British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Mosquito Season (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/mosquito-season-804047/)

Rural Hungary Aug 8th 2013 8:37 pm

Re: Mosquito Season

" The Fly " they are actually more horrifying than the film Fen. They have the most enormous eyes which really freak me out - I detest the things.

FenTiger Aug 9th 2013 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 10841585)
" The Fly " they are actually more horrifying than the film Fen. They have the most enormous eyes which really freak me out - I detest the things.

That's the film I was thinking of .... I almost included the title in my post but thought ... nah ... can't be 'The Fly' ... sounded too simple ..... now I'm freaking out .... will look out for them from tomorrow with camera ready!

Rural Hungary Aug 9th 2013 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 10842112)
That's the film I was thinking of .... I almost included the title in my post but thought ... nah ... can't be 'The Fly' ... sounded too simple ..... now I'm freaking out .... will look out for them from tomorrow with camera ready!

I just fished about 20 out the swimming pool - yuck. I have to now admit that I can no longer be smug about not being bitten this year as something got me last night and though I didn't feel a thing, I have a large itchy swelling :(

FenTiger Aug 12th 2013 8:00 am

Arrived Hungary Saturday evening. Not been bitten yet by either mozzies or flies.

fidobsa Aug 12th 2013 9:37 am

There seem to be far less around now it's cooled down a bit.

Rural Hungary Aug 16th 2013 3:17 pm

Hmmm, the cooler weather has brought a few more flies here....

John Gilbert Aug 20th 2013 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 10853978)
Hmmm, the cooler weather has brought a few more flies here....

seem to be allot of bögöly - horsefly around this year though I managed to avoid their bite - maybe they are also put off by the foul smelling "jungle juice"

FenTiger Aug 20th 2013 6:05 pm

Have not been bitten once at my parents-in-law's house but at the sister-in-laws been bitten several times! Not sure why .... but atleast not been bitten for past few days. Maybe they don't like barna sor which I drink litres of!

fidobsa Aug 20th 2013 6:19 pm

Would that be the Dreher Bak? I like that and they sell it at the bar just opposite my house!

FenTiger Aug 21st 2013 6:51 am

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 10860543)
Would that be the Dreher Bak? I like that and they sell it at the bar just opposite my house!

I've drunk various barna sors here. Demon, Staropramen, Dreher Bak and barna sor from pubs poured into our own bottles. Think I prefer the latter which is not as strong as the others. Most of the barna sor I buy from COOP, Auchan or the "corner" shops which now sell tobacco and alkohol.

Rural Hungary Aug 21st 2013 7:23 am

Oops, I thought Jungle juice was something more potent like palinka or a mixed concoction. Mind you, the smell coming from my scrumpy would make it a contender.....

FenTiger May 26th 2014 6:40 am

Looking ahead to coming over to Hungary I've been looking at how to keep the mozzies away. Found this below.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Quic...toInsect-Trap/

Might try it out when I am there.

Pollypaprika May 26th 2014 8:14 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 11275787)
Looking ahead to coming over to Hungary I've been looking at how to keep the mozzies away. Found this below.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Quic...toInsect-Trap/

Might try it out when I am there.

We tried that a couple of years ago...it worked (sort of)...but it's messy and stinks :-) I am just planting lavender everywhere....

FenTiger May 26th 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Polgardi (Post 11275872)
We tried that a couple of years ago...it worked (sort of)...but it's messy and stinks :-) I am just planting lavender everywhere....

I did wonder .... what do you do when you have a bottle full of mosquitoes? How do you dispose of them?

Pollypaprika May 26th 2014 8:39 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 11275889)
I did wonder .... what do you do when you have a bottle full of mosquitoes? How do you dispose of them?

Exactly...a bottle full of dead mozzies is not a pleasant thing...I would rather repel and discourage them then kill them....probably won't be saying that soon!

To be honest, I cannot remember what we did with the bottle...I think I got hubby to do the dirty work :p