Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Pros and cons of Lidl

Pros and cons of Lidl

Old Mar 23rd 2020, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pros and cons of Lidl

Just for a break from 24/7 Covid-19 I thought I'd post about something different. Lidl. My recent positive and negative experiences.
I've bought quite a few power tools from them over the years, mainly because of the 3 year guarantee. The quality seems ok for home use and I can't afford Makita etc anyway.
Several weeks ago I got round to phoning their service centre to report my 18 month old circular saw which had stopped working. I think the motor had burnt out. The operator spoke very good English, arranged a courier to collect the saw and the day after collection a new one was sent out. Fantastic service! Then I had to call about my 20v cordless drill which had almost given up the ghost, only working intermittently. This time I had to wait about a week for collection and about 5 days for replacement but still, fantastic service, with a new drill but original battery sent out.
Now for the frustrating part... When shopping in Lidl I usually walk in and grad an empty box and fill that with my purchases. I don't often buy more than a box full as I shop regularly as the store is across the road from where I work. Using a box is convenient for keeping the items together when I put them in the car. However, on a recent trip I got to the checkout and was informed that customers are no longer allowed to take the empty boxes. Fortunately, I also had a trolley to put my purchases in but once I got to the car they had to be stored loose on the rear seat. I was really angry at the checkout and even phoned customer services on returning home. Apparently, it's policy not to allow customers to take empty cardboard boxes but many stores don't mind. What I don't understand, and no-one could explain, is why the sudden change. Obviously, I'll continue to shop there but will have to remember to take a box or shopping bag with me in future.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros and cons of Lidl

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
..... Apparently, it's policy not to allow customers to take empty cardboard boxes but many stores don't mind. What I don't understand, and no-one could explain, is why the sudden change. .....
Change of manager/ existing manager briefed on company policy/ employees trained on company policy?
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Re cardboard boxes:
We also get a box or two to put our stuff in when buying at the Lidl. Sometimes I ask salespeople before I take a box out of their "garbage cage" and they've always said. No problem!
Maybe it depends on the location?
Went shopping this morning - no problem.

PS and OT:
In Germany this is also different from one chain to the other, the Lidl, Aldi and Real stores we visit say it's ok - the Kaufland says no. One guy explained that too many people would put their stuff in their cars and then leave the boxes in the parking site for the workers to collect ...
Old Mar 24th 2020, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to get one of those foldable plastic boxes or fabric foldable boxes. My sister-in-law uses the latter for her shopping and stopping other stuff in the boot shifting about at every corner!
Old Mar 24th 2020, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I've got one, it's in the wife's car
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a lidl surprised Lidl sell such good stuff
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'm a lidl surprised Lidl sell such good stuff

Would you like me to pass you your coat?
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Would you like me to pass you your coat?
Hey, I know you're angling for a lidl tip!
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

With the favourable exchange rate at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if you're all off to Lidl to top up your rations.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
With the favourable exchange rate at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if you're all off to Lidl to top up your rations.
Bolting a boltba!
Old Apr 1st 2020, 1:36 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I soon expect to see rising prices for everything if the exchange rates keep escalating. It makes our money go further for now but soon it will lead to everything rising in cost and hurting our Hungarian neighbors whom are always strapped for money to do anything as it is. But for now we should take advantage of this opportunity to make our money go a little further.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I soon expect to see rising prices for everything if the exchange rates keep escalating. It makes our money go further for now but soon it will lead to everything rising in cost and hurting our Hungarian neighbors whom are always strapped for money to do anything as it is. But for now we should take advantage of this opportunity to make our money go a little further.
To be honest when I've viewed properties in Hungary I've been finding it a little difficult to think of reducing the price of the property because compared to UK I could get alot more in terms of value for money. My primary aim for moving to Hungary is so I can stretch my NHS and other private pensions further and enjoy a very good standard of living which I had before I retired! Until I paid off my mortgage I've always been cash poor but asset rich. I'm sure many British Ex-pats know the feeling. I've never owned a brand new car, never been to exotic locations for holidays, so I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from. I'm sure some British Ex-pats onn this forum have something in common with me ..... I lived on a council housing estate and my parents were the poorest of all their siblings on both my father's and mother's side! I never went to univeristy because it wasn't an option.
I better stop here. Getting a bit emotional! But I will be glad once I'm in Hungary with my wife and Archie, our dog!
Old Apr 1st 2020, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Yes, against the Euro now up over 360. Next question is, will this crisis prove inflationary or deflationary in the mid / long term. The only mitigation to inflation us expats can achieve is to spend, spend, spend!
Old Apr 1st 2020, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Just out...

. The forint started strengthening after a historic low on Wednesday following the central bank’s announcement of a tender for one-week deposits. The forint stood at 364.64 against the euro at 3.30pm after a historic low of 369.63 before 3pm. On the first day of trading this year, the forint was at 331.11 against the euro.

Read more at: https://dailynewshungary.com/forint-...-announcement/