Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Moving to Balaton

Moving to Balaton

Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:44 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Balaton

Originally Posted by richardmc
xpats meet monthly, one venue is the Piki Restaurant Balatonszentgyorgy thee other i believe is Glenesdias (spelling)
No, it's at Piki all the time now :-) Second tuesday of the month.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Cheers boss
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I have been the past few weeks and boy do I have another story for you both. Remind me to tell you the one about being site manager on the adobe house
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Tomsky2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

wo hoo I know where that is too Balatonszentgyorgy..lol
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Another ask, I am enquiring about AA breakdown cover for our trip to Hungary through France etc. AA is quite expensive so is there anyone out there has tajken cover from another source.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I used Green Flag for European cover but I can't comment on the standard of service as I have not needed to call them. You do have to keep plenty of credit on your mobile phone as I think you have to call a number in UK if you break down.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

With car insurance, there was an option for breakdown cover in europe. That was with Stuart Collins, which covers you for unlimited european travel for one year. I found some breakdown covers had so many conditions it was impossible to see any benefit.
Even if the worse happens, don't panic. In years past I have broken down in Germany and Austria. It wasn't a problem, just try and get off the motorway if you can. If not, police will help to organise a tow to the nearest garage. I found everyone to be helpful and the work was done in most garages. In fact it was more straight forward than filling in papers and claims etc.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by richardmc
Another ask, I am enquiring about AA breakdown cover for our trip to Hungary through France etc. AA is quite expensive so is there anyone out there has tajken cover from another source.
I got it through the AA as I have UK membership for £120 incl. parts/ repair.

If you have Tesco vouchers the RAC has good European cover.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Soproni is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're going to get any type of AA or RAC type cover, don't forget to go through Quidco or TopCashback as you can gain some nice amounts of cash back.

AA: http://www.quidco.com/aa-uk-breakdown/

RAC: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/search/merchants/?s=RAC

If that interests, place me as a referrer. shaggydabbydotcb on Topcashback and use this link for Quidco: http://www.quidco.com/user/477/

I think I'd get a fiver
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I used Green Flag for European cover but I can't comment on the standard of service as I have not needed to call them. You do have to keep plenty of credit on your mobile phone as I think you have to call a number in UK if you break down.
Just in case anyone else uses Green Flag I have just had to write to them:

"Dear Sir / Madam,
I took out European Breakdown cover with your company in July 2011 to cover me for 3 house moving trips from Scotland to Hungary. At no stage did I consider taking any option of automatic renewal of the cover as I can make arrangements locally now I live in Hungary. For this reason I did not inform you of my change of address, which took place in November 2011. I now drive a different vehicle in any case.
You will imagine my dismay therefore, to receive my August statement from Clydesdale Bank and discover that your company has helped itself to £103.88 of my money. I am giving you the opportunity to rectify this error before I report the transaction to the bank as fraudulent.

Yours faithfully,"
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:54 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Unfortunately, like most insurance companies nowadays, there is probably a clause in their T&C's regarding automatic renewal. By agreeing to their T&C's, you are therefore agreeing to the automatic renewal and the onus is on you to cancel the policy.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Some hopefully helpful info: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/comm...nce-47420.aspx
Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:18 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Soproni
That seems to confirm that the company have an auto renewal clause in their T&C's. Our insurance company has a similar clause though they always mail us in advance with instructions on how to cancel should we no longer require insurance.

From the Green Flag site

Appears the AA and RAC operate the same automatic renewal policy these days.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

The terms and conditions are a 30 page document, I wonder how many people read through that lot! Also, I simply do not believe that most people want European breakdown cover every year. They might want UK cover every year and the option to upgrade to Europe cover when they happen to take their vehicle abroad.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fidobsa
The terms and conditions are a 30 page document, I wonder how many people read through that lot!
Probabily not many read all the T&C's, but they should or they may get money taken out of their accounts when they're not expecting it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.