Reload this Page >

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

backtobasics is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property in Somogyszentpál

Originally Posted by KathrynTerry
any help would be appreciated. It's not that the builder was no good, his work is excellent and he's really nice but the language barrier is just too great and we can't get things sorted out and the agency (an estate agency) says they'll help but really just gets in the way.
Hi Kathryn,
So sorry to hear of your mums probs.
I was lucky as my estate agents gave me good advice on tradesmen, same advice as others have stated here in replies which does not help I know, but I can only hope that things will work out for you.

For those still considering buying in Hungary may I just mention what I did to avoid problems.
. obtain good estate agent
. Check out/visit the area/village that property is located before commiting
. Try and find someone in the area who can understand English. (The village we considered had a camp site so we stayed there for a few nights and built up a relationship with one of the secretaries who speaks english. We befriended her and she is now our Hungarian translator and organiser of tasks in our absence.)
Use locally recommended builders, (our estate agent had a list of customers willing to be contacted for passing on this information and more)

hope this helps
warm regards
John
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As they seem to be with many airports recently
But there are alternatives e.g. if you prefer Stansted flights to Bratislava then transfer to Györ in Hungary (about an hour) and take a car from Fox Autorent who have very good deals.

Another member of this forum can give good tips for Luton to Budapest, then also a car from Fox Autorent or bus from there.

OSA
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

[QUOTE=backtobasics;7235535]hi Trajan,
Might I also recommend the 'estate agent' that I found, they have a good selection of houses on their books, the prices are inclusive of fees etc

The estate agent should NOT, I repeat NOT, take any fees from you! The seller pays these costs. YOU pay the solicitor's costs (only one solicitor is involved). We paid 1% of the cost of the house.

One thing to watch out for the horrendous cost of stamp duty!

Hope this helps too!
Steve
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

trajan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BtoB and OSA, your thoughts much appreciated. Heartening to hear that us Brits are welcome. Checked out the estate agent and language site John, both look good. Found another called "byki" which has merit too.
See what you mean about stamp duty Steve....6% + outbuildings? Ouch!
Still amazing value though. What was your property site Steve?
Sorry for the delayed reply, been shoveling snow for a week. Ironic really, its been warmer in Hungary.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Mustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the latest on Fly Balaton airport (copied link this time MitzyBoy and not cut and pasted!)

http://www.realdeal.hu/20090206/fly-...e-for-survival
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:30 am
Just Joined

trajan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mustin
Here's the latest on Fly Balaton airport (copied link this time MitzyBoy and not cut and pasted!)

http://www.realdeal.hu/20090206/fly-...e-for-survival
Not looking very promising is it?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by trajan
Not looking very promising is it?
But various alternatives if you aren't relying on Stansted.

RyanAir ;-( Birmingham have a "new" route" ´to Bratislava.

Then there's EJ Luton to Budapest, then a bus/ rail route down to the Balaton.

Or we should start an ex-pats pick up service!

Steve
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:29 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dixieflyer
My husband and I are considering retirement in Hungary next year,just wondering if there are any members already out there,or who have visited,who could share experiences with us,we understand it can get very cold in the winter?warm in summer and are also wondering which area best to look for property first,the north side or south of the lake?
I am UK citizen with house near Balaon who wants to retire out there. Would like to chat with somone about getting a Residents permit. Have you any email addresses of brit expats in Balaton area

Thanks

John
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:35 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notalab
Hi, my wife and I live at the Western end of Lake Balaton. We know about 50 Brits who live here around the lake and have a get together once a month to exchange information and have a bit of a 'social'.
Hi Notalab

Can you give me contacts for some of the 20 people from UK who now live round Balaton. I am to retire there & would like to chatwith some uk people who have already done it.

Regards

John ([email protected])
Old Feb 16th 2009, 12:40 pm
Veszprém Megye

Experienced UK people living in Hungary may be able to help?

I understand that to get residents permit to live in Hungary I need to show that I have arranged private health insurance ( I am 53, and not of retiring age, therfore Form E121 will not do the trick -yet)

Does anyone know an insurance provider in Hungary please

Regards

John
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

John, Sorry for the delay, just been back to the UK and still catching up with emails etc., will email you asap.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Mustin is an unknown quantity at this point

With the continuing uncertainty over Fly Balaton airport in Sarmellek, if you’re in need of alternative arrangements getting to the lake from the UK, I have been flying from Luton to Budapest as both EasyJet and Wizzair have regular flights. There are a number of public transport options to get to the lake from Ferihegy airport, but I’m in the lucky position of having a Hungarian brother-in-law that works as a taxi driver in Budapest! I can obviously recommend him, he is both reliable and trustworthy. So, if anybody would like to get a taxi ride from the airport direct to your destination at the lake or surrounding areas, or even if you need lifts around Budapest, then feel free to send me a message through the website and I can get in contact with him to arrange this for you and to agree a fee.

Thanks for reading
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Thanks for the info Mustin.....
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mustin
With the continuing uncertainty over Fly Balaton airport in Sarmellek, if you’re in need of alternative arrangements getting to the lake from the UK, I have been flying from Luton to Budapest as both EasyJet and Wizzair have regular flights.
And if you need to get to Stansted rather than Luton there are National Express buses between these airports at very reasonable prices.
And to London there's Stelios's Easybus.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sill no information about resumption of flights from Balaton [SOB] except that there was an article in a Hungarian newspaper about flighs tresuming on april 4th but no details as to whom or where too.
Scuttlebutt rumor is that Thompson scheduled may be coming.

If anyone hears any news ref flights then please give this thread a 'heads up'

Regards, Notalab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.