Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Off-topic posts from another thread

Off-topic posts from another thread

Old Dec 20th 2011, 11:16 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice
Default Off-topic posts from another thread

You aint warm or welcoming Rural, you only need to look at your history of posts to anyone who has disagreed with you. Unlike yourself I dont lie to to try and sway the debate. Time to get back on topic, dont you think?

As yet again you have taken a thread off topic and made things personal
Old Dec 21st 2011, 1:22 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU referendum

In case you hadn't realised, I am attempting to refrain from replying to any of your posts and would appreciate it if you afford me the same courtesy. I was more than warm and welcoming to you and your family as I have been to many others on this forum.

I make no apology for my replies with regards to racism, bigotry or the reality of issues concerning relocating to Hungary.

Lies to sway a debate - which debate? Never heard anything so ridiculous and if you intend on making such accusations then back them up.

Off topic, if you are referring to me saying hello to a forum user who has just been through major surgery and only returned to posting, then I despair, I really do
Old Dec 21st 2011, 12:03 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveNLisa
You aint warm or welcoming Rural, you only need to look at your history of posts to anyone who has disagreed with you. Unlike yourself I dont lie to to try and sway the debate. Time to get back on topic, dont you think?

That is just rude.

Rural Hungary does so much to keep this site going it is sad when people feel free to speak this way. I for one will publicly support her when she has to suffer such abuse. I hope her enthusiasm & helpfulness is not altered.

This site is a great help to many with practical advice for those that live or hope to live in Hungary. There are plenty of other sites for expressions of political views - why does this one have to be mucked up.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:53 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary

Lies to sway a debate - which debate? Never heard anything so ridiculous and if you intend on making such accusations then back them up.
Post No.14 in Converting your qualifications;

"Hungarian is one of the hardest languages to learn and many on this forum will testify to that. An example : we have German neighbours who are polyglots, they speak 7 or 8 languages between them and after 10 years neither is fluent in Hungarian, it is they say, the hardest language they have encountered despite living here permanently for 3 years."

However Post No.6 thread 'Learning Hungarian' April 10th 2010

Link:http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=662451

"This I take offence at and would ask why you feel the need to involve my children in your sarcasm? Not that I have to explain myself, but as you have expressed an interest, we actually have a German couple who are wonderful neighbours and friends. They both studied at the Sorbonne and between them are fluent in 7 languages, including Hungarian. "

Not so ridiculous
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
That is just rude.

Rural Hungary does so much to keep this site going it is sad when people feel free to speak this way. I for one will publicly support her when she has to suffer such abuse. I hope her enthusiasm & helpfulness is not altered.

This site is a great help to many with practical advice for those that live or hope to live in Hungary. There are plenty of other sites for expressions of political views - why does this one have to be mucked up.
Not everything is always what it may seem John!

A discussion on the EU is very relevant on an expats site. At all times my posts have remained on the thread to now and at no time have I resorted to calling peoples opinion 'claptrap' etch. Which is really just a reply from someone clearly ill informed and unable to give a reasoned reply to support their opinion.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
That is just rude.

I agree. No one is more helpful than Rural on this forum.

One might not necessarily have to agree with her, but to be so abusive is totally uncalled for.

She has been much more helpful to others here than her abuser, who in my opinion, doesn't bring anything useful to this forum at all.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:06 pm
Banned

I have not abused her, merely stated facts and supported it in my post No44.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Rural, it's not necessary for you to deign to reply to his previous posts, I think we can all see who is 'ill informed'.

I'm not referring to his opinions re the EU, but his posts on other threads on this forum.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:20 pm
Banned

Its all there in black & white, back to topic me thinks
Old Dec 21st 2011, 5:37 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god what a sad individual you are! You have actually sat and trawled all my posts and even cross referenced them - surely to goodness, with 5 children, you have better things to do with your time so close to Xmas. Between them, they are fluent in 7 languages, one is better at Hungarian than the other, as I have previously stated. The one who is more fluent in Hungarian, I would say is fluent, she would not and hence has left Hungary as, along with health issues, her lack of fluency stopped her from obtaining a job at the level for which she is qualified. So no Steve, not a lie and perhaps you ought to ask for clarification before you post such accusations.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 6:04 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Kenny said you have to go and get a life. To trawl through hundreds of posts and find one that states, that at that time, our opinion was that our neighbours were fluent (which they were to us, considering our limited Hungarian) and then for me to post, nearly two years later, having gotten to know them better and learnt that they themselves do not believe they are nor ever will be fluent in the language - then attempt to use this in a libelous accusation and defamation of character is just one step to far.
Should you have anything further to say you have his phone number, phone him.

Everybody can see exactly what you are and this is not just confined to the EU thread. Before your derogatory comments on the Roma thread, did you even stop to consider that some on this forum might be Roma, or have Roma family or friends?????????
Old Dec 21st 2011, 6:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Default Thanks

Thanks Shotgun and John, your support is much appreciated and I am truly sorry that this has even happened on here.
I'm not a liar, never have been, more known for my blunt honestly (which admittedly, I am learning to curb and becoming somewhat more diplomatic).

Can't claim ownership of "aspirational claptrap" either

Family and friends don't agree with everything I say but we discuss and debate and at times agree to disagree. It doesn't need to break down like this and I for one am very uncomfortable with how things are.

Hopefully this is the end of it and I wish you all a very Merry Xmas
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

SteveNLisa,

I only joined this site very recently, and I haven't forgotten that you were the first to welcome me, so assume for a moment that I'm positively disposed towards you, OK?

I've deliberately kept out of the discussions of the EU/Eurozone crisis because if I start, I'll never get any work done. I will say this though: I find the British (i.e. those in the UK) on the whole to be incredibly misinformed on the subject. And reading the British press, that isn't really surprising.

The Daily Telegraph, for example, has been waging an incessant campaign for a year and a half now with almost daily articles trashing the euro. The level of hype and distortion of the facts is breathtaking. For example, one headline a few months ago read "Hysteria sweeps Germany". Well, I went out that day, and in the streets of my large town/small city, I didn't notice any hysteria at all, just business as usual. I made a point of watching the news on ARD, the main state TV channel, that evening; the euro was the fourth item. The fourth.

On another occasion, the Telegraph warned British tourists travelling to the Eurozone that the euro was about to collapse and they could wake up to find the euros in their pockets worthless. It therefore advised them to take US dollars instead, these being accepted anywhere. You have to wonder what the reaction in Britain would be if newspapers in France or Germany announced to visitors to Britain from those countries that the UK was about to split up, Sterling about to collapse, they could suddenly find that the pounds they had bought were worthless, and they should take US dollars with them instead. And I'd love to see them at the checkout in Tesco, trying to pay in US dollars, and explaining why...

Every event in Germany is interpreted as popular rejection of the euro. The elections this year in Baden-Württemberg, for example, a landslide victory for the Greens. The Telegraph's synopsis? A rejection of the euro, of course. But as anyone in Germany will tell you, the reasons were quite different – Stuttgart 21 and the regional government's mishandling of it; Merkel's clownish U-turn on nuclear power. Does the Telegraph actually not know anything about German current affairs, or does it just prefer to ignore the facts? It's one or the other.

And so it has gone on, day after day, for eighteen months. The reason I mention the Telegraph is that I read it (along with a number of other papers) and it's the UK's top-selling broadsheet. It's widely considered a reliable source of news. I grew up on a Telegraph diet as my father always received it, as he still does; I discussed it with my brother earlier this year and he was still of the opinion that it was a "good paper". Sorry, but from here in Germany it looks like Pravda in deepest Soviet times, painting a largely fictitious picture of a foreign country.

Let's not even get started on the Daily Mail; you'd get more reliable European news from the Beano. And then I see the circulation figures, and have to take a deep breath.

Why am I saying all this? Because I think you're seriously deluding yourself about what's really happening in Europe, but don't take it personally: so is most of the UK, misled by the right-wing press and by politicians who are using the Eurozone crisis as a diversion from the UK's own ills which, believe me, are much worse than those of the Eurozone as a whole.

But as I said, I don't want to get into politics here, so feel free to call my opion "claptrap", and we'll leave it at that. This is supposed to be the Hungary forum, so unless we're discussing how developments specifically affect British expats in Hungary, I'd say this isn't the place; the general Europe forum would be more appropriate. And probably not even there, because the "Take it Outside!" forum bears this request: "Please keep all political, religious and other controversial topics in here." I discovered the "Take it Outside!" forum only after I'd joined. (If I'd discovered it before, I'm not sure that I would have. I mean, really? The meat market thing?!) But hey, it's there and that's what it's there for, so why not use it.

As far as RH is concerned: I'm only really here because I found her blog a year or two ago, and I haven't found a comparable blog on moving to Hungary, at least not in English or German. You may have found a couple of posts here where she appeared to contradict herself. I presumed that there was an explanation for this, and I now see that she's posted it. But that aside, come on, this is the Hungary forum, not the Leveson enquiry. Cut her a little slack, would you? Why not just ask for clarification of the facts?

The "pikey" thing: I admit that I still talk about "gypsies". For most of my life, that's been the normal term for them. For years, Ralph Mctell's "The Gypsy" was my favourite song. I don't think it's a big deal, but if they want to be called Roma, I'll call them Roma. But "pikey"?! I have to muster a lot of goodwill not to associate that word with bigotry. I'm not saying you're a bigot; I don't know you. I'm just saying how it looks, to me.

Maybe Steve can say Lisa wrote that, and Lisa Steve, and we can give you both he benefit of the doubt.

I hope I'm not stretching the mods' patience by posting this. Have a nice Christmas, folks.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

Originally Posted by SteveNLisa

I think your post is extremely rude and not at all true, Rural is helpful, welcoming, very informative and warm in sharing her experiences in Hungary which have helped a lot of like minded people, who embrace the european concept, she has never lied, you owe her a huge apology.