Snow tyres

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snow tyres

I know this topic has been kicked here and there but thought I'd post this. Interesting to see in different countries different rules. Some are mandatory, some are mandatory during wintry conditions and others non-mandatory.

Onto a different topic but snow tyre related if I move to Hungary before end of March I'll never get through some countries.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow tyres

I think if you have a set of chains you can do the trip with summer tyres. That is what I did when I first came househunting in my Vauxhall Combo van.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I think if you have a set of chains you can do the trip with summer tyres.
I don't want to scaremonger or lecture people, but technically, you can't. Germany requires you to have tyres appropriate for the weather conditions, which means winter tyres at low temperatures.

Avoiding Germany when travelling between the UK and Hungary means a very long detour.

"Snow tyres" is misleading: it isn't (primarily) about snow. Winter tyres have a different rubber formulation that keeps them soft at low temperatures so that they still grip. If temperatures are close to zero but there is no snow on the ground, you can't simply put snow chains on.

In reality, the German police aren't particularly interested in checking what tyres people have fitted; they have other priorities. But if you get pulled over for anything else, or have an accident, it won't be pleasant. German police in particular aren't impressed by people arguing that they didn't know the rules.
Old Dec 21st 2019, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Watchpost, totally agree!
I've already changed to "winter tyres" - they have a better grip when the temp falls below 10 Celsius.
And not only Germany but also Austria forces you to have them or "all season tyres" which are not as good on snow and ice however.
PS:
Snow chains are only allowed under special circumstances afaik (never had them) and you can't drive fast with them - they're ok if you want to go up in the mountains for some skiing, but for the motorway ...
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

The actual temperature at which winter tyres are more effective is 7 degrees Centigrade. They contain more silica making them more flexible at low temperatures, whereas a regular 'summer' tyre will harden up and lose grip. Winter tyres also have a lot more "sipings" or slits in the gripping surface to drive water and slush away, though in deep snow, you will need chains anyway regardless of your tyres.

If you have never driven on them before, the difference becomes apparent immediately, even in rainy conditions. I can highly recommend them.

I normally fit them from end of October until end of March.

All-Season tyres are a waste of money..even the new fancy ones from Michelin.
The investment in a set of Winter tyres pays itself back many times in safety terms and being able to cope in sometimes difficult conditions with ease, especially where you depend heavily on your car.

Old Dec 23rd 2019, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Calman, totally agree!
The only exception would be for someone whose car does maybe less than 5000 km a year ...
Of course you should invest in rims for the tyres too - then if necessary you can change them yourself.
PS:
I'm sure that others here have had similar experiences. usually winters are not that cold but sometimes it gets lousy (up to minus 25 celsius) and 30 cm or half a meter of snow overnight ...