Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Recent legislation Affecting Property Purchase in Hungary ?

Recent legislation Affecting Property Purchase in Hungary ?

Old Feb 24th 2015, 3:11 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent legislation Affecting Property Purchase in Hungary ?

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
As far as I know you can only gift land to defined close relatives. So you can't gift land to non-relatives to avoid the land laws or tax.

Also whilst 'locals' have a pre-emptive rights there is a hierarchy of locals. Family farms, livestock holdings, those farming adjacent to the land in question and so on. So even if you are resident in the local village this does not guarantee you won't get trumped.

There seems to be a trick emerging whereby the price declared for advertising is ridiculously high, which will put off anyone higher on the priority list stepping in. The actual deal is done at the lower agreed price. This probably has its dangers and is only of value if the seller cares about who he sells the land to. (otherwise how often does the seller care who gives them the money for their land?)
You're probably right Peter as I know you can't gift inner area properties unless you are a close relative and if the receiver of the gift is under 18 years of age, it is held "in trust" but I wasn't sure if it was the same for outer area.

Yes, don't think that's worth the risk as the it's easy to confirm the actual amount paid and opens up all sorts of repercussions. We have heard of the opposite happening as well, seller under declaring the value when advertising for tax purposes - very risky !!!
Old Mar 10th 2015, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last Post. ref: Download new land Laws new Act 15-12-2013 & Amendment 2014 To members a translate document relating to the Law, now that I have complied to all sections of the new Land Laws to Foreigner's no one can place a argument that I have posted items, not knowing the present Land Laws and the proses from Start to Finish as of 9-3-2015 completed a successful purchase, I will not add to this post and any further comments or take part in any debates digger47
Old Mar 10th 2015, 6:59 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digger47
Last Post. ref: Download new land Laws new Act 15-12-2013 & Amendment 2014 To members a translate document relating to the Law, now that I have complied to all sections of the new Land Laws to Foreigner's no one can place a argument that I have posted items, not knowing the present Land Laws and the proses from Start to Finish as of 9-3-2015 completed a successful purchase, I will not add to this post and any further comments or take part in any debates digger47
Digger, has somebody upset you? I'm sure if they have it wasn't intentional as we all value your input.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

could anyone explain the gifting of property to me please.
can a house in a village be purchased and then gifted to my son without needing to be held for 4 years?
does the house get gifted for 0ft and what would that do to the tax on a resale further down the line?
Old Mar 11th 2015, 11:27 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Is your son under 18?
Old Mar 11th 2015, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Is your son under 18?
hi rural no eldest is 25 and resides in UK
Old Mar 11th 2015, 1:06 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

as we all value your input.[/QUOTE]

agreed
Old Mar 11th 2015, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

No I not leaving at all just giving the chance for others to have the Land Law Documents downloaded to them selves. but now I have to 2 Plots 3,000m2 new build in June to start and sadly the "C" is back so flight back to uk when oncology calls digger47
Old Mar 11th 2015, 3:25 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

No I not leaving at all just giving the chance for others to have the Land Law Documents downloaded to them selves. but now I have to 2 Plots 3,000m2 new build in June to start and sadly the "C" is back so flight back to uk when oncology calls digger47
Oh Digger, I am so sorry to hear that and hope all goes well for you, email me if there's anything I can do for you and keep in touch.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 11:56 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by heli2010
hi rural no eldest is 25 and resides in UK
Sorry, didn't see your reply as others had posted by the time I came back to it

Don't take this as fact and best check with a legal expert but as far as I am aware - no tax is paid on gifting, on resale the usual transfer tax is paid on any profit. Profit is calculated using the value of the property at the time of gifting and the sale value. Personal income tax is payable on the sale value (this, I assume, helps prevent gifting as a means to avoid paying property tax) though with the seller being UK resident I guess they would have to declare and pay this in the UK.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

jeromej is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm trying to purchase a piece of land with house on agricultural ground. The object belongs to a bankrupt KFT with debts. We have rented the place the last few decades (leasehold) and our local legal experts is exploring ways to buy the object.

Having counselled a local legal representative, researching and reading all the information available on the internet the last 6 months I was getting desperate. It seemed that there would no progress or a solution in the near future.

I was daydreaming and wandering on sites about expats and jobs in Hungary and stumbled upon this forum. All the input on this thread is good additional information and you guys seem to be further than I was. I'm especially interested in the latest (translated) information available (the new land Laws new Act 15-12-2013 & Amendment 2014). Digger47 is referring to a download, but I cannot find the link.

Could somebody guide me to the documents? Your help will be appreciated.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:35 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I'm assuming there is no restriction on the sale of the property and so the debts shouldn't make any difference as your solicitor will deal with any liens when exchanging contracts. Is it the amount of land that is an issue as unless you fit certain farming criteria, you can only purchase 10,000 sqm.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeromej
I'm trying to purchase a piece of land with house on agricultural ground. The object belongs to a bankrupt KFT with debts. We have rented the place the last few decades (leasehold) and our local legal experts is exploring ways to buy the object.

Having counselled a local legal representative, researching and reading all the information available on the internet the last 6 months I was getting desperate. It seemed that there would no progress or a solution in the near future.

I was daydreaming and wandering on sites about expats and jobs in Hungary and stumbled upon this forum. All the input on this thread is good additional information and you guys seem to be further than I was. I'm especially interested in the latest (translated) information available (the new land Laws new Act 15-12-2013 & Amendment 2014). Digger47 is referring to a download, but I cannot find the link.

Could somebody guide me to the documents? Your help will be appreciated.
I have the Document and I was to download to Members But Being Thick Northerner tried to download a letter would not Work ,So If you wish I can Post one to yourself send PM and sort it out.. look as I was do to leave to start work on my plots but B rain again can gut up the hills to grape fields digger47
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:03 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I have the Document and I was to download to Members But Being Thick Northerner tried to download a letter would not Work ,So If you wish I can Post one to yourself send PM and sort it out.. look as I was do to leave to start work on my plots but B rain again can gut up the hills to grape fields digger47
Digger, do you want to email it to me and I'll post it for you?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

jeromej is an unknown quantity at this point

The amount is not the problem.

I've been told that because the KFT is bankrupt their is no seller & their because there is a debt, therefore the sell is delegated to a governmental assigned institue. So there is not a owner to buy from.

We have been told that the 'for sale' will be published 60 days by the institue and the property will be sold by a closed enveloppe procedure. Additionally, because it's agricultural ground the 'locals' have a pre-emptive rights.

So, although we have rented for decades (the ownership would lapse to the renters according to former laws) now everybody can buy the property and locals will have the pre-emptive rights... We are exploring ways around this situation the keep 'our' house in the family.

Although we use legal experts I would like to have a clear understanding of the new law. Therefore I hope somebody can guide me to the document Digger47 is referring to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.