Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Non-EU citizens can own a car in Hungary?

Non-EU citizens can own a car in Hungary?

Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

serhat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-EU citizens can own a car in Hungary?

Hi all.

I am in trouble to buy an used car in Hungary. I tried to go land ask to local office in my district but no one speaks English so I couldn’t get a result.

I am not an Europen citizen and currently living and working in Hungary. I wanted to buy a car but I heard that that it might be not possible to obtain a car without per. residance permit or without having Lacksim Kartya(Address card)

Basicly they dont give me Lacksim kartya or per. residance permit because of I am not an EU citizen. What I have an unterm rental contract, temporary residance permit untill December of 2012 and working contract untill December of 2012. Since they don't give this green address card to non-EU citizens they gave me a small white paper with a stamp of immigration office which is written where do i live.

If you know how is the procedure to obtain a car for non-EU citizens or if you heard such a case like this before, I would be so happy to know that can I buy a car in Hungary or not.

Thank you for your all help.

Serhat
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:15 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-EU citizens can own a car in Hungary?

Hi serhat and welcome to the forum. If you need any help just give me a shout.

Somebody might know differently but I would assume that if you have temporary residency, you should be able to purchase a car whilst in Hungary.
You might be best attending the office with a translator - which area are you in?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful