Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Plaster on UPVC window frames

Plaster on UPVC window frames

Old Dec 15th 2021, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plaster on UPVC window frames

Had new upvc Windows installed, then a guy came to plaster round some of the frames. Unfortunately, seemed he has been bit messy as there's a bit too many bits of plaster which I think the plasterer should have wiped off before he finished.
We've two options: tell the guy to come back and rectify it or do it myself. We think he got a bit sloppy because he wasn't well. Planned to come here the next day but still hadn't recovered so came back two days after. He really didn't look well enough to work. Rather not ask him to come back.
If I try remove the plaster myself what do I need to doing? I've a paint scraper but that includes a razor ...so worried about damaging the upvc frame. Would it be better to use a wall paper scraper?
Old Dec 15th 2021, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plaster on UPVC window frames

I used an artist's palette knife to clean off tape & plaster off our windows, as below but (NB) the one second from left with the rounded leading edge. No scratches!

Old Dec 15th 2021, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Had new upvc Windows installed, then a guy came to plaster round some of the frames. Unfortunately, seemed he has been bit messy as there's a bit too many bits of plaster which I think the plasterer should have wiped off before he finished.
We've two options: tell the guy to come back and rectify it or do it myself. We think he got a bit sloppy because he wasn't well. Planned to come here the next day but still hadn't recovered so came back two days after. He really didn't look well enough to work. Rather not ask him to come back.
If I try remove the plaster myself what do I need to doing? I've a paint scraper but that includes a razor ...so worried about damaging the upvc frame. Would it be better to use a wall paper scraper?

Soapy warm water and a cloth should so the trick. You could also try tapping the larger pieces of plaster with the back of a scrapper to see if the plaster will crack off.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
Soapy warm water and a cloth should so the trick. You could also try tapping the larger pieces of plaster with the back of a scrapper to see if the plaster will crack off.
Thanks, will try both. The tapping method first then soapy water after. I did try the prior yesterday but didn't seem to budge so will try again.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, will try both. The tapping method first then soapy water after. I did try the prior yesterday but didn't seem to budge so will try again.
Also, WD40, applied upfront can help!
Old Dec 15th 2021, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Also, WD40, applied upfront can help!
We got some WD40 we bought in UK so will try that too. Some plaster is in awkward places like between hinge and wall, my fingers are too fat for that so might dab a bit on an old toothbrush.
Old Dec 16th 2021, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

We got some WD40 we bought in UK so will try that too. Some plaster is in awkward places like between hinge and wall, my fingers are too fat for that so might dab a bit on an old toothbrush.
DON'T use WD40 or any chemicals on PVC window frames because it can cause damage!

https://www.everest.co.uk/double-gla...f%20the%20uPVC.

Can you clean uPVC with white spirit?

Don't use white spirits, methylated spirits or WD40 to clean uPVC frames or doors. It will permanently damage the surface of the uPVC.

Old Dec 16th 2021, 8:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sachina
DON'T use WD40 or any chemicals on PVC window frames because it can cause damage!

https://www.everest.co.uk/double-gla...f%20the%20uPVC.

Can you clean uPVC with white spirit?

Don't use white spirits, methylated spirits or WD40 to clean uPVC frames or doors. It will permanently damage the surface of the uPVC.
Ours are perfectly ok!
Old Dec 16th 2021, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

If it's the same plaster as in UK (can you even get this in Hungary - I struggled a few years ago when I wanted the equivalent of multi-finish), then hot water and elbow grease is all you need.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Haven't got round to getting the plaster off! Hopefully will roll up my sleeves next year and get cracking on it.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haven't got round to getting the plaster off! Hopefully will roll up my sleeves next year and get cracking on it.
The longer you leave it the more difficult it'll be to remove it.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Eerkkkk! Been difficult because we been quite busy since.