Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Passport, Travel query.

Passport, Travel query.

Old Jan 14th 2023, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport, Travel query.

We usually go to Croatia and Slovenia a few times each summer.
The new ruling says I must use the 'All Passport' gate not the EU one, this I understand.
But the Border crossing is a motorway, so how is this going to work if I am travelling in a vehicle with 3 Hungarian nationals?
Do we go in the EU lane and just present my Residency Card? and hope they don't ask for passport.
Do all of us have to use the very long and exceedingly slow All Passport lane?
Information websites are really good at black and white situations but never cover gray areas, so anyone want to hazard a guess at the correct solution. (taking into account that Hungarian Border Control officials are probably the most miserable uncooperative obstructive creatures on the planet)

(Slovenia doesn't actually count since there is no Border Control)
Old Jan 14th 2023, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport, Travel query.

Good question ... and very difficult to get information on some of these permutations ... much like the new visa system that is being brought in later this year ! If a UK national has a residency permit in Hungary, will they need the new visa ? I'm assuming for now that no visa will be needed to enter Hungary but will be needed to enter any other EU country !!
Old Jan 14th 2023, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

farka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by duztee
We usually go to Croatia and Slovenia a few times each summer.
The new ruling says I must use the 'All Passport' gate not the EU one, this I understand.
But the Border crossing is a motorway, so how is this going to work if I am travelling in a vehicle with 3 Hungarian nationals?
Do we go in the EU lane and just present my Residency Card? and hope they don't ask for passport.
Do all of us have to use the very long and exceedingly slow All Passport lane?
Information websites are really good at black and white situations but never cover gray areas, so anyone want to hazard a guess at the correct solution. (taking into account that Hungarian Border Control officials are probably the most miserable uncooperative obstructive creatures on the planet)

(Slovenia doesn't actually count since there is no Border Control)
This from the EU website:

Depending on national law, border guards may stamp your passport when entering and exiting your country of residence. This practice does not serve any real purpose as the 90-day stay limitation does not apply to beneficiaries of the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement (including their family members) when travelling to their EU country of residence. However, to prove your residence status and associated rights (i.e. the non-applicability of the 90-day stay limitation in a 180-day period), we advise you to show your national residence documents issued (under the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement) in your EU country of residence when crossing an external Schengen border.

What about when travelling from their EU country of residence....??
===============
Also this from the same page:

In some EU countries, UK nationals were required to apply for a new residence status and were issued with a new Withdrawal Agreement residence document in the form of a biometric residence card. You must carry this document with you when travelling or if you do not yet have this card a certificate of application. We strongly recommend that you and your family members apply for the new biometric residence card even if you reside in an EU country where you did not have to apply for a new residence status, as this card will facilitate travel.

My Hungarian issued card has a different reverse side and without the embedded biometric data RF chip... -I want to go travelling this spring!
Damn those Brexiteers...!

Still, mustn't grumble, at least it's not as bad as the old days when I had to leave the country every 30 days on the 'visa run' and then make sure to report to the local police within 3 days of returning if staying in private accommodation (hotels and pensions were obliged to do the reporting for you...)

Old Jan 14th 2023, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
As of Jan 1st Croatia is part of the Schengen Zone so in theory there should be no border controls between Hungary and Croatia both being Schengen Zone countries. (And as of Jan 1st Croatia also uses the Euro).
So basically Problem has gone away! Thanks.
Old Jan 15th 2023, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully,
But to answer your original question a car with EU and non-EU passport holders would have to go through the all passports gate.
Old Jan 15th 2023, 8:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully,
But to answer your original question a car with EU and non-EU passport holders would have to go through the all passports gate.
Not relevant to this thread Peter, but you appear to have had your account hacked / being used by someone else and making spam posts.

ETA - see web address in signature.
Old Jan 15th 2023, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not relevant to this thread Peter, but you appear to have had your account hacked / being used by someone else and making spam posts.

ETA - see web address in signature.
Thanks, I know and I am in the process of sorting this out
Old Jan 15th 2023, 8:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I know and I am in the process of sorting this out
No worries
Old Jan 19th 2023, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I drove from Croatia to Hungary on Jan 3rd and the barriers were up, although there was still a police vehicle there. This is good news for me as I have 2 motorbikes stored in Hungary that I can now bring through the border. I could not do so before as I don't have registration documents for them.
Old Jan 19th 2023, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I drove from Croatia to Hungary on Jan 3rd and the barriers were up, although there was still a police vehicle there. This is good news for me as I have 2 motorbikes stored in Hungary that I can now bring through the border. I could not do so before as I don't have registration documents for them.
This change to the borders nay not stop the number plate recognition cameras picking up the plates and flagging a problem (unless they are on a trailer and covered up)
Old Jan 19th 2023, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

One does not even have a number plate! It is a BSA that has been off the road since before the V5 computer system started. Yes, they will probably come in the back of a van.
Old Jan 19th 2023, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
One does not even have a number plate! It is a BSA that has been off the road since before the V5 computer system started. Yes, they will probably come in the back of a van.
What sort of BSA - I trust it is something bigger than a bantam !
Old Jan 19th 2023, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

To be honest it is so long since I saw it I can't remember if it is a C15 or a B40. The bikes belonged to another British Expat. in Hungary. The guy in question borrowed money from me and never paid me back. I was supposed to be storing the bikes while he went lorry driving in UK to earn money.