Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

backtobasics is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

congrats on that mate. Most of the property buying procedure has so far been straight forward and indeed very much common sense rules.

My only gripe as it were is trying to source a straight answer of how to get residency status in Hungary, even an official at the embassy could'nt give me the run down.

I know that under EU we can stay for protracted period of time but it is my understanding that we need actual residency in order to retire there/stay over 12 months or to register a car in Hungary to obtain in country insurance etc. Can anyone give me the real facts as I don't want to take a car from the uk then have to pay uk greencard insurance prices nor would I wish to break the in country rules/laws. In 2 years I want to live quietly with my wife in that lovely Tanya by that friendly village, watch my veg grow, pursue joint interests and pursuits with my wife while enjoying the health benefits of the local thermal spa.

I thank you all for reading and welcome all advice and help.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Mustin is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just had this reply from FlyBalaton regarding the flights between Stansted and Sarmellek/Balaton:

"Unfortunately at the moment we can’t provide you any particular information on the Balaton - London Stansted flight. We are expecting the finally decision for the beginning of October. If the schedule is still not available at that time probably Ryanair decided to suspend the flight for the winter"

Wait and see then guys.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Stansted flights - that's the reply we had from a rather embarassed RyanAir official at the Balaton airport when we flew to the UK a few weeks ago, even he didn't know and it's his job on the line as well
I just know we are missing out on all the special offers at present on the site.
Here's hoping otherwise to Stansted it's Easyjet to Berlin then RyanAir to Stansted!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

We are flying over in October (not sure we can get back to the UK yet!) to sort out a property, we hope, can anyone please advise on any self-catering accommodation (2 adults, one 3 yr old) in the Keszthely area e.g. Gyenesdias or even Vonyarcvashegy where we are hoping to buy?
Thanks, OSA
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

a suggestion as based upon my post regards our trip for completion in Sept where we're staying in chalet on a camp site, great deal with shower, electric & gas included in price full cooking facilities sleep up to 4 with chalets accom up to 6 adults. Obviously the one we're using is not feasible for your area but there are campsites the area you're going and I'm sure some will have simular chalet options.

Here is a link that I found for camp sites near Balaton and area you're looking

http://www.balatontourist.hu/balaton/kempingek.php

Hope this might help.

john
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

welshjohny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notalab
..... The weather. Last Winter was mild with little snow and the lake remained ice free, followed by a very hot Summer. This Winter saw a few weeks of Snow on the ground over Christmas, the Lake froze over with the usual winter sports/activities taking place but it has been almost temperate and dry for the last few weeks so guess Winter is over.
[I've dug my garden over in the last two weeks ready for planting to give you an idea].

I will post answers to any questions asked [if I know the answers of course]
but am away 14th to 19th.
Regards......
hi we have bought a house in balatonfenyves,and would like some information about winters in balaton hungary?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

Cannot really add much to my previous ref the weather. This summer has been long, dry and fairly hot. It has been mostly dull and some rain for the last 2 weeks. A good indicator of what the weather will be like for the next 7 days is to 'google' in "falling rain" and put your village/town location in. Found it to be pretty accurate. Have just bought and installed an 8kw wood burning stove to augment the gas central heating. The price of prepped logs per cube metre tends to vary between vendors and at what time of the season bought. Currently buying at 11500Huf but no doubt will increase as the season progresses. Winter tyres are required from about October until March [I think it's the law but have no difinitive answer on this but no doubt someone on this thread will know]. Off grape picking on Saturday and looking forward to a couple of bottles from it later in the year. Enough random thoughts for now.......
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Hi All,

We're back from our week long stay to finalise on our house purchase and am glad to report that it all went very well, I highly recommend these guys at www.hungarianandslovakianhouses.com as they did cover everything for us and kept us updated and made the whole process so very easy and often went the extra mile to help us out.

Weather: (our location being East of Balaton nearer to Tisafured)
Night time rain and thunder twice, one day some showers, temp ranged 14c to 26c. Yesterday before leaving for the airport we went to 'our new garden' (in the woods!) and sat in T-shirts very warm whilst watching, Common buzzards, a sparrow hawk, Black Red starts and other great sights ''all from our own back yard'', both of us not wanting to leave.

Next year will be the start of minor renovation Concrete floors in the house for one!
John
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

(notalab)
Can you give me any details of suppliers of 'Arga' style wood burning stove/ovens in Hungary? I've looked at Obi and some local stores but they only seem to have heater type wood burners.

Many thanks
john
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Regards tyre law in Hungary

Regards the mention of winter tyres by Notalab this is the information that I've found:

From 15 November to 15 March and outside these dates during winter weather conditions (e.g. snow, black ice, etc.) all cars and vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes must have winter equipment, i.e. winter tyres on all four wheels, or summer tyres on all four wheels, and carry snow chains. In both cases, the minimum tyre tread depth must be 3mm.

This is a straight copy/paste from some tyre legislation site I found via google.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks
john
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Notalab
Cannot really add much to my previous ref the weather. This summer has been long, dry and fairly hot. It has been mostly dull and some rain for the last 2 weeks. A good indicator of what the weather will be like for the next 7 days is to 'google' in "falling rain" and put your village/town location in. Found it to be pretty accurate. Have just bought and installed an 8kw wood burning stove to augment the gas central heating. The price of prepped logs per cube metre tends to vary between vendors and at what time of the season bought. Currently buying at 11500Huf but no doubt will increase as the season progresses. Winter tyres are required from about October until March [I think it's the law but have no difinitive answer on this but no doubt someone on this thread will know]. Off grape picking on Saturday and looking forward to a couple of bottles from it later in the year. Enough random thoughts for now.......
Thanks for your information.We will be in balatonfenyves on october the 16th
for a week to work on the house,can anyone tell me were we can buy some second hand bikes in this area.thanks johny
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, We are coming over on Oct 21 for 5 days or so to look at a potential property and meet with mortgage agents etc. and are looking for self-catering accommodation possibly in Vonyarcvashegy where we want to buy - as it's "out of season" the campsite/ chalet accommodation that was suggested to us in this thread is not available - does anyone have any tips/ suggestions please? Thanks!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

hi sorry dont know the area ,but if you google hotels or accomadation or lake balaton hungary you should be able tofind something.Be aware that allthough most people are honest and reliable not everyone is we had a bad exsperience with an agent from casa mia and have heard of other people having bad times with other agents. we dealt with christian at canella ce ltd web address propertyatbalaton.com we found him to be professional honest and helpfull.hope this has been helpfull good luck with your search balaton is a wonderfull place and the hungarian people are friendly and helpfull
Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

canuktraveller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mustin
In light of Ryanair announcing that they will be cancelling many winter flights in 2008, has anybody heard if Stansted to Balaton/Sarmellek is one of these? It's just that I was talking to a local Hungarian today and he seems to think that this route will close between October and March. I seriously hope not, as this will really mess up my plans.

Anybody got any info..??

Hi, I have just booked November flight with Ryanair from Stansted via Duesseldorf while the promotion was on. Quite a wait in DUS with the wednesday flights but not so bad on Sunday. Trouble is you can't get back in one day. I did Easyjet to Budapest in the summer and then took the Nagykanisza train from Deli station to Balatonszentgyorgy. Keszthely is then one stop on a little local train. The journey was a little slow but got me there. I will probably do that for the return if no direct flights show up in the next couple of days
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Default Facebook

Mod - If I am not allowed to do this I apologise and please delete this post but I wanted to start a group "Balaton Brits" forum for those who use Facebook.

I know there is a group itself in the area by the same name that also meet regularly. I'm just not sure who to contact so as to join this group.
Here's the website address anyway: <Snip, Steve you are not allowed to post promotional urls, but you can put your site address in your signature, then everytime you post people will see it, see rule 18 for more info>
It's in the starting stages, no ID photo either yet.
See you there, as well as here of course - an invaluable forum!
Steve

Last edited by jdr; Oct 6th 2008 at 4:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.