Shutters

Old May 8th 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shutters

We have had a recommendation to have motorised shutters as our windows are big. Anyone had experience of these, are they reliable?
Thanks
Old May 9th 2013, 9:05 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shutters

Originally Posted by cathyg
We have had a recommendation to have motorised shutters as our windows are big. Anyone had experience of these, are they reliable?
Thanks
How big are your windows Cathy?
Old May 10th 2013, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I've not seen them in Hungary but saw some when I stopped at a house in Luxembourg. These were a sort of cross between normal shutters and venetian blinds so they were more versatile. The family I stayed with had the house built to their own specification, including these shutters. They were very pleased with them. If you like I could email them and ask about the make etc.
Old May 10th 2013, 6:23 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I've not seen them in Hungary but saw some when I stopped at a house in Luxembourg. These were a sort of cross between normal shutters and venetian blinds so they were more versatile. The family I stayed with had the house built to their own specification, including these shutters. They were very pleased with them. If you like I could email them and ask about the make etc.
They sell them in Hungary but depending on the size, they might be an unnecessary expense.
Old May 10th 2013, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Friends of ours here have them and as far as I know are pleased with them, but like Rural said, they might be an unnecessary expense.
Old May 10th 2013, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I have the modern plastic shutters on the 2 front facing windows and the old wooden type on one side window. Although the wooden one is hard work to raise and lower, it is more reliable than the plastic ones, as the slats are fixed together with strips of canvas and spring steel. The plastic slats are free to slide from side to side when rolled up so sometimes they are not lined up with the side rails and they won't come down. I therefore have to open the window and slide the displaced slats back in line.
Old May 11th 2013, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is so much the size as the number of windows you have that is important.
It soon becomes an onerious task pulling up and letting down shutters.
motorized ones can be arranged so one switch or one remote control can operate however many you wish to move at once.

I would think it is therefore also possible to set them on a timer to open and close, giving the impression the house is occupied when in fact it may not be.

They are definetly available here, I have posey friends with them fitted.
Old May 11th 2013, 11:29 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by duztee
I don't think it is so much the size as the number of windows you have that is important.
It soon becomes an onerious task pulling up and letting down shutters.
No more so than opening and closing curtains everyday
Depending on the price Cathy, it might be worth taking the option on the larger windows, a wall switch with programmer should only add about £100 to each shutter.
Old May 11th 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. We have three windows approx 189cm by 140 cm and one window 123cm wide by 140cm high. We have been quoted 220000fts excl vat for the four which I thought was pretty good for remote control aluminium shutters.
The main Problem was the weight of the shutters and also not much room around the current upvc windows to fit pulleys etc.
P.S. trying not to be posey!! But if we can get a good deal then why not
Old May 11th 2013, 2:02 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by cathyg
Thanks everyone. We have three windows approx 189cm by 140 cm and one window 123cm wide by 140cm high. We have been quoted 220000fts excl vat for the four which I thought was pretty good for remote control aluminium shutters.
The main Problem was the weight of the shutters and also not much room around the current upvc windows to fit pulleys etc.
P.S. trying not to be posey!! But if we can get a good deal then why not
Hi Cathy, if that's for the Somfy motor and installation then that's a good price and worth getting them done. I had envisaged 3x2 windows and you straining to pull the cord up in the mornings.
Old May 12th 2013, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

At that size I would go with motors, I think that weight of shutter will be quite a strain on a single cord.