Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

A Simple, Straightforward UK Bank Account?

A Simple, Straightforward UK Bank Account?

Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

male1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura about
Default A Simple, Straightforward UK Bank Account?

Hi all,

I asked a question related to this post ages ago (before I even moved to Hungary), but I'd like to ask it in a different way...

Is there a simple, straightforward UK bank account that can be opened for UK Expats who have moved to Hungary? Every account I look at presumes that you are a multi-millionaire wanting to just protect your tax position! But I am just an average guy with an average wage (still working for a UK company by the way) so it's normal wages and not thousands and thousands of pounds I am talking about.

I still have my Halifax bank account in the UK and have been using it fine until this week when they have deleted my payment link to Hungary (it was just saved details on my account where I could send money to my Hungarian fiance's bank account whenever I received my pay in the UK). The Halifax seem to allow me to save those details again but it stops me halfway and says that they will phone me for security questions. I am fearful that they will judge that I cannot keep my bank account open with them (but I may be wrong!).

So, I am just asking if there is another UK bank that I could turn to "if" the Halifax are planning to close my account when they ask me these "security questions"!

Thank you once again.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:57 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Simple, Straightforward UK Bank Account?

Originally Posted by male1963
Hi all,

I asked a question related to this post ages ago (before I even moved to Hungary), but I'd like to ask it in a different way...

Is there a simple, straightforward UK bank account that can be opened for UK Expats who have moved to Hungary? Every account I look at presumes that you are a multi-millionaire wanting to just protect your tax position! But I am just an average guy with an average wage (still working for a UK company by the way) so it's normal wages and not thousands and thousands of pounds I am talking about.

I still have my Halifax bank account in the UK and have been using it fine until this week when they have deleted my payment link to Hungary (it was just saved details on my account where I could send money to my Hungarian fiance's bank account whenever I received my pay in the UK). The Halifax seem to allow me to save those details again but it stops me halfway and says that they will phone me for security questions. I am fearful that they will judge that I cannot keep my bank account open with them (but I may be wrong!).

So, I am just asking if there is another UK bank that I could turn to "if" the Halifax are planning to close my account when they ask me these "security questions"!

Thank you once again.
Any normal current account should be fine, I have never closed my uk current account and use it from abroad all the time.

I think you might find it's cheaper actually banking from the Uk than paying the charges the Hungarian banks like to make, I certainly do.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

male1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Any normal current account should be fine, I have never closed my uk current account and use it from abroad all the time.

I think you might find it's cheaper actually banking from the Uk than paying the charges the Hungarian banks like to make, I certainly do.
Thanks for your reply. I am hoping that the phone call the Halifax wish to make is just a 'routine' thing then!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by male1963
Hi all,

Thank you once again.
UK banks will (thankfully) look suspiciously at regular transactions abroad if you have not notified them, it is the same with credit card transactions abroad - all you have to do is inform them when you are abroad and which countries you may be using your cards in.
Otherwise you can keep your UK bank account.
Have not yet found a Hungarian account, including online, that will not charge
Your UK credit card may be a useful item to have in Hungary - usually a favourable exchange rate, although some still require your signature and pin number. You can use it at most supermarkets too including LIDL which you can't do in the UK!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OGSG
UK banks will (thankfully) look suspiciously at regular transactions abroad if you have not notified them, it is the same with credit card transactions abroad - all you have to do is inform them when you are abroad and which countries you may be using your cards in.
Otherwise you can keep your UK bank account.
Have not yet found a Hungarian account, including online, that will not charge
Your UK credit card may be a useful item to have in Hungary - usually a favourable exchange rate, although some still require your signature and pin number. You can use it at most supermarkets too including LIDL which you can't do in the UK!
Thanks for the update!

I can see that money laundering regulations are the BIG reason for such precautions. Its just tricky for genuine expats sometimes though! When I have a chat with the Halifax I will explain the situation but I'm sure I did this a few months ago to be honest!

Thank you
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:03 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, you might have to do it a couple of times a year - I do. The worst of it is when they decide your account has suffered from fraudulent behaviour and block your card just before you reach the checkout in Tesco's and then you have to spend 10 minutes in Tesco's carpark confirming, to someone in India, that yes it is you using your card in Hungary and you have a trolley full of shopping to pay for

Just explain you have a holiday home here (or similar) and as such, spend a lot of time in Hungary. They usually ask you to stipulate a date for when you expect to return. With my bank, you can update this information online. Even still, mine likes to give me a call every 6 months just to confirm things are okay.
If you inform them that you no longer live in the UK, I believe, the account has to be closed - could be wrong though.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi, you might have to do it a couple of times a year - I do. The worst of it is when they decide your account has suffered from fraudulent behaviour and block your card just before you reach the checkout in Tesco's and then you have to spend 10 minutes in Tesco's carpark confirming, to someone in India, that yes it is you using your card in Hungary and you have a trolley full of shopping to pay for

Just explain you have a holiday home here (or similar) and as such, spend a lot of time in Hungary. They usually ask you to stipulate a date for when you expect to return. With my bank, you can update this information online. Even still, mine likes to give me a call every 6 months just to confirm things are okay.
If you inform them that you no longer live in the UK, I believe, the account has to be closed - could be wrong though.
I believe that you are correct that if you say that you'll never return to the UK then your account will be closed. It's tricky coming up with constant stories to convince them that you'll return to the UK when you know you won't be! lol
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

and block your card just before you reach the checkout in Tesco's and then you have to spend 10 minutes in Tesco's carpark confirming, to someone in India,

Had that experience

Your account doesn't have to be closed
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I am suprised it would work out cheaper to use a UK card, but then I suppose it depends on exchange rate and charges.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:54 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, My UK bank has all my overseas addresses and I always tell them where I am living when I'm there. If you don't, the problem you will have is, buying stuff can be a problem as the address you give has to match the one on the card you are using.

Last edited by anonimouse; Sep 29th 2011 at 6:02 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I am suprised it would work out cheaper to use a UK card, but then I suppose it depends on exchange rate and charges.
I think, but not 100% sure that every transaction at the cash point in Hungary is 3% from your UK card, watch the cost of Hungarian banks though, you may have to be picked up off the pavement.

Last edited by anonimouse; Sep 29th 2011 at 6:03 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I think, but not 100% sure that every transaction at the cash point in Hungary is 3% from your UK card, watch the cost of Hungarian banks though, you may have to be picked up off the pavement.
Yes - been caught out by the Hungarian Bank charges - but if you have 5 products with them and a certain income its free - or some such malarkey. The amount of time I have spent at the bank sorting stuff out is quite outrageous!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:03 pm

Yes - been caught out by the Hungarian Bank charges - but if you have 5 products with them and a certain income its free - or some such malarkey. The amount of time I have spent at the bank sorting stuff out is quite outrageous!
My Hungarian bank charges (Erste) were regularly 60 Euros a month. One reason I am not there now.

Last edited by anonimouse; Sep 29th 2011 at 6:06 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

I have an account with Raiffeisen Bank, for which I am charged 345 Huf per calendar month.

Shotgun.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

NOT debit card but credit card, then it depends on your UK bank what they charge but I remember hearing that Brussels are getting involved to reduce these charges across the EU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.