Register My UK Car In Hungary.

Register My UK Car In Hungary.

Old May 7th 2022, 6:19 am
AAD
Just Joined

AAD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Register My UK Car In Hungary.

Morning,
First of all i am half Hungarian by birth and can speak the language, and i own properties here in Tolna and Borsod Abaúj Zemplén, and i am now officially Hungarian / British. I have been coming here since 1970 as a baby.
My main issue is, i know all the dodgy dealings which go on here, regards to cars.
I am based in Borsod county, so struggling to find any MOT station or buisness to register my car.
There is a couple in Budapest, but how reliable and legit they are, i have no idea.
I will need.
Tax, Insurance and
MOT.
The cost driving back to the UK and back is a waste of time for a MOT and will actually be illegal due to living here, my life now is here, no matter how difficult life can be compared to the UK.
​​​Also how quickly have you had to wait for your car to be registered, a day or week.
I have a old Hungarian Renault Mégane 25 year old for every day driving, you know the roads in the
countryside.
My car is a Mercedes which is just, too much a good car to get rid of.
I have this week removed my UK private registration number plate, because i do not want to lose it.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Attila.

Last edited by AAD; May 7th 2022 at 6:23 am.
Old May 7th 2022, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Register My UK Car In Hungary.

Are you sure that you'll be able to register it here now?
I've heard lots of stories of UK cars not being able to be registered post Brexit.
Old May 7th 2022, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

It can still be done as far as I know ... my UK registered car has been sat in the garden for a couple of years now and it will stay there for the time being as it's too expensive to drive it back to the UK just for an MOT. I was going to get it re-registered previously, bought a set of lhd headlights and was ready to take it to Zalaegerszeg for the test and the re-registration process which would have cost, all in, about £325 but I never actually got around to doing it. As far as I can gather, it is still an option but now import duty will have to be paid on top of the re-registration fee which makes no financial sense to do. I will have to either drive it back to the UK and either sell it or try and sell it here to someone planning to go and live in the UK ... or sell it to someone from Romania as they are known to buy anything on wheels !! I never did figure out why the price of re-registration was so high, it's pennies in comparison for an EU car to be re-registered in the UK ... I can understand that the Hungarian government do not want Hungary flooded with cheap old foreign cars but one for personal use imported by a resident on the understanding it can't be sold on here for X amount of years ?? !
Old May 7th 2022, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

My car was registered in France and imported into Hungary by the company I bought it from. They had it MOT'd and re-registered in my name with new Hungarian number plates. Cost me 200 000 HUF in total and was done at my local government office. They also notified the Insurance company who'd insured my old car. who sent me a quote for the new one, which I accepted.

Whether it will be the same with a non EU vehicle though I really couldn't say but maybe worth enquiring in your local town. The whole process took about 3 days.

Last edited by Sachina; May 7th 2022 at 9:09 am.
Old May 7th 2022, 11:04 am
AAD
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies, yes it can be done no problem.
Nobody around Borsod county will do it. I completely begrudge buying a similar car here in Hungary due to how expensive cars are here, old cars are fine for a run around to buy for anything below say £3000, but my Mercedes is a E350cdi AMG Sport estate fully loaded, yes it would fetch good money here. My UK MOT ran out last December, mine to has been in the garage here doing nothing, but i need my car to travel from Borsod to my other property in Tolna, plus i still drive back and forth to UK and travel Europe alot in general.
I have contacted 2 places to register my car, both in Budapest, everything here is such a slow process.
I worked it out around £1000 pound for my car to be done. I never wanted to go down this route with my car, I always went back to Nottingham to where i am from originally to Service and MOT my car, but because of Brexit then the bloody Covid, everything has hit me hard.
I have spoke to that many people even in Debrecen, most big cities, it's so difficult.
I am desperate now due to my other property, I have had to give my house keys to a reliable lorry driver who is a builder to do my bathroom and meet the plumber's, gas, people at the house. I have had people working for me and stealing off my property, i was livid.
and all so called respectable
Self employed people, problem they never new i do YouTube and recorded everything at the property. Nobody i can trust anymore. So i have to get my car done.😕
Old May 7th 2022, 12:11 pm
AAD
Just Joined

I am actually wondering why now, why nobody does get back to me.
I do think it is the import duty, especially how it goes by the value of the car.
Looks like if this is the problem. I will have to drive back to UK also to sell my car on.
I will see what the cost will be first.

Old May 7th 2022, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

It also depends upon how the valuation of the car is arrived at ... is it based upon the value of it in the UK or the valuation of what an identical model in Hungary sells for ... as my particular car sells in Hungary for roughly three times what it sells in the UK for !
Old May 7th 2022, 10:30 pm
AAD
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
It also depends upon how the valuation of the car is arrived at ... is it based upon the value of it in the UK or the valuation of what an identical model in Hungary sells for ... as my particular car sells in Hungary for roughly three times what it sells in the UK for !
Very true, luxury cars out here are very expensive compared to UK, I have always owned performance cars in the past, same cars here are double the price.
I will see what the VAM is this week, I read it could be up to 40% then 65% absolutely ridiculous if that is true, I love my car because i have owned it since it was 3 years old , it is on 180,000miles and never missed a beat, always had new parts fitted, I have every service, MOT , parts paperwork from new. It has every extra including pan roof. Definitely do not want to let it go.
Old May 9th 2022, 8:28 am
AAD
Just Joined

News on my car, it has to go back to UK, Euro 5 cars are not allowed to be registered in Hungary and i actually think it is all over Europe and UK if you take or bring a car which is not Euro 6 onwards.
So i will have to sell a good car in UK to buy a cheaper one here. Because of the tax duty also it is not worth it.
So i am done with luxury cars, not worth it here in Hungary..ayou need a tank for most roads, I hit 3 big holes even on the M3 Motorway and my car tire keeps losing air, I know my AMG rim is cracked..Had enough now, why i gave my life up in UK to live here is beyond me.
Never been so ill and depressed. But all my Hungarian family said your British do not live or move to Hungary.
It's full of problems.
Old May 11th 2022, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AAD
why i gave my life up in UK to live here is beyond me.
Never been so ill and depressed. But all my Hungarian family said your British do not live or move to Hungary.
It's full of problems.
You wouldn't be saying that if you had to pay UK gas and electricity prices, that have put 25% of the UK into poverty. Another 32% increase due in October. Cost of living in the UK is going to become unsustainable for around 1/3rd of the country.
I really hope that life can't be that bad for you in Hungary that you would rather be in the UK, that makes me sad
Old May 11th 2022, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

I am interested in this thread as I was planning on bringing my cars here with me (As UK cars are much much cheaper than identical cars in Hungary from what I have seen)

I've looked at everything that is available on the subject in google and it was my understanding that firstly Euro 4 and above are accepted (yet you say it needs to be Euro 6 in your post above)

Then for registration tax, I found this :-

https://regisztraciosado.hu/

says that my petrol car would be 78,000 huf and my diesel 36,075huf

Additionally everything says that you can bring your car(s) import duty free as part of your personal belongings allowance.

I am concerned that the information on the internet and the reality you experienced do not match.

Can anyone find anything documented in writing that shows the Euro 6 requirement and details of the import duty required?

Many thanks
Old May 11th 2022, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

I've looked at everything that is available on the subject in google and it was my understanding that firstly Euro 4 and above are accepted (yet you say it needs to be Euro 6 in your post above)

When I was looking in 2019BC, I was advised at the testing station that Euro 4 was fine to be re-registered so unless the rules have been updated, I would think that may still be the case.
I think that the import duty for a car imported from the UK was not applicable prior to the end of the Brexit transition period but is now as the UK is classed as a third country, no longer EU ...

Old May 11th 2022, 3:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Are you sure that you'll be able to register it here now?
I've heard lots of stories of UK cars not being able to be registered post Brexit.
There's a lot of BS rumors post-Brexit. Brexit with respect to EU countries placed the UK on the same level as other non-EU countries; Brexit did not suddenly make an objective impossible just because the person or object came from the UK if the same objective would be achievable for someone/thing from Morocco, Turkey, Ukraine, Australia, Canada, USA, etc.
Old May 11th 2022, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xavierx
I am interested in this thread as I was planning on bringing my cars here with me (As UK cars are much much cheaper than identical cars in Hungary from what I have seen)
Don't forget that if you import your UK cars into Hungary and assuming they are right hand drive they will be virtually unsaleable here (other than for spares) down the line when you want to change cars.
Old May 11th 2022, 6:38 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest obstacle to importing any car into Hungary is obviously how much do you really want to import the vehicle and is it really worth spending that much money, finding a place that knows the regulations to make your vehicle legal and the availability of parts to make any required lighting changes etc. If the vehicle is RHD as Peter in Hungary stated you will likely never be able to trade or sell it unless the buyer is returning home to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.