything else, but then I planted late. With the weather as it is, I haven't a clue when to sort the garden out. Will just play it by ear and see what the locals do :-)
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:35 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I claim the prize for spotting the tallest snowman. Well actually, the prize goes to a friend in the next village who emailed the photo to me. They were in the village of Zalavar and the tallest one was nigh on 15 feet.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Feb 2nd 2013 at 11:01 am.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:35 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

In future I will listen..... Daughter came home from school, just after the last lot of snow, announcing that her friend said we would have another 50cm of snow before the end of the month. I checked the long range forecast and couldn't see any snow for the rest of the month.... How wrong I was, we have about 20cm and forecast to continue through to Thursday midday - probably amounting to about 50cm.
Moral of the story, listen to the locals
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:21 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Thankfully, that seems to be the last of the heavy snow for this year
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Thankfully, that seems to be the last of the heavy snow for this year
I hope so. But the forecast here http://www.idokep.hu/ seems to suggest otherwise.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:31 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I hope so. But the forecast here http://www.idokep.hu/ seems to suggest otherwise.
Hee Hee, not over our way..... Some wet snow forecast next weekend but if it's wet, it won't come to anything. We were out and about yesterday, leaving the village there are some stunning 6 foot high drifts! Once in the lower regions, there is only a sprinkling of snow. Guess that's the price you pay for the scenery and views we enjoy
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Everything's gone here. We never had more than 15cm at any given time this year so we've been really lucky
There's a dusting forecast on Tuesday evening but I can't imagine it will amount to much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.