Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement to lake balaton Hungary

Originally Posted by stromnessdundee
Ryanair are not commencing flights to Lake Balaton in 2009. Sorry guys. They seem to have had a dispute (again) with the Airport.
As they seem to be with many airports recently
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

trajan is an unknown quantity at this point

Szia! everyone,
Just registered, having lapped up all the posts on this thread.
I'm what is now commonly known as an old git (apparently) who had pretty much decided on retiring to 2 years time to France.
Now, with uk property in free fall and the Pound/Euro exchange devalued by 30% (allied to the same fall in pension value), I have been forced to rethink.
By chance, a young guy from Tapolca, N of Balaton joined our team at work a year ago. His friendliness, impeccable manners and capacity for hard work have been a revelation. His wife, children and his visiting in-laws are all delightful people.
In two years he has become fluent in English. In 3 months my strangled Hungarian is pathetic
Stories of his homeland and recommended web sites have given me a privileged window of hope for an alternative place to hang my hat when the time comes.
Plan A is a short visit at Easter if Balaton airport is open, followed by a proper 3 week holiday with wheels to really explore.
I really appreciate all the help and advice that you people have put up (notalab must be chained to the keyboard!), it really is invaluable stuff.
Just one question to end with (for now).
What general thoughts on learning the language and how are Brits viewed as incoming residents by the locals?
Ok, I admit it, thats two questions!
Koszonom es Jo ejszakat.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Easter flights or even summer flights

Don't hold your breath on Easter flights - we did in October and nothing happened ;-(

Well, with the MotoGP coming to the area in September RyanAir better get their act sorted out otherwise they'll lose business.

BTW Fox Autorent offer a transfer from Bratislawa airport if you are going to hire a car from them.

Of course if you are not tied to Stansted there are flights from Luton & Gatwick to Budapest with the orange ones!

Then again you could always drive the 1700 km!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that OSA.
Don't think my car would make it with 128,000 miles on the clock already!
Train looks a possible alternative but a tad complicated and probably more expensive.
My Hungarian pal reckons they might open one of the disused military airfields south of the lake at some time in the future. Guess that won't happen this side of Easter!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Off to Budapest this coming weekend, cant wait, the spas are a-beckoning.

re questions on flights does anyone know what is happening with flights from Bristol. Only flights on Wednesdays and Sundays seem to be available at the moment for the summer timetable. Bit worried!!!

Also we are planning to go to the Balaton Sound festival this year and wondered if anyone has heard any rumours of who might be on the lineup.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Cathy xx
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Balaton Airport

I thought Ryanair owned the airport at Balaton so how could they have fallen out with them?????
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default RyanAir flights to Balaton

Originally Posted by cathyg
Re: Balaton Airport

I thought Ryanair owned the airport at Balaton so how could they have fallen out with them?????
I was told yesterday that "Ryanair are having a meeting here at Balaton sometime this month. May take over airport and I think they are back in spring but no timetable up yet" so maybe there's hope yet
On the RyanAir website it is noted as a "new" route from March 31 BUT not possible to book anything.

Watch this space I suppose!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:16 am
Just Joined

KathrynTerry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. Just found this website and read through all the posts. I wonder if anyone can help or suggest anywhere I might find help. My mother bought a property just south of Lake Balaton last spring (Smogyszentpaul if anyone knows it). Bit of a derelict dump. The estate agents said they could arrange the renovation and she/we (probably foolishly) trusted them. My mum handed over £20k and they've done less than half the work agreed and want more money. We went over and tried to sort things out directly with the builder but they don't speak English and we don't speak Hungarian or German so the estate agents got involved again and they stopped all work.

Doesn't look like we're ever going to get this house done unless we can find an English speaking builder and one who will communicate so that we can send money as it is needed.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks for reading - Kathryn
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Default Property in Somogyszentpál

Originally Posted by KathrynTerry
Hi there. Just found this website and read through all the posts. I wonder if anyone can help or suggest anywhere I might find help. My mother bought a property just south of Lake Balaton last spring (Smogyszentpaul if anyone knows it). Bit of a derelict dump. The estate agents said they could arrange the renovation and she/we (probably foolishly) trusted them. My mum handed over £20k and they've done less than half the work agreed and want more money. We went over and tried to sort things out directly with the builder but they don't speak English and we don't speak Hungarian or German so the estate agents got involved again and they stopped all work.

Doesn't look like we're ever going to get this house done unless we can find an English speaking builder and one who will communicate so that we can send money as it is needed.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks for reading - Kathryn
Do stick with the Hungarian builders.
If you get no response here, PM me and I'll see if I can put you in touch with someone who could point you in the right direction who is not in this forum.
Steve
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kathryn,
Oh what a mess !
Talked to my Hungarian pal today about your mum's problem.
His advice... NEVER take on a "tradesman" unless personally recommended.
The good news is that I can get you a reliable contact with some English speaking input by Thursday (I'm going to meet up Weds evening for a meal and his wife's uncle is a reputable builder).
I'll get back to you with some details asap. unless you get something sorted out in the meantime.
Regards
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kathryn,
I'm so sorry but my builder contact is apparently too far from your Mother's village to be of any help, so it comes back to local recommendation.
I do hope you succeed in sorting it out.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by trajan
Hi Kathryn,
I'm so sorry but my builder contact is apparently too far from your Mother's village to be of any help, so it comes back to local recommendation.
I do hope you succeed in sorting it out.
thanks for trying, much appreciated.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Property in Somogyszentpál

Originally Posted by OSA
Do stick with the Hungarian builders.
If you get no response here, PM me and I'll see if I can put you in touch with someone who could point you in the right direction who is not in this forum.
Steve
any help would be appreciated. It's not that the builder was no good, his work is excellent and he's really nice but the language barrier is just too great and we can't get things sorted out and the agency (an estate agency) says they'll help but really just gets in the way.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Mustin is an unknown quantity at this point

See the comments in the news story, the Fly Balaton saga goes on....

http://www.realdeal.hu/20090129/work...vilian-airport
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

backtobasics is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trajan
Szia! everyone,
Just registered, having lapped up all the posts on this thread.
I'm what is now commonly known as an old git (apparently) who had pretty much decided on retiring to 2 years time to France.
Now, with uk property in free fall and the Pound/Euro exchange devalued by 30% (allied to the same fall in pension value), I have been forced to rethink.
By chance, a young guy from Tapolca, N of Balaton joined our team at work a year ago. His friendliness, impeccable manners and capacity for hard work have been a revelation. His wife, children and his visiting in-laws are all delightful people.
In two years he has become fluent in English. In 3 months my strangled Hungarian is pathetic
Stories of his homeland and recommended web sites have given me a privileged window of hope for an alternative place to hang my hat when the time comes.
Plan A is a short visit at Easter if Balaton airport is open, followed by a proper 3 week holiday with wheels to really explore.
I really appreciate all the help and advice that you people have put up (notalab must be chained to the keyboard!), it really is invaluable stuff.
Just one question to end with (for now).
What general thoughts on learning the language and how are Brits viewed as incoming residents by the locals?
Ok, I admit it, thats two questions!
Koszonom es Jo ejszakat.
hi Trajan,
Hungary is a great place, we're looking to retire there in due course.

regards the locals view on us Brits, it's very positive, we bought a lovely place in a nice village with the right amount of ammenities etc and the locals are vocal in their pride that Brits have chosen their village to buy a home!!

Language: I have 2 self learn courses the best of them for conversation is the one created for diplomats, I'll look up the details but I do remember it was reasonably priced at $19 with whole course including manual available for download. Google will bring loads of hits for both paid & free of charge courses you may like to try this one for a test: http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...hungarian.html

Might I also recommend the 'estate agent' that I found, they have a good selection of houses on their books, the prices are inclusive of fees etc they're knowledgable and they are extremley friendly and helpful. They've continued to help & answer any of my queries even after the sale was completed. They can be found online at www.hungarianandslovakianhouses.com

Hungary has lots to explore with fantastic birdlife including some exotic species, (my wife & I are keen on nature and birdwatching).

I've only flown to Hungary once as I prefer the drive, my old car has 120,000 miles on the clock but I'll be driving it over again in April this year.

I hope this has been helpful.
warm regards john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.