New to Hungary

Old Apr 1st 2014, 9:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Hungary

Originally Posted by Lelawala
I am loving it here and have made great new friends. I have to say I don't know what all the snyping remarks are about and hope they don't colour your view of English people here. It's not my experience and none of the people I have met have made such remarks or described such experiences.
You're extremely lucky then.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Lelawala is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I don't think it is so much to do with luck. I have researched where I could. I have asked advice from more than one person. I have asked for more than one quote for any work. I've checked the previous history of builders and have listened carefully. Builders who agree with every idea you have and a "no problem" approach to every idea may not be the best bet. If I am "extremely lucky" then it follows that the majority of English people moving here have bad experiences and that is not my experience to date. I can only speak as I have found. George no problem with regard to meeting up. I'd be happy to help.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 2:34 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

If I am "extremely lucky" then it follows that the majority of English people moving here have bad experiences and that is not my experience to date. I can only speak as I have found.
In that area, yes, not so other areas.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I am loving it here and have made great new friends. I have to say I don't know what all the snyping remarks are about and hope they don't colour your view of English people here. It's not my experience and none of the people I have met have made such remarks or described such experiences. Best wishes.
I am really pleased you have had a positive experience, and hopefully the OP will be able to meet up with you and have a similar experience However, I am unsure what you mean by 'snyping/sniping? remarks'....the comments I have made have been based on my experience and I only feel it fair to mention to newbies the potential pitfalls that can occur. Hungary, just like anywhere, has its own share of problems...and I believe to paint it as some paradise where everything is rosy would be wrong. I wish someone had of told me what I know now before I came. But I suppose we all have our own journey.

I have researched where I could. I have asked advice from more than one person. I have asked for more than one quote for any work. I've checked the previous history of builders and have listened carefully. Builders who agree with every idea you have and a "no problem" approach to every idea may not be the best bet.
Well done you! It must be quite difficult to check the previous history of builders in a new country and ask all the right question...especially in a foreign language.

I can only speak as I have found
Ditto
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure I see any 'snyping remarks' just people sharing their experiences, just because they do not meet yours doe not mean that they are incorrect. In 6 years I have had just two poor experiences one was with an expat and one with a local, I think that is all in all not too disappointing.

I love it here, 6 years and been back to the UK twice and that is two times too many as far as I am concerned but see nothing in any of the comments that have been made that I would consider to be worthy of calling snyping.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 6:18 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by llareggub
I'm not sure I see any 'snyping remarks' just people sharing their experiences, just because they do not meet yours doe not mean that they are incorrect.
I completely agree llareggub. Sadly, cognitive dissonance is quite prevalent here, thus, some experiences will never be shared.
I have probably heard more than most due to dealing with many Brits, I'm sure if we scaled the two experiences you have heard of by the number of Brits we each regularly interact with, it would be quite a sizable number. It's not nice when people post implying that others are incorrect because it doesn't fit with their experience. All of us on here give freely our time and experience to help others and whilst many posters come and go, we do have a small but genuine core of people on here.
I must say, one thing that has shocked me about some of the expats is how people who are in a position to advise or warn Brits about certain individuals, stick their heads in the sand or actually enable them to continue

When it comes to it, how do any of us know whether GH or LE or indeed any new posters are genuine or trolls or the very people we are talking about - we don't, only time will tell.

Having sat and watched all sorts go on in posts, I am past pointing out when idiots get friends to post rave reviews about them or veiled advertising of services are made or people pop up and post only when it might be financially beneficial to them. Why am I past it, because I am sick of the bashings I get both on and offline because of it. However, when people are at risk of being taken for a ride, you can't just sit there and say nothing.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Apr 2nd 2014 at 6:28 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Lelawala is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear! Conspiracy theories and people being paid to put on an opinion. I'm not surprised only a small core continues. What a disappointment. I'm out of this,
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:14 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Oh dear! Conspiracy theories and people being paid to put on an opinion. I'm not surprised only a small core continues. What a disappointment. I'm out of this,
Who on earth said people are being paid to put on an opinion and you obviously don't frequent forums often if you don't realise trolls and fake posters are part of forum life.
It happens all the time on forums, posters pop up conveniently offering newbies help - in fact, it happens so frequently that the majority of forums have specific rules against it.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:25 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Lelawala, simply out of curiosity, did you buy through an agent?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:56 am
I bite my thumb at thee

I'm not surprised only a small core continues.
Just to neutralise this acidic comment.... It was mentioned on the Slovenian forum that, after the closure of their old forum, few of the posters followed to the new BE forum. To paraphrase the reason given for this "they were mostly folk selling property or with other financial incentives to post on the forum". Fortunately, BE forums are well moderated and those using the forum simply for their own benefit tend not to hang around...... What is left are genuine people, sharing experiences and helping out where they can.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Georgeandhenry is an unknown quantity at this point

Rural, do you live full time in Hungary you seem very unhappy, when we joined the forum we expected to find people who were enjoying their life, but maybe you just have a holiday home like us.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:49 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

You seem very interested in my life and where I live full time - unusual for a newbie....

I wouldn't say unhappy, angry yes.....
Guess it's what happens when you actually have empathy and care about fellow human beings and people who are paying 100% mark up on property sold by immoral agents, people who are told the cesspit in their garden is a well and they will be able to fix it up and use it, people who have work left unfinished then are told they didn't pay for the full job and because there is nothing in writing they don't have a leg to stand on, people who are told to under declare the value of their property when purchasing - despite them running the risk of hefty fines, people being sold property in crime ridden villages and told it's an ideal place for a B&B, people admitting they were fooled by their agent then working for said agent, "friends" of owners doing a runner with keys so that people have to break into their own property, people being told pocket contracts are legal - the list is endless.

But hey, what do I know, I've spent 6 years with my rose coloured specs on and what a wonderful time we have had!
We have several very good friends here in Hungary, they showed just how good when my son was in hospital last year and for that, I will be eternity grateful. There is also a chap on here, I won't name him, who we couldn't have done what we have done or be where we are now without his help and again, I will always, where humanly possible, be there for him. Then there are the regular lot on here, many of them I have never met but I class them as friends. The common factor with most of our friends is that they tend not to bother with many other Brits..... So nobody is saying all Brits should be avoided however, some of them should!

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Apr 3rd 2014 at 10:15 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I am classed as a friend despite never meeting Rural Hungary!

George and Henry - I don't live in Hungary but do have a Hungarian wife and we visit her family every year in the North. Long term we plan to retire there. I regard people on this forum as a safety net for me to check out anything about Hungary and what to look out for. We haven't bought a property yet but hope we get the opportunity to before we move over.

My experiences of Hungary are that most Hungarians and Brits (on this forum) are friendly but you will get a bunch of undesirables who try to take advantage of you. There's always opportunists, who talk the talk, in every country who will try and make a fast buck. We have quite a few friends who work in the black market and it's a way of life for them. It doesn't bother us as long as they know we will respect them if they respect us. They also know if they con us they are out of our life.

My wife's parents have a large plot of land on which they grow alot of vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc. and barter with neighbours for something they don't have,i.e. freshly laid eggs!

Bus drivers I have found to be really rude and ignorant but there's the odd very friendly one who will be more than polite and not get annoyed with you if you cannot speak Hungarian. At bus stations ..... there's no polite British style queueing .... it's push, push and shove to get on ..... also watch your wallet and mobile phone.

If you make friends in Hungary, especially Hungarian, and you invite them over to UK ..... be aware you might have to buy the entire beer stock in Tescos because they need refuelling 24/7. We had visitors recently and they were having whiskey and Guinness at breakfast time!

If there's any advice I could give it would be to not flash your money around. Hungarians are not wealthy by UK standards but they can be very generous if they invite you round for supper, a drink or BBQ.

Last edited by FenTiger; Apr 4th 2014 at 11:52 am.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Me too...she has provided us with invaluable advice and support since we have been here.

I don't understand why people have a go at her for speaking the truth.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Fen? Fen who? Do I even know you

Of course are Nearly four years we've interacted on here Scary how times passes....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.