Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Residency Card and travel

Residency Card and travel

Old Jul 27th 2023, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Residency Card and travel

Hi, further to losing and reapplying for all my Hungarian cards and life, I have been at the Immigration office getting a replacement for my Permanent biometric Residency card.
Now, I have to be in the UK for a family funeral on the 10th of August which I found out about on the weekend so a very quick turnaround. There is not many of my family left so I would really like to make it (will only be me for the family here in Hungary).

I have had the residency since 2021 and have my Hungarian ID card etc. I have the Certificate of Application from the Immigration Office (in Hungarian) and have been told that the new card should arrive within the next week.

Can I risk planning an booking travel? I have already cleared emergency time off with my employer. If it comes to it is this Certificate of Application for renewal alongside all the Hungarian ID card, Address Card etc enough? I know the UK border don't care and the last time I think it was only the Swiss as I transferred through Zurich who were interested. I will be transferring through Germany most likely this time so not leaving Schengen. Actually before I boarded the plane to go to Manchester they were only looking at boarding cards and passports. No-one asked for it in Budapest coming or going.....

So, as usual all these things are a bit woolly. Anyone any ideas?
Old Jul 27th 2023, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency Card and travel

I can't guarantee it but as I see it as soon as you are in the Schengen area nobody will care or look at your documents when you go from one country to the next.
When we cross the Danube e g into Slovakia by car there are no border checks at all - you don't have to stop your car.
However entering the UK might be a different situation. I read that many people were sent back because they couldn't show UK documents, visa or whatever.
And returning to Schengen from the UK might be similar.
And next year we'll have something like the US ESTA - which you have to pay for, forgot the name.
Old Jul 28th 2023, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

For entering the UK you will need a passport. It doesn't matter whether it is a UK or EU passport. An ID card is not enough !

EU passport holders don't need a visa to enter the UK for short trips.
Old Jul 28th 2023, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
For entering the UK you will need a passport. It doesn't matter whether it is a UK or EU passport. An ID card is not enough !

EU passport holders don't need a visa to enter the UK for short trips.
Have a full UK passport! It is the residency permit that in te advice I read says has to be presented alongside the UK passport? I went to the UK a few months ago and the UK Border was just passport, however in Zurich (not in the EU) I was asked about residency during the transfer process. I will need to change flights in Germany this time and it is not clear what documentation is required, I am resident since 2021 here but as I have not received my replacement physical card I only have a letter/certificate from the Office saying the process is in progress.

I have to take decisions very soon as flights and accomodation are filling up. It is the Edinburgh Festival as well to compound matters.

Yes I can feel that stress build up again.
Old Jul 28th 2023, 10:35 am
Just Joined

farka is an unknown quantity at this point

As a side note...
Originally Posted by wolfi
And next year we'll have something like the US ESTA - which you have to pay for, forgot the name...
Hi wolfi - it (ETIAS) doesn't apply to this category:

Screenshot from :
https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etia...hould-apply_en

Old Jul 28th 2023, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Have a full UK passport! It is the residency permit that in te advice I read says has to be presented alongside the UK passport?
As it stands at the moment, the only real purpose of showing the residency permit as well as a UK passport when returning to EU country of residence is that your UK passport shouldn't be stamped although it still gets stamped sometimes depending on how up to speed the immigration officer is on the guidelines ....
Old Jul 28th 2023, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting how many dont know about Schengen border control.
Schengen is not EU specific, any state can be member, as is Switzerland, Iceland, etc.
Old Jul 28th 2023, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Still a border post though. In Zurich when you transfer between the different terminals for flights you get a Passport check. Same in Germany. I wasn't asked anything outside of the Passport at Budapest even though my final destination was the UK.
Old Jul 28th 2023, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Farka.
As I understand it as a UK citizen you have to apply for a residency permit in any case.
A bit OT:
One of my sisters has been married to an Englishman for more than 40 years now and the whole family has two passports each - just in case.
Whenever they traveled around the world they used to optimize, using the "better" passport for a country.
Old Jul 28th 2023, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have the residency sorted years ago. It is just the physical card (replacement for a lost one) might not make it in time for when I would ned to travel. I have a letter to confirm it is applied for from the office. I have all my other Hungarian cards including the ID Card for foreigners I got when I completed the Permanent Residency. So, the problem is all this enough alongside my UK passport to be able to go to the UK and come back to Hungary without issue?
Old Jul 28th 2023, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

farka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jetsam1
...I have the residency sorted I have a letter to confirm it is applied for from the office...
Then I would go for it - book those tickets a.s.a.p. The worst that could happen is you will get an unnecessary stamp in your passport. I read somewhere on the EU website that if you are a beneficiary of The Withdrawal Agreement any entry/exit stamp you collect will be irrelevant as ETIAS will not apply.
HTH
Old Jul 28th 2023, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have gone ahead. I have only travelled outside Hungary once in the last 4 years so I don't have much experience of the new rules etc!
Old Aug 5th 2023, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, the card hasn't made it. So off to the airport on Tuesday morning and see what happens! I am sure that with the Letter (even in Hungarian) and my biometric Hungarian ID Card plus address card etc should be ok. Can't have the ID card without being resident.......