Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Passport - you have to carry at all times

Passport - you have to carry at all times

Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport - you have to carry at all times

The only document I carry on me is my driving licence in my wallet but there's lots of occasions when I take no ID ... that's usually when I am out and about with the in-laws. I have been out and about with local friends from Malyi & Miskolc for past 5 days and not once had any ID with me. Maybe it's cos I dress like a native Hungarian! I've travelled to quite a few European countries and not once did I carry my passport with me if I could leave it safely at my accomodation! Only when I have hired a car did I carry my driving licence but not passport! Never been stopped but then I'm probably not a road hog like errmmm .....!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you're not referring to me I'm like "driving miss daisy" on the roads It's only ever light problems I can stopped for, no lights, broken lights and any other light issue you care to think of. That said, I did once get stopped in Buzsak - they have regular police patrols round there - that was for no reason at all and I assumed that as it was lunch time, they were hoping to have lunch on me
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I had to show my passport and ALL driving documents at the border crossing into Croatia, even though it is now an EU country.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:19 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I had to show my passport and ALL driving documents at the border crossing into Croatia, even though it is now an EU country.
I've never shown any drivers documents at border control - only my passport. I wonder if they have misunderstood the change on joining the EU - tighten up security instead of freeing up movement We did think it would be a wile before the border actually stops functioning, as soon as it does, fish market here I come - no more 5kg limit at the border
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It might be years before they join the Schengen zone, if Bulgaria and Romania are anything to go by. It was the Hungarian side that asked for the car documents, the Croatian side just wanted passport. It was the Gola crossing at a ridiculously early time so they probably don't see many people to harass.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:31 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It might be years before they join the Schengen zone, if Bulgaria and Romania are anything to go by. It was the Hungarian side that asked for the car documents, the Croatian side just wanted passport. It was the Gola crossing at a ridiculously early time so they probably don't see many people to harass.
No, don't tell me that Fib, I'm already dreaming of a steady supply of prawns, salmon, cod, lobster, tuna and other tasty morsels....
Is the Gola crossing the one usually used by the trucks?
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hope you're not referring to me I'm like "driving miss daisy" on the roads It's only ever light problems I can stopped for, no lights, broken lights and any other light issue you care to think of. That said, I did once get stopped in Buzsak - they have regular police patrols round there - that was for no reason at all and I assumed that as it was lunch time, they were hoping to have lunch on me
LOL
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:02 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Does that mean it was me Have you been talking to folk
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I thought Fen was hinting at me driving around with undue haste!
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Update to this thread
I had my driving licence renewed today (reason expired medical) and asked if the licence could substitute for the ID card, I was told that it does for Hungarians, but not for me as I am a foreigner. This is despite the fact that I have an Hungarian ID card (coloured green rather than blue like real Hungarians) so I guess all of you will have to continue carrying your (dog-eared) UK passports if you want to avoid the occasional fund raising fines.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Ten years is nothing ... I've been carrying mine with me for the past 30 years (which tells you how geriatic I am)!

When we first arrived in South Africa, decades ago, all our passports were stolen from the boot of the car and when I went to the British Consulate in Jo'burg to collect my new one I got hauled in front of the Consul and given a lecture about how Her Majesty wasn't amused with people who were negligent with their British Passports and how, if it happened again HM would have to consider whether I was a fit enough person to be given another one!

Until a couple of years ago I frequently got stopped at road blocks either locally or on the main road to Miskolc. I've never been fined or even cautioned and most of the time the police were more interested in practicing their English. The local patrol car knows me now because my little dog sits on the rear window ledge and I've been told I'm know as the English woman with the parrot in the back
Old Dec 13th 2013, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Requirement for ID is a standard throughout Europe - as it was in Britain from 1940 to 1951. I still have my Uk National Registration Card !

Moral is when in Magyarorszag, do as the Magyars ! Have valid ID on you at all times !
Old Dec 31st 2013, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Today I have spoken to the Traffic Police in Keszthely Police Station
asking if you need to carry your passport whilst driving. They said to me providing you have a Hungarian
Licence and you are a Legal Hungarian Resident with all the correct paperwork then definitely no you do not need to carry your passport with you. Just thought I would let people know to save carrying it with you
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:11 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by klarika
Just thought I would let people know to save carrying it with you
Problem is, most Brits have UK licenses.
Would be better if there was a uniform EU id card.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

As I stated previously only of you have Hungarian Licence and are a legal resident with correct paper work you do not need to carry passport.
If you have UK licence then yes you still need to carry passport with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.