New to Hungary

Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to Hungary

Sorry, I can not help out in that neck of the woods as I am out in the East...

I personally would suggest doing the work yourself if you can find the time to come over, I found it a little difficult finding reliable help out here when I first moved over almost 6 years ago. Primarily it was a language barrier but also my expectations for the way folk work was governed by my experience both professionally and personally in the UK, my experience over was and still is a little 'different'. Although no I do have a trusted and superb contact who helps out when required

Once you start work, if your experience is anything like ours you will soon be barraged with offers off assistance, maybe do your bathroom and decorating yourself and tip toe into the local work force by getting them to do the boundary the fence?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

gcroft is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and welcome to Hungary.
I don't know what all these comments are about either!
We have lived near Pecs now for a year and it is a total pleasure.
I find that obtaining a good and reliable person(s) to do work for you is no different to doing so in the UK. Set a small and precise task and agree a price for that and then review the work before moving on. I know that this presumes that your first piece of work will be when you are over for a holiday.
We have found that asking at the mayor's office in the village is a perfectly good place to start for any form of work we have needed.
Good luck and enjoy!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:42 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Georgeandhenry
Sorry I am lost by the above posts!
Hi George,

sorry for any confusion and to explain in detail would probably bore you to death.
Suffice to say, there are a few people operating in the area you have bought in who would rip you off. Some of us who have been here for years have watched as time and again people are lied to and cheated, a few of us have spoken out against certain people only to be accused of sour grapes and it is extremely frustrating.
Even on the forum, which is a means of helping people like yourself, there are some who offer nothing to it and yet jump in on posts or post fake "recommendations" when they see a possible financial interest. Again, this is frustrating for those who regularly post simply to help others. As concierge of the forum, I am asked to help new users such as yourself and keep an eye out for advertising posts, spam etc. This isn't always appreciated and you would be shocked at some of the responses I have had from users. People seem to forget we don't get paid to help out here.

As others have said, employ a local for gardening work and ensure it is cut regularly to avoid being fined is ragweed is found growing. Also check whether your village has height regulations as many insist on the grass being under a certain height.
Ask at the mayors office if anybody in the village speaks English and would they be willing to help you. Be careful as everybody is a "master" in Hungary and yet few actually are - try to work with a builder/plumber/carpenter direct and not through a third party as you will pay more. Try to schedule the work for when you are actually at the property.
Obtain a couple of quotes and feel free to post on here and others can tell you whether they sound right.

There are a lot of Brits over here now and the majority of them are genuine, decent people who will help you out, unfortunately, as with everywhere, there are also those who should be avoided. Good luck
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcroft
I don't know what all these comments are about either!

I find that obtaining a good and reliable person(s) to do work for you is no different to doing so in the UK. Set a small and precise task and agree a price for that and then review the work before moving on. I know that this presumes that your first piece of work will be when you are over for a holiday.
We have found that asking at the mayor's office in the village is a perfectly good place to start for any form of work we have needed.
Good luck and enjoy!
Good advice.
I think the comments refer to trying to get work done whilst absent from the site. It is very difficult to impossible to find someone to whom you can say "This is what I want done, I'm going to England now, here's the key I will be back in x months" This won't work!!!
IMO more so than in England you need to be 'an educated customer" i.e.know what you want done, know how it should be done (but some methods are different, but still valid, from the UK) and then watch to see that it is done properly.

With regards to the purchase of property, the sellers / agents are working for the owners of the property for sale. They are not there for the benefit of the buyer! So yes too often places will be talked up and local problems belittled or ignored. Too often buyers take too much on faith from the seller (who has their own agenda) without doing their own research. Of course the language barrier is a big problem.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Georgeandhenry is an unknown quantity at this point

I am now a little worried how will I know who to avoid? At the moment I don't know anyone in the area is it British as well as locals I need to watch out for?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like it doesn't it.
We have not experienced any of this. The local work people we have been recommended by the village have proved reliable but their natural standard might not be what you are expecting. These are rural economies and making do is cost effective for them.
Once you have clearly set out the standard of work and quality of materials you want to use we find that it works.
Agree a price. It probably will be more than a local would pay but is it for the same quality of job?
You don't pay until the work is complete so as long as you were sufficiently clear what you wanted this should be ok.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I am now a little worried how will I know who to avoid? At the moment I don't know anyone in the area is it British as well as locals I need to watch out for?
What size of village have you bought in George?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure you need to be worried as such, you just need to ensure you communicate clearly your expectations, that is difficult if you plan to do it from the UK and you do not speak Hungarian. Add to that there are just as many people here as there are elsewhere who are willing to separate you and your money whilst doing little or no work then you do need to be appropriately cautious. Given that you do not speak the local language and you are not going to be there to oversee the work you will instantly become an ideal target for the less scrupulous folk!

If you can get a local recommendation then start off with a little work and tip toe into it and make sure you are happy with what is being done before you progress onto larger projects. In our experience once you have found a good source of 'labour' then you will stick with them and if they can't do something they will know someone who can and it becomes plain sailing

Good luck, it is fine and dandy out here honestly
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:35 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by gcroft
Sounds like it doesn't it.
We have not experienced any of this.
It's more prevalent around the lakeside, wasn't as bad a few years ago as then it was only one particular agent, now it like a free for all with people I would never have expected involving themselves in suspect dealings or turning a blind eye to things......
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:43 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

It was a private purchase so no agent, we don't have any Hungarian but have a friend who lives in UK that helped us with purchase, what sort of problem might we have with expats? It sounds like you are telling us to beware!
Why not have your friend phone and speak with the mayor or source local trades from the yellow pages, I'm assuming he has already contacted the mayors office to ensure you receive your village tax bill? Who dealt with the utilities for you, did they speak English as perhaps they could help?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

I agree completely with llareggub.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Why not have your friend phone and speak with the mayor or source local trades from the yellow pages, I'm assuming he has already contacted the mayors office to ensure you receive your village tax bill? Who dealt with the utilities for you, did they speak English as perhaps they could help?
Hi rural
Are you living in Hungary? So far we have done nothing as we have only just completed, out at Easter to sort key things
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:24 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi rural
Are you living in Hungary? So far we have done nothing as we have only just completed, out at Easter to sort key things
Hi G&H, just replied to your PM.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Lelawala is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi George. I am new to Hungary. Bought my house a year and a half ago. I'm in your area, not far from Tamasi. My experience with a Hungarian builder and an English speaking, Hungarian project manager has been fantastic. Circumstances changed after I purchased my house and I had to deal with things on my own. However, all the English people in this area have proved invaluable with regard to their advice and support which has gone beyond expectations on many occasions. Yes things are done differently to English builders and you do need to be there as several people have already said. I would be happy to do anything to help. I am loving it here and have made great new friends. I have to say I don't know what all the snyping remarks are about and hope they don't colour your view of English people here. It's not my experience and none of the people I have met have made such remarks or described such experiences. Best wishes.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lelawala
Hi George. I am new to Hungary. Bought my house a year and a half ago. I'm in your area, not far from Tamasi. My experience with a Hungarian builder and an English speaking, Hungarian project manager has been fantastic. Circumstances changed after I purchased my house and I had to deal with things on my own. However, all the English people in this area have proved invaluable with regard to their advice and support which has gone beyond expectations on many occasions. Yes things are done differently to English builders and you do need to be there as several people have already said. I would be happy to do anything to help. I am loving it here and have made great new friends. I have to say I don't know what all the snyping remarks are about and hope they don't colour your view of English people here. It's not my experience and none of the people I have met have made such remarks or described such experiences. Best wishes.
Hi maybe we could meet up if you live close we will out at Easter, and perhaps you could introduce us to other English

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.