Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Running costs holiday home

Running costs holiday home

Old Oct 3rd 2018, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running costs holiday home

Very good hints already but something really important I'd like to add:
If you're away for most of the year (or even for just one month in winter) you'll need a reliable person to regularly look after the house, especially the heating in winter!
Also other stuff like cutting the grass - and the weeds!
If you don't do that often the village will do it and send you an invoice!

Another point is the classification of the house - is it just declared a "summer house" or a real "living quarter", fulfilling all the definitions. This also depends on the location - outside of the village you often can't get residence papers (important if you want to live there all year later).
The whole stuff is really complicated -you should look for an expert who knows all the rules/laws and can help you.

Even in our prosperous village near Hévíz some houses are not connected to the gas line, no chance ...
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

davidcarne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella, thats really helpful. I'll look into the constantly circulating system, that sounds sensible.

Wolfi Thanks for your advice also. We would ideally want a property that can be lived in later, so looking for something labelled residential not summer or rural.

If anyone has recommendations in the Balaton or nearby area for someone to keep and eye on the house or an expert to assist with the purchasing and management process, I'd love to hear those recommendations.

Have to say this forum is brilliant, some really good advice here.

David
Old Oct 4th 2018, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know how good or bad this person is (seems okay from what I have read on the internet), but his website could be of help:

Properties in Hungary
Old Oct 5th 2018, 7:11 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by davidcarne
Thanks Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella, thats really helpful. I'll look into the constantly circulating system, that sounds sensible.
David
I think most Hungary central heating systems will have circulating pumps to make the water constantly circulating in the pipes, UK house has similar, I mean these pumps https://www.prestigepumps.co.uk/grun...CABEgKATfD_BwE

We have 3 of the Grundfos ones in Hungary (slightly different Thermo Boss but same idea in UK), had to replace one LY but that only failed after 20+ years, they are pretty reliable.

They are electric, so even if the gas boiler failed/ tripped off, the electric pumps carry on working. Our village has (typically) monthly power outages, usually very quick but sometimes a couple of hours (is this common elsewhere?) - but the electrics just switch themselves back on when the power comes back.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

olscouser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Add a garden service for the communal part or winter service, pavement, if you are not aroung. Typically a neighbour can help.

Cheers
Tony