Reload this Page >

Pension Contributions

Pension Contributions

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

shaun83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pension Contributions

Hi there,

I lived in Budapest for two years, but have been back in the UK for a year now.

After leaving Hungary, I sent back my tax returns and got a refund for some of it having left half way through the tax year.

However, I was wondering recently about pension contributions too. I read that personal pension contributions are 8.5%, which is quite a bit over a couple of years, and I obviously won't be eligible for a Hungarian pension after only that length of time. Does anyone know if it's possible to claim this back?

Regards,
Shaun
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hayles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pension Contributions

What type of scheme did you pay into? Was it set up via the company you were employed by, a personal scheme or was it deductions paid to the state i.e. similar to National Insurance Contributions?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

shaun83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It was paid to the state as far as I'm aware. I didn't set up any private pension.

It's on my pay slips as "nyugdíjjárulék (TB) rendszeres".
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hayles is an unknown quantity at this point

If they are state contributions you may not get them back. You may however be entitled to a small pension from the Hungarian government.

It would be worth checking with HMRC to see if there is any credit in the UK for the contributions paid in Hungary. Try 0845 915 4811 if they can't help they may point you in the right direction.

Ideally your Hungarian employer should be able to tell you what, if anything, you are entitled to. Can you e mail them?