New in Hungary

Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:12 am
Just Joined

mg2jc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New in Hungary

Hi Guys
Can anyone provide me with info about what I need to do if I decide to reside in Hungary over 90 days. I have heard that I might need a residence card (Lakcimet Igazolo) and possibly an identity card but I seem to be getting conflicting opinions depending on who I speak to. My purpose for being in the country is to learn the language but unfortunately I do not actually qualify as an official student because my language schools does not have the authority to provide such a status.
I will probably look for teaching work too and for this reason, I want my residency in this country to be legal.
Any tips/advise would be warmly welcome.
Jackie x
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in Hungary

Hi Jackie.
Firstly welcome...........and the best of luck with learning Hungarian, it is commonly accepted to be a very difficult language, probably why only Hungarians speak it!

You do not say if you are from an EU country or not, makes a big difference.
If you are indeed from an EU member state, then you are only required to register you presence here ([I]Rgisztracios Igazolas[I].

I did mine on Monday, see my thread 'Officially Registered'
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:33 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jackie and welcome to the forum. As Duztee says above, it makes a huge difference as to whether or not you are from an EU country, if so, it is a very straight forward process.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Hi Guys

Thanks for the welcome.
I am actually a UK national which I know makes things a lot easier for me.
I read your post Duztee and was encouraged that it only took you an hour, great stuff. I guess I just wanted to clarify that there is nothing else required of me i.e. if I want to work, do I need an identity card or residence card. Trying to find this sort of info on the internet is a bit of a minefield.
Has anyone tried with the language?
All the best to you guys
Jacks
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mg2jc
Has anyone tried with the language?
Yup - been here 18 years, I reckon a few more years and I will have it cracked

Regards working in Hungary - why not drop the embassy a line, they should know and give an answer in writing (or email). It will make a difference if you are working self employed or employed. Go the wrong route and NI can be horrendous. In the normal run of things payroll taxes (NI, tax etc.) adds up to 47%. (employer and employee combined) If you will be teaching English part time then you may offered work 'off the books' which is naughty. (The black economy runs at 30% or more of GDP) Make sure you have your European Health Card from the UK to ensure continuity of medical cover without charge
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:35 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Yup - been here 18 years, I reckon a few more years and I will have it cracked
Only a few
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jackie,
I was very lucky to arrive to a totally empty office, but threads by others still indicate that it is a quick process, assuming you take all the relevant paperwork!

The language is not a problem, go to :- www.bmbah.hu
left hand side bar, click the Union Jack.
when the page opens in English, look along the Header bar and choose Administration. from the drop down menu you can either opt for:-
[I]Procedures which will give you all the information you require (in English)
Standard Forms.[I]Opens a list of forms, do not stop at the residence ones at the top, go to the 4th one up from the bottom, Data Sheet for the Issuance of Registration Certificate and Notification of Residence.

Don't worry the title is longer than the form!
It is in English and is the same one you will be given at the office, so save time and fill it in before you go!

You will need, Passport, bank statements to show you have sufficient funds or regular income, a short note from the property owner giving permission to live where you are, a 1000 forint stamp from the Post Office. (They stick this to the form and sign across it) (The Post Office is across the street)

As I said if you drive there is a car park on top of the building.
Be Careful with Hungarian forms, date of birth is always given Year, month, Day. or backwards to us!

Last edited by duztee; Jan 11th 2013 at 3:50 am.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Hi Guys
Massive massive thank you for your replies. Really good to know there are people out there willing to provide some advise free of charge, much appreciated.
Peter - 18 years you say hmmmmm I thought giving myself 2 years was realistic, maybe I should be revising my time scale. I ran a charity in Romania, Transylvania where they all speak Hungarian and I really really want to start conversing in their mother tongue instead of us always reverting to English. I will conquer the language one day.
Duztee - I am pinning my hopes on an empty office like you :-) was it the first door you went in. My last attempt, there seemed to be 3 doors along the left-hand side of the building. Luckily I live in Budapest just 20 mins by Vilamos (tram) so no need to drive amongst the crazed one-way streets.
Thanks
Jacks
Old Jan 11th 2013, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Jackie,
First door coming from the car park.
So I would guess walking, turn off Budafoki ut into Sztregova then it would be the last door, (Just before the parking attendants hut in the centre of the alley).
The is a sign sticking out over the door, can't remember what it said but must have been obvious because I found it!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 3:31 am
Just Joined

g1ant66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi Jackie and welcome to the forum. As Duztee says above, it makes a huge difference as to whether or not you are from an EU country, if so, it is a very straight forward process.

hi there so does this mean if register presence in hungary dont need to get a residency permit.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by g1ant66
hi there so does this mean if register presence in hungary dont need to get a residency permit.
just found this ...

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Hu...e-Registration

For EU citizens

From 1 July 2007 instead of receiving a Residence Permit, a Registration Card will be issued for you for unlimited period of time (without reference to the fact that you are required or not to obtain a work permit), so as long as you have a continual status (working, studying, etc.) in Hungary you do not need to apply for a new one.

Whether you need a work permit or not depends on the bilateral agreements between your home country and Hungary (read our article “Working in Hungary” for detailed information).

You will need to provide proof of accommodation, employment and the ability to cover you and your family’s costs during your stay in Hungary.

In case all necessary documents are collected the Registration Card will be issued at once at the Immigration Office. Once you get the Registration Card the Immigration Office will post your Address Card to you.

It is important that your Registration Card is valid only together with your Address Card and Passport!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 6:39 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by g1ant66
Let me know if you are here, going to market tomorrow so can drop by.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Let me know if you are here, going to market tomorrow so can drop by.
yes i am here in all day